Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does anyone have a 2012 mustang yet?

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/11, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone have a 2012 mustang yet?

I was wondering if anyone who has a 2012 mustang with the homelink visor can post some info about how they are wired? I would like to know where it plug into on the wiring harness? Thanks
Old 3/9/11, 05:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hawkeye18 has one...
Old 3/9/11, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The local dealer here in Norfolk va... I just got my 11 from has three 12s coming in right around saint paddys day... One has the brembos like mine..

Last edited by freyke; 3/9/11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 3/9/11, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one, and it has the homelink (it's not actually homelink, btw - it's a Lear Car2U system), but I haven't taken a look at how it hooks up. AFAIK, all of the circuitry is internal to the sun visor and it simply takes the power and leads from the visor light. Why do you want to know?
Old 3/9/11, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Saw a 2012 V6 Lava Red in the showroom today when I was buying my 5.0L. I thought it was black the whole time until I walked up to it just before leaving.
Old 3/9/11, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have one, and it has the homelink (it's not actually homelink, btw - it's a Lear Car2U system), but I haven't taken a look at how it hooks up. AFAIK, all of the circuitry is internal to the sun visor and it simply takes the power and leads from the visor light. Why do you want to know?
Old 3/9/11, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Because I want to buy one for my 2011 but I want to make sure it will work? They cost 300.00 and if I buy it from ford " no returns" can you do me a favor and find out where the visor plugs in? A hint on taking off the interior map light display is just pulling straight down on it. It's just being held on by two clips. Thanks it would save me a lot of trouble.
Old 3/12/11, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, I took the visor out to see what the skinny on it is.

Short version: It's not gonna be plug 'n play, but it'll be pretty easy to install nonetheless.

First, to remove the visor, you gotta work on this thing:

First, you open it up and flip it out to the side so it looks like this:

You'll notice there are no screws visible. That's because Ford decided that screws are ugly and you shouldn't see any. So, you'll have to pry the plastic cover off. How you do it is up to you, but here's what it looks like from the other side:

Obviously, you have to slip it over the arm of the visor.

Once you get that off, you are greeted with this:

I guess Ford likes Torx bits, eh? These are T-25 screws:

Once you get them out (they're pretty long), you can see that it is indeed a simple two-wire arrangement - power and ground. That's the good news; all the circuitry is internal to the visor. Pull on it a little more and the wires change color (the connector is hidden under some foam):

Here's the bad news. The two wires that go into the headliner simply go into the main rear-view mirror harness, like such:

So you can't simply plug the visor in. However, since all you need is a power and a ground, you can simply splice off either the rear-view mirror power leads or the map light leads. Getting the connectors... well, that's up to you but if I had to do it, I'd just cut the connector off the visor wires and splice them into the wires spliced off the mirror leads. If I decided to not be lazy I might get a MOLEX connector and use that.

So there you have it.
Old 3/12/11, 07:48 PM
Banned

Dude, you ARE AWESOME, thanks man. I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you did there. Thanks A LOT
Old 3/13/11, 03:59 AM
GTR Member

I was under the impression that the '11s have the plug above the headliner, just not connected. IIRC, the lighted visors/garage door opener were pulled last minute.
Old 3/13/11, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I was under the impression that the '11s have the plug above the headliner, just not connected. IIRC, the lighted visors/garage door opener were pulled last minute.
I sure hope this is the case. Any '11 owners check this out yet?
Old 3/13/11, 11:41 AM
Banned

I have some possible good news for those who own a 2011 and want the Car2u visor. The wiring appears to be there as you can see by the pic. The visor's wiring can probably be spliced right into the harness right where the factory does it.
Attached Images  
Old 3/13/11, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I have some possible good news for those who own a 2011 and want the Car2u visor. The wiring appears to be there as you can see by the pic. The visor's wiring can probably be spliced right into the harness right where the factory does it.
There might be a connector under all that tape. It looks like the harness has been folded back on itself and taped up to protect the connector. That could mean it's plug-and-play after all.
Old 3/13/11, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There might be a connector under all that tape. It looks like the harness has been folded back on itself and taped up to protect the connector. That could mean it's plug-and-play after all.
It just a "hot" wire (checked it) and a ground. No connector
Old 3/13/11, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's too bad. Even still it should be easy to connect since power and ground is all that's needed.
Old 6/28/11, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

this may be a dumb question, but in the picture of the wiring from the 2011, which is the hot and which is the ground? I don't do any electrical work....
Old 4/3/13, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Ok, I took the visor out to see what the skinny on it is.

Short version: It's not gonna be plug 'n play, but it'll be pretty easy to install nonetheless.

First, to remove the visor, you gotta work on this thing:

First, you open it up and flip it out to the side so it looks like this:

You'll notice there are no screws visible. That's because Ford decided that screws are ugly and you shouldn't see any. So, you'll have to pry the plastic cover off. How you do it is up to you, but here's what it looks like from the other side:

Obviously, you have to slip it over the arm of the visor.

Once you get that off, you are greeted with this:

I guess Ford likes Torx bits, eh? These are T-25 screws:

Once you get them out (they're pretty long), you can see that it is indeed a simple two-wire arrangement - power and ground. That's the good news; all the circuitry is internal to the visor. Pull on it a little more and the wires change color (the connector is hidden under some foam):

Here's the bad news. The two wires that go into the headliner simply go into the main rear-view mirror harness, like such:

So you can't simply plug the visor in. However, since all you need is a power and a ground, you can simply splice off either the rear-view mirror power leads or the map light leads. Getting the connectors... well, that's up to you but if I had to do it, I'd just cut the connector off the visor wires and splice them into the wires spliced off the mirror leads. If I decided to not be lazy I might get a MOLEX connector and use that.

So there you have it.
Could you please give me the part number for the visor?

Thanks,

Manuel
Old 4/4/13, 04:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For my 2011, I bought a used sunvisor with a Homelink module in it. I removed it from this donor visor (paid a wopping $25.00 for it off ebay; any Homelink in a visor will work, no matter what brand (GM, Dodge, Ford, etc), and installed it in the center roof console (has the overhead lights and motion sensor for those with the factory security system).

You will want to program the Homelink first by temporarily connecting the hot lead and ground to your battery. Then install it in the center console. Connect the hot lead of the Homelink to the hot lead of the overhead lights, and connect the ground lead of the Homelink to a simple push switch (5 bucks at any parts store or hardware store). Connect a wire to the other post of the push switch, then connect it to the ground wire of the overhead lights in the console.

You drill a hole in the console to mount the tiny push switch, then re-install the overhead console.

A bunch cheaper that buying the visor. Looks factory too.

If you do a search here on Homelink, you'll see the install with pics from another member that did this.

Last edited by Bucko; 4/4/13 at 04:52 AM.
Old 4/4/13, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did anyone ask if you buy the visors from ford, how much they charge to install? Maybe they do for free?
Old 4/4/13, 10:28 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a dealer never does anything for free

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a 2012 mustang yet?