2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Notes on the '12+ garage opener visor assembly

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/11, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Notes on the '12+ garage opener visor assembly

This is from another thread, but I feel that enough people have questions about it that it should have its own thread with a better title.

First of all, it's not a Homelink system. It's a Lear Car2U system, and its website is http://www.learcar2u.com. Some garage openers - like mine - aren't compatible with the opener as is, and you must purchase a "conversion module" which is $35 shipped. Bummer, yes, but you can take it with you if you move and not have to worry about it again. You can enter the part number of your current remote to see if you'll need one.

Second thing is that a lot of people are wondering about whether you can simply get a '12 visor and plug it into an '11. Well, there are rumors that the '11s have the necessary wiring already in the headliner, and that would make it pretty dead simple, but even if it isn't, it should still be pretty easy as long as you're handy with a set of crimpers.

Here's the body of the post I copied (I wrote this one too [here's the link], so it's all kosher)

Short version: It's not gonna be plug 'n play, but it'll be pretty easy to install nonetheless.

First, to remove the visor, you gotta work on this thing:

First, you open it up and flip it out to the side so it looks like this:

You'll notice there are no screws visible. That's because Ford decided that screws are ugly and you shouldn't see any. So, you'll have to pry the plastic cover off. How you do it is up to you, but here's what it looks like from the other side:

Obviously, you have to slip it over the arm of the visor.

Once you get that off, you are greeted with this:

I guess Ford likes Torx bits, eh? These are T-25 screws:

Once you get them out (they're pretty long), you can see that it is indeed a simple two-wire arrangement - power and ground. That's the good news; all the circuitry is internal to the visor. Pull on it a little more and the wires change color (the connector is hidden under some foam):

Here's the bad news. The two wires that go into the headliner simply go into the main rear-view mirror harness, like such:

So you can't simply plug the visor in. However, since all you need is a power and a ground, you can simply splice off either the rear-view mirror power leads or the map light leads. Getting the connectors... well, that's up to you but if I had to do it, I'd just cut the connector off the visor wires and splice them into the wires spliced off the mirror leads. If I decided to not be lazy I might get a MOLEX connector and use that.
Old 3/13/11, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey hawk I just confirmed that the wiring loop is present in the 2011. It appears to be a simple splice.
Attached Images  
Old 3/21/11, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this, I have a 2012 on order and I would have been going NUTS if I couldn't get the opener to work. I hope it works with mine, but if it doesn't, I'll gladly pay the $35 for the module.
Old 3/21/11, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm.. I wonder if I can retro a '12 visor w/ this into a '10...
Old 3/21/11, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
Thanks for this, I have a 2012 on order and I would have been going NUTS if I couldn't get the opener to work. I hope it works with mine, but if it doesn't, I'll gladly pay the $35 for the module.

Hey if you go the the Lear Car2U website you can check compatibility with your garage door opener. It will work with mine.
Old 3/21/11, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thomas S
Hey if you go the the Lear Car2U website you can check compatibility with your garage door opener. It will work with mine.
Will do that when I get home this evening.
Old 3/21/11, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Remember to type the part number of your remote in, not the part number of the opener itself.
Old 3/21/11, 06:27 PM
GT Member

The site says my Genie fixed-code remote is no problem, but it said it couldn't find my Genie Intellicode (rolling-type) remote.

So I Googled, and found this from Genie's site:

http://www.geniecompany.com/geniecompany.aspx?cid=1226

It says Car2U should work with ANY Intellicode opener, without needing to purchase an additional transmitter. So I've got my fingers crossed. Just an FYI for anyone else out there with a Genie Intellicode.
Old 3/22/11, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

What about the 2012 passenger side, is that lighted? G/F is constantly complaining about wanting a light for that mirror. Driver's side i could care less, for the car2u or the light...

However what would be nice is the ability for it to be pulled out to extend once it is turned to block light on the side window
Old 3/23/11, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

It does extend on its rail a fair distance.

Yes, the passenger mirror is lighted as well, though an easier solution would be to tell her to hold a flashlight in her mouth!

Haha just kidding, don't actually do that.
Old 3/23/11, 12:40 PM

The convertible stock visors appear to be different. They have a larger mounting plate (no plastic cover) and the rod looks to be beefier as well.
2011 Convertible GT Premium