Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

not a race or kill thread, but does this happen to you?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/13, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its only an 11 V6..but never get anyone trying to race.

The ONLY time I remember it happening was when about 4 people in a rent-a-pickup from Home Depot kept trying to go. I finally took off a bit (still within speed limit) and let off and was surprised to find them almost there with me. They were REALLY hammering the rent-a-truck. I pushed back down and left them trying. That's it in over 2 years though.
Old 10/9/13, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I was at a stoplight the other day in our 13 GT500 and some fool in a beater 1st gen Durango pulled up along side me and threw a couple revs. He didn't even have the truck in neutral. So every time he revved, he lurched into the intersection. The light turned green and he took off. I just laughed. When he saw that I didn't race, he slowed down and threw a couple more revs when I was next to him.

At the next light, same thing. Revving and lurching into the intersection. Green=go man! He took off again as I just drove normally, laughing. He kept if floored and got about 50' ahead and hit the flashers. HA!

I'm sure he's posted in some Mopar or Durango forum about how he blew away a new GT500. His parents must be so proud.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 10/9/13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10/9/13, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I always get morons in turbo diesel pickups trying to race me. I hate people who drive those things and try to mess with me. I just keep cruising and laugh to myself. I do live in south Texas so there's an abundance of idiots in pickups who think because they cut their mufflers off that their truck is somehow fast and cool. I had a guy in a SE V6 Challenger try me the other day, to which I just laughed when I heard his automatic V6 kick down a gear and start to go as I kept cruising along like a normal person. I just can't help but laugh at a huge massive, fat, obese challenger with a v6 trying to race me.
Old 10/10/13, 04:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Just let them egg you guys on. Don't fall for it.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/10/13 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10/10/13, 10:02 AM

It happens over here in Euroland just as much. It’s always the same crowd too; either a boy in a clapped-out Fiat wearing too tight pants and jeans jacket, rocking that chin strap beard, thinking his new exhaust will be turning that 90 horsepower traffic disturbance into an asphalt-churning racecar and if it’s not them it’s a kid with spiky hair in a pre-facelift second generation Subaru Impreza showing off fake WRX badges.

Deep down they know they can’t beat you, so why bother playing their silly game?
Old 10/10/13, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I get people coming up to me trying to get a race going. I don't race my car but I do like cruising along with another fast car along side. Windows down and the rumble of the two cars down shifting.
I had two younger boys in a 2006 GTO pull up to me on the freeway wanting a go at it. In the end he got all crazy on the throttle.
Yesterday I had a Camaro trying to mess with me on the way to work.
Today I had a car in back of me, I thought he was messing around. Turns out it was a State trouper just wanted to go around me.
Its tempting.
Old 10/10/13, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
I get people coming up to me trying to get a race going. I don't race my car but I do like cruising along with another fast car along side. Windows down and the rumble of the two cars down shifting. I had two younger boys in a 2006 GTO pull up to me on the freeway wanting a go at it. In the end he got all crazy on the throttle. Yesterday I had a Camaro trying to mess with me on the way to work. Today I had a car in back of me, I thought he was messing around. Turns out it was a State trouper just wanted to go around me. Its tempting.
Yeah I agree on the cruising with a fellow car guy you run into. Especially if it's another Mustang with louder exhaust, and you shift just a little before or after each other, so you can hear that rumble twice...awww surround sound!
Old 10/10/13, 11:24 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yeah I agree on the cruising with a fellow car guy you run into. Especially if it's another Mustang with louder exhaust, and you shift just a little before or after each other, so you can hear that rumble twice...awww surround sound!
Lol that's a good one! Unfortunately not many mustangs around here
Old 10/10/13, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Lol that's a good one! Unfortunately not many mustangs around here
I'd cruise with you! But I wouldn't be able to keep up with you stock, let alone now
Old 10/10/13, 11:58 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd cruise with you! But I wouldn't be able to keep up with you stock, let alone now
lol Patrick...

good thing I drive like a gramma
Old 10/11/13, 01:53 PM
GT Member

In SE Wisconsin, we have an abundance of idiots who try to jump you from the right lane at a light, just before they rear-end a row of parked cars. Not just performance cars either, I'm talking soccer moms in minivans

Though my Mustang is lowered with a very good FRPP suspension and has FRPP sport axlebacks, I know my place. V6, 2.73 rear gears and an automatic (plus not the fastest reaction time). I let'um pass versus forcing them to accordian their sled into the back of a parked car. I take comfort knowing I could shame them at an autocross track.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 10/11/13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10/11/13, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Just had a hyundai tiburon pat his roof at me, I roflcoptered away.
Old 10/11/13, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my GT for about 2 weeks now. The only car to mess with me twice was a dodge pickup truck. Both times. One day I noticed this clown behind me weaving in and out of traffic, came up behind me and was tailgating bad. He was practically in my back seat. I changed lanes because I didn't want him hitting me and he followed me in every lane I switched to... tailgating the whole time. I couldn't go anywhere because of traffic. He finally turned off. The other one was a few days later at a red light next too me. He revved a couple of times. Light changes and I drive off normally as he obviously floors the gas. I was going to let him go, but I floored it, shifted to 2nd with a chirp and was already past him. I eased off, came to the next light and again...he floors it. This time I just let him go.
Old 10/11/13, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed this too with my Mach. It had been a while since I had a sporty car, so I was like WTF? at first. Then I realized it was just the car, not me in particular. I'm so worried about tickets, etc that I never play. Too dangerous.
Old 10/11/13, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had three Hondas pull up next to me last week trying to show off. One of them pulled next to me, revved a few times, then turned. I had two guys in a newer Camaro SS want to race me once when we were surrounded by traffic. I just shook my head - which they probably couldn't see through my tinted windows.
Old 10/12/13, 04:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Last1
I've had my GT for about 2 weeks now. The only car to mess with me twice was a dodge pickup truck. Both times. One day I noticed this clown behind me weaving in and out of traffic, came up behind me and was tailgating bad. He was practically in my back seat. I changed lanes because I didn't want him hitting me and he followed me in every lane I switched to... tailgating the whole time. I couldn't go anywhere because of traffic. He finally turned off...
Man, that would creep me out. Now-a-days you just don't know what kind of psycho may be in the car (or truck) next to you. Maybe his mom yelled at him FOR THE LAST TIME.
Old 10/12/13, 04:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ustabawannab
Man, that would creep me out. Now-a-days you just don't know what kind of psycho may be in the car (or truck) next to you. Maybe his mom yelled at him FOR THE LAST TIME.
Lol... * creepy music plays in background *
Old 10/12/13, 11:39 AM

This has been happening to me a lot since I got my Stang, I had never really thought about it. For me, it depends on traffic conditions, what the other car is and who is sitting in the passenger seat. Some of the idiot kids just do it because they think I'm a girl and can'd drive. I usually just hightail it off the light and they give me a thumbs up when and if they catch up. I never go much over the speed limit and since I'm a paralegal for a criminal defense attorney I know where not to do this! As for who is in the passenger seat, my husband gets a kick out of it because he's never had or ridden in any kind of performance vehicle and couldn't drive it if he had to. My mom loves it because after two knee replacements she can't drive a stick any more and is jealous. Anyway, I am rambling. My basic answer is I can't say I've never done it but I don't do it every time somebody tries to push me although it is tempting.

Besides, I have a stock V6 so I know that there are a lot of cars that will blow me away. Even though it's stock I still get kids wanting me to rev it so I oblige on that level. I did my share of street racing back in the day in my '80 GT on the curvies out in the country around here. These days I just enjoy knowing how much power I have under me even without any mods or spending a fortune on the Shelby they had that I really wanted but couldn't afford. LOL!
Old 10/13/13, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Boostd4
Happens literally every time I take the Boss out. Funny thing is I get a lot of the Charger and 300C guys wanting to race...don't really understand that one.

I have seen the Camaro phenomenon as well. I think enough of them have tried their luck with the new 5.0 to know better. That SS is SSlow.
^This, i get a lot of chargers too, for some reason.
ive owned my car for a month, and not a week goes by that some idiot tries to race me. i remember the first week i had my car some kid in a honda civic, with a huge *** exhaust kept on revving his engine next to me.

btw
SS=super slow?

oh and tonyapony thats funny about those kids thinking that your a girl and cant drive. i went to get my inspection sticker, the inspection person was a woman, and she drove my mustang (even though it was only a for bit) it was smoother and better than me...
my wife was laughing.. its my first manual car.
Old 10/14/13, 04:09 AM
I Have No Life

For some reason, the idiots have stopped egging me... I wonder why that is

Quick Reply: not a race or kill thread, but does this happen to you?