2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/07, 10:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should Ford return turbocharging to the Mustang and the more "Euro" approach to performance - hope it learned something from the early turbo 4 GT/SVO debacle in the last 20+ years and make it a truly lower-cost alternative to the V8.
Old 12/9/07, 12:13 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Should Ford return turbocharging to the Mustang and the more "Euro" approach to performance - hope it learned something from the early turbo 4 GT/SVO debacle in the last 20+ years and make it a truly lower-cost alternative to the V8.
Are you saying that they should or shouldnt use a turbo or perhaps 4 cylinder? I for one never want to see a 4 cylinder back in the stang, how about a stock turbo'd V8?
Old 12/9/07, 12:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Where did this info come from? Is that from one of the customer clinics?
Old 12/9/07, 05:30 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Where did this info come from? Is that from one of the customer clinics?
that stuff must have been from someone at a focus group. they shouldn't pick artist for those.

If they picked me I would have a completed detailed photoshop of every by the next day.
Old 12/9/07, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Why would Ford go through the trouble to cover the door handles, but not the side mirrors?

Just throwing that out there.
Old 12/9/07, 08:23 PM
GT Member

What did you see/hear of the new interior. All I saw was info saying it was heavily camoed. Are there some pix or info I missed???

Originally Posted by Boomer

The interior looks interesting (from what we see, and different than the current car).
Old 12/9/07, 10:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dated Aug 2006
Focus Group/Study
(sorry I can't say/remember who posted this, but I did compile it from a bunch of posts) and I'm going to just sumarize the points on what was shown/said.

- The front is more modern but still carries the 'mustang look'
- Did not care for the new tail lights and sculpted rear bumper.
- The new interior is sweet. Nicely stitched seats, metal accents around the gear shift and door speaker.

- Video display in center column with rows of grouped buttons below for HVAC and sound systems, navigation. Much more upscale look than the current plastic interior.

- No info on drivetrain

- The rear quarter windows and indeed the entire roof line is unchanged.

- headlights were a more modern design and the fog lights were projector style lenses.

- The rear fenders are more muscular, the body line along the side is more pronounced, the nose is more aggressive and slightly shorter grille. They really seam to be going for the muscular, agressive look.

- Fogs are down low where the shelby's are but small projector beam lenses.

- the new rear fender has hips.

- The tail lights were not concave.

- tail of the car was convex but flattened across the center section.
tailights were part of the convex shap. Still verticle tri-bar.

- The interior is upgraded in materials from what we have now. Better quality leather and more of it. Nice gloss dark grey inset on the center console face. Door panels are reshaped and stitched leather
to match the stitching in the seats. Sort of a stitched/tuck stripe up the center of the seat.
Looked very nice in black leather with white and red stitching.

- The HVAC and radio controls and navigation were all integrated into a color lcd panel inthe center concole. Not touchscreen. There were buttons and a volume **** below the screen, several rows and grouped by function.

- The hood was really nice-almost like the steeda hood but not
as far front as the steeda.

- The Antenna at least-moved to the rear qrtr. If you like the current mustang and the front of the shelby-wanted hips and more agressive lines you'll love the new mustang-cept the taillights are just strange looking.
Old 12/9/07, 10:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Dated Aug 2006
Focus Group/Study
(sorry I can't say who posted this, but I did compile it from a bunch of posts) and I'm going to just sumarize the points on what was shown/said.

- The new interior is sweet. Nicely stitched seats, metal accents around the gear shift and door speaker.

- Video display in center column with rows of grouped buttons below for HVAC and sound systems, navigation. Much more upscale look than the current plastic interior.

- No info on drivetrain

- headlights were a more modern design and the fog lights were projector style lenses.

- The rear fenders are more muscular, the body line along the side is more pronounced, the nose is more aggressive and slightly shorter grille. They really seam to be going for the muscular, agressive look.

- The interior is upgraded in materials from what we have now. Better quality leather and more of it. Nice gloss dark grey inset on the center console face. Door panels are reshaped and stitched leather
to match the stitching in the seats. Sort of a stitched/tuck stripe up the center of the seat.

- The HVAC and radio controls and navigation were all integrated into a color lcd panel inthe center concole. Not touchscreen. There were buttons and a volume **** below the screen, several rows and grouped by function.

- The Antenna at least-moved to the rear qrtr. If you like the current mustang and the front of the shelby-wanted hips and more agressive lines you'll love the new mustang-cept the taillights are just strange looking.
Niceeee
Old 12/10/07, 12:04 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
Are you saying that they should or shouldnt use a turbo or perhaps 4 cylinder? I for one never want to see a 4 cylinder back in the stang, how about a stock turbo'd V8?
A Twinforce 3.5/3.7 V6 would be what I had in mind as a alternative, balanced performance "Euro" approach to a V8-powered GT similar to what was attempted with the SVO. The only thing was, the hp/dollar didn't work out after all was said and done. Hoping Ford learned a thing or three since then if this option is brought back to the Mustang. I also do not care to see a turbo inline-4 back in a Mustang, unless Ford can magically remove enough weight to match the Fox-era cars which isn't going to happen. A turbo V8 would have to be reserved for the top dog model, whatever it will be (future SVT Cobra would be nice!).
Old 12/10/07, 02:49 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

bah leave the V6s for the Euros, American Muscle needs a V8!!!!
Old 12/10/07, 03:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Moosetang
This is a big reason I want to see a TwinForce V6 available for the GT. While we muscle heads may prefer the V8, to compete with imports and to survive the Gas price problems the more compact and efficient twin-turbo GDI V6 is the way to go.
I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the current 4.6 in the GT but creating a variable displacement verson like Cadillac had back in the 80's (remember the "V8-6-4" ?), only more reliable. I would prefer the more Euro-type twin-turbo 6 to be in a Cougar variant, along with IRS. Not sure if Ford has the $$$ to invest in all this these days, however.
Old 12/10/07, 06:21 AM
I Have No Life

They do if they spread it across other vehicles.
Old 12/10/07, 07:38 AM

I could see incorporating some "European" traits, such as a greater emphasis on overall balance, control feedback and weighting, suspension compliance to the more "American" approach of a crude, big-motored blunderbuss.

The Mustang was originally conceived of as a smaller, more balanced performance coupe alternative to the big, fast but ungainly big-motored mid/full-sized cars that later gained the moniker, "muscle car." It was only some years later, with the advent of the big-block option (390/427/428/429), and invevitable size and weight gain, that it too started becoming more of a "muscle car" as opposed to its own, self-created and disctinctive niche, "pony car."

I for one would like to see a return to these roots. I don't forsee going all the way down to a four banger as I think a V8, albeit small and revvy one (the then new 289), was part and parcel of the pony car concept from the beginning. In that vein, V8 engines in the 4-5 liter class should be perfect and with modern tech (DOHC, VVT, DI, etc.) can be tuned to make a whole lotta power (400+).

Such an approach might once again become more viable in the long term with ever increasing concerns and legislation on emissions and fuel economy, and would represent a proactive approach as opposed to how Detroit dealt with similar circumstances in the '70s -- horribly (Exhibit A: Mustang II King Cobra whose wheezing 132hp 302 was weighted down by about 800 lbs of incredibly cheesy stickers and fake adornments to appease the gods of overwrought machismo).

Sure, their will probably still be a need for some big-motored broad axe models as the muscle car aspect of the Stang's personality has become intrinsic over time, but I think the more general focus of the Stang ought to be something closer to its original conceptualization.

In that way, I could perhaps see a very highly tuned 3.5/3.7 V6 playing a role, but perhaps more so, a 4V version of the 4.6, or the AJ motor, or perhaps some smaller version of the upcoming Boss engine line. Add a more competent IRS, bigger better brakes and just a lot more attention to suspension and control tuning and balance and you can have a Stang that combines American V8 oomph with Continental balance and agility.
Old 12/10/07, 07:43 AM

Dated Aug 2006
Focus Group/Study
(sorry I can't say/remember who posted this, but I did compile it from a bunch of posts) and I'm going to just sumarize the points on what was shown/said.

- No info on drivetrain

This would seem to comport with what can be made out under the camo of those spy shots. The rear end, both in this description and the spy shots do give me the greatest concern as the current stylistic fixation with J.Lo. butts seems not to have abated.
Old 12/10/07, 09:38 AM
I Have No Life

I don't mind a big rear if it looks good

If they sculpt it right, it can look muscular rather than a bulbous mass of crisco
Old 12/10/07, 09:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
bah leave the V6s for the Euros, American Muscle needs a V8!!!!
Oi, no! I want a V8 and as big a displacement as possible

My Mustang is a weekend toy, so fuel economy is not such a big problem.

I have to say, I too share the concern surrounding the rear end of the '10 now. The rest sounds like it should be good.
Old 12/10/07, 10:00 AM
I Have No Life

As long as the 4s and 6s get great economy and the v8s good....
CAFE totals will even out.

Its more people hating what the price is at the pumps.
Old 12/10/07, 10:06 AM
GTR Member

We're currently paying about £1.04 a litre. That's probably about $9+ a gallon.

That's why my Mustang's a weekend toy!
Old 12/10/07, 10:10 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
everyone needs to stop stressing aobut the huge rear, you can see there it has a ton of padding into to hide the shape. its not any bigger then the current stang.
Old 12/10/07, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I would have to disagree at least on certain models, their most popular vehical (Impreza WRX, STI) has gone through more refreshes than the Mustang in the same time span.... the previous gen Impreza (2002-2007) had three restlyes that make each look as unique as say the 98 to 99 Mustang. I think the 1st and 2nd body style retained some sheet metal but are still very different looking. This, in my opinion has led to much of the cars appeal with body styles coming so fast it always looks fresh. You guys can be the judge here are 5! different styles in this decade alone here are exaples on an 00, 02, 04, 07, 08
For the most part the 02-07 Impreza kept all the same sheet metal. There were minor tweeks to the sheet metal to allow changes to the front and rear bumpers/lights. The Impreza is not the most popular model by over twice the sales. 2006 totals 84442 Legacy, 51262 Forester, 41148 Impreza. Only the Tribeca and Baja trailed. The impreza design did not change to keep it fresh, although it appears that that was a pleasant byproduct. It changed in 04 because the 02 did not meet expectations, in 06 it changed to accomodate Subaru's (now failed) corporate grill, another failure, leading up to the all new 08; which is a big improvement.

However, I was basing my comments on your Legacy, which is built in Indiana. Changes to their most popular model are almost nill.

Quick Reply: New Spy Shots