2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/11, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.0
Hmm. I'm talking about about getting "gear blocked", you're talking about getting "**** blocked". There is a little bit of difference, but when they both happen on the same night it really pisses me off.
Two options:

1) Go to dealership and have it checked and fixed ( good luck) ! Also have Deysha from Ford CS excalate your problem.

2) If not satisfied with option #1, get a aftermarket shifter and bracket and swap out OEM tranny fluid and replaced with Redline MTL.

I did option #2 and very pleased with the results. Hopefully something positive comes out of that NHTSA investigation and Ford fixes cars with tranny issues in a timely manner.
Old 8/25/11, 06:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really want to get a tuner a turn the skip shift off but it could harm my warranty.
Old 8/25/11, 06:21 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I really want to get a tuner a turn the skip shift off but it could harm my warranty.
Then get the FRPP one and enjoy their 3/36k warranty along with it. Or, crawl under and disconnect the solenoid plug.
Old 8/25/11, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude just unplug the solenoid...

Plug it back in if you need to go in for service.
Old 8/25/11, 06:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Just sounds like so much trouble. I'll keep my '07.
Old 8/25/11, 07:03 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Just sounds like so much trouble. I'll keep my '07.
How could it be too much work for you? You have a drive on lift in the garage. God forbid you have to press a button and walk under it.
Old 8/25/11, 07:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Then get the FRPP one and enjoy their 3/36k warranty along with it. Or, crawl under and disconnect the solenoid plug.
Yes and I love how responsive the car is now also, it was already fast but now 3rd, 4th,and 5th gear are sick!
Old 8/25/11, 08:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
How could it be too much work for you? You have a drive on lift in the garage. God forbid you have to press a button and walk under it.
Still sounds like a lot of work. Besides I'm sure the R wouldn't even start if I tried to drive or off the lift. Then I'd probably want to drive it. But it needs an inspection sticker. See. Too much work.
Old 8/25/11, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Still sounds like a lot of work. Besides I'm sure the R wouldn't even start if I tried to drive or off the lift. Then I'd probably want to drive it. But it needs an inspection sticker. See. Too much work.
I have room for the R is it's too much work for ya' ! Just sayin'
Old 8/26/11, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.0
That's how my car was until I got about 13000 miles on it. I hope yours stays working perfect, but if it doesn't, how would you want to be treated when you post about your experience with the MT82, in a MT82 thread, on a Mustang forum? Remember that when typing out your responses. I'm not some troll hiding behind a keyboard, I'm a real person, with a real car, with a really ****ty transmission. YMMV, but remember, I love my car, I just want it to be right, like yours is and mine was for the first year.
Sounds like mine. Shifted like a dream for 11000+ miles. Then last Tuesday it was balky. Two hours later I couldn't even put it into 1st, 2nd, or reverse unless the engine was shut off. She's in the shop right now waiting for a new clutch/flywheel assembly, which is unfortunately back-ordered for another week.

Some commenters have said this only happens if you abuse it. That's baloney. I've never speed-shifted or power-shifted any car, ever. I'm certainly not saying that everyone with this transmission is going to have a problem, but clearly there was a bad batch of parts or a period where things were being assembled incorrectly.
Old 8/26/11, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

I'm a little dissapointed with some of the posters here who are bashing those who have issues with their transmission. While some people with the transmission issue may be very vocal, that doesn't make it right to put them down and tell them it is all in their head. There are plenty of people experiencing the issue who are stock and do not abuse the vehicle. With that said, the car should be able to handle some spirited driving and abuse. If it is breaking because people are opening it up at the track or on the streets than something is wrong with the transmission period. Ford goes to great lengths to talk about how robust their engines are in their cars and trucks and about all the abuse they put it through. It only makes sense that they do the same for the transmission. Especially one that goes into a performance car where it is expected for people to drive harder.

If they aren't suppose to handle much abuse than the unit is garbage and really tarnishes the mustang name. I could see the transmission in a lesser vehicle having issues when you push it but a mustang? Come on.
Old 8/26/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Klay
I'm a little dissapointed with some of the posters here who are bashing those who have issues with their transmission. While some people with the transmission issue may be very vocal, that doesn't make it right to put them down and tell them it is all in their head. There are plenty of people experiencing the issue who are stock and do not abuse the vehicle. With that said, the car should be able to handle some spirited driving and abuse. If it is breaking because people are opening it up at the track or on the streets than something is wrong with the transmission period. Ford goes to great lengths to talk about how robust their engines are in their cars and trucks and about all the abuse they put it through. It only makes sense that they do the same for the transmission. Especially one that goes into a performance car where it is expected for people to drive harder.

If they aren't suppose to handle much abuse than the unit is garbage and really tarnishes the mustang name. I could see the transmission in a lesser vehicle having issues when you push it but a mustang? Come on.
^^Well done. I've been feeling this way for a long time about this subject but haven't said anything. Razzing on the guys with tranny trouble and saying, in essence, "you're weird, there's nothing wrong with MY transmission!" is like making fun of the handicapped guy b/c he's in a wheel chair because his legs gave out but yours didn't. You don't ridicule the guy for it, you just be darn glad YOU aren't in that wheelchair and try not to make the other guy's life any more miserable than it already is.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 8/26/11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 8/26/11, 08:09 PM
Post *****

It's not making fun of the guys with tranny issues, it's making light of the guy carrying the tranny cross on his back.
Old 8/26/11, 08:14 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I think people are just sick of the over reaction. less drama queen stuff
Old 8/26/11, 09:44 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Some folks have issues and some don't. I don't! But, I realize that there is a problem. What bugs me is the one idiot that keeps spewing garbage. He deserves what he gets. Is it fair to me to have to give a car away in order to sell it because of some goofball that has not a clue as to what is is talking about? I'm taking a beating on a perfectly good car because the guy spews bull all over the internet and himself! Yep, lets not make fun of him!
thats how I am feeling.
Old 8/27/11, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Klay

Right on. Get off your *** ford, suck this one up and make it right.
Old 8/27/11, 08:02 AM
GT Member

It's not making fun of the guys with tranny issues, it's making light of the guy carrying the tranny cross on his back.
I think people are just sick of the over reaction. less drama queen stuff
Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Some folks have issues and some don't. I don't! But, I realize that there is a problem. What bugs me is the one idiot that keeps spewing garbage. He deserves what he gets. Is it fair to me to have to give a car away in order to sell it because of some goofball that has not a clue as to what is is talking about? I'm taking a beating on a perfectly good car because the guy spews bull all over the internet and himself! Yep, lets not make fun of him!
Sums up my feelings also. With any mechanical/eletrical mass made device you are going to have problems. Taking it back to the manufacturer is the proper method of problem solving. Making thousands of posts on the internet bashing the company and its products is the incorrect method. There is already a legal plan in place to help those that the manufacturer seems incapable of helping/fixing...it's called the lemon law.

I will also say that JMatero (the largest basher/poster by far on any vehicle he has owned apparently) has also refused to give his VIN so that we can see Ford's side of the story. He also refused to give Deysha his VIN when she asked for it.

So, there may be more to this than we are shown.

Last edited by Timeless; 8/27/11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 8/27/11, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
Sums up my feelings also. With any mechanical/eletrical mass made device you are going to have problems. Taking it back to the manufacturer is the proper method of problem solving. Making thousands of posts on the internet bashing the company and its products is the incorrect method. There is already a legal plan in place to help those that the manufacturer seems incapable of helping/fixing...it's called the lemon law.

I will also say that JMatero (the largest basher/poster by far on any vehicle he has owned apparently) has also refused to give his VIN so that we can see Ford's side of the story. He also refused to give Deysha his VIN when she asked for it.

So, there may be more to this than we are shown.
I didn't know about the "top secret" VIN.
Old 8/27/11, 09:12 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I just do nto get why he keeps reposting the same thing over and over.. we heard it. get it fixed and move on. welcome to life.
Old 8/27/11, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just do nto get why he keeps reposting the same thing over and over.. we heard it. get it fixed and move on. welcome to life.
Yes.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems