Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/14, 07:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Ok ok...sorry for the delay. Videos are up! But before that, I just wanted to say a big thank you to JDM, particularly Jim Jr and Nick, and also to Jim Sr who wrote the tune.

JDM, just like Hypermotive, is another example why they will get REPEAT business from me. From the get go, they were very responsive and accommodating, right when I just called them to simply ask about what options I had to upgrade my current magnuson kit. They were very friendly, patient, and ultra quick to get back to me. The WHOLE time, they remained this way...not just until they got me to BUY their stuff. Sadly, that is not the case for other BIG name companies that frequent this site. Those of you who know me know EXACTLY what I mean and what companies I am talking about. They will never get my business. And reputation, good or bad, spreads like wildfire, especially through mouths like mine. If you do good, people will hear. If you do bad, well, people will still hear.

So with that, kudos again to JDM. Big props.

What happened since yesterday:

1st tune:
They accidentally included the Intake Air Temp Sensor 2 (IAT2) in the tune. And it threw a CEL, POO098, which was IAT2 Circuit High. We thought it was a disconnected MAF/sensor, so I checked that, then cleared the DTC. Went for a drive…logged idle, cruise, sent back to JDM for testing, and all was good.

They gave me the green light for the WOT runs. I did em, but unfortunately, after 3k rpm, it felt like I was on 4 cylinders. Uh oh. Sent them the data, and after discussing a bit, they found the IAT2 issue I mentioned above, and sent me a conservative tune taking that out.

2nd tune:
Received it late yesterday, loaded it, and ran the same tests… felt MUCH better but I was not allowed to go over 5k rpm. So I could tell there was more power now… so I sent the logs back, and they wanted me to do WOT now. So I did that this morning. Felt MORE alive, but I could tell it was still limited… I was starting to get concerned, I admit.

After sending the data logs back, I confirmed with JDM that they purposely "capped" the tune to make sure I was safe. In retrospect, I was so pleased they did this. They really were thinking ahead and had safety as their utmost importance. All the new data looked good. The IAT2 error initially, was limiting throttle voltage…the computer sensed it, and it was protecting itself.

3rd tune:
This morning they gave me the FINAL tune. This is the one that once they knew it was safe, they are giving me the "real" tune. Same process. Now I go WOT.

HOLY BUCKETS. My car just came alive. The best way to explain it is, when compared to my stock Magnuson tune and setup, this new JDM tune (paired with all the mods) is:

MORE RESPONSIVE.
MORE LINEAR.
MORE POWER (of course)…
but best of all… SMOooooooooooooooooth…. Buttery smooth. I mean, I just go. I didn't realize the stock magnuson was this herky jerky until I tested out JDM's new tune.

I was SO happy. I data logged again, then sent it back and got the thumbs up.

My car drives like a dream now. I just came back from another ride…. I'm all giddy.

The new set up along with the tune, is just FANTASTIC. I know I'm probably only making maybe 550 to 575 whp, now, but I'm ok with that. JDM is conservative, but a smarter conservative. I love that.

So again, here's the pic of the setup, and a few vids I made….

Watch how quickly boost builds… and how smooth it is. I'm at 9.5-10psi now…

2nd Gear WOT…
2nd gear WOT magnuson 5.0 with JDM TUNE - YouTube

3rd Gear WOT…
3rd gear WOT magnuson 5.0 with JDM TUNE - YouTube
awesome was JDM expensive?

Old 7/8/14, 07:48 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
awesome was JDM expensive?
Darren... Jdm is similarly priced to other tuners out there, comparable. I'm very happy...so far

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/8/14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burton, congrats on your "new" SC mustang. It's good to hear that you received a superb tune along with top shelf customer service from JDM.
Old 7/8/14, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Gabe...thank you SO much for recommending them. I almost went with another tuner but didn't like the vibe I got from them.
You're welcome Burton, glad I helped, glad you're happy.
Looking forward to some new dyno numbers
Old 7/9/14, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Burton...Keep adding boost until you lift the heads at full power then you can use that excuse to build the engine from the ground up! Your wife won't mind, will she?
Old 7/9/14, 03:11 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Awesome Burton.
Glad you are enjoying your new mods. I LOVE that new lower grille on your car. Just what she needed. Looks killer!
Old 7/9/14, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Excuse my ignorance since i have not read the entire thread... but when is the new dyno day?
Old 7/9/14, 04:23 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
You're welcome Burton, glad I helped, glad you're happy. Looking forward to some new dyno numbers
Without you, I wouldn't have been swayed to go jdm

Originally Posted by Horspla
Burton...Keep adding boost until you lift the heads at full power then you can use that excuse to build the engine from the ground up! Your wife won't mind, will she?
John...ssssshhhh you're divulging my idea to my wife. Sssssshhhh already

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Awesome Burton. Glad you are enjoying your new mods. I LOVE that new lower grille on your car. Just what she needed. Looks killer!
Thanks tony! I didn't know how good it looked until it was on my car! I love it too. It completes my front end. I don't need the boss splitter. That would be too much.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Excuse my ignorance since i have not read the entire thread... but when is the new dyno day?
You need to read the whole thread then

Dyno day will maybe be this weekend or sometime this summer. According to jdm, I should be somewheres around 575whp. I'm happy with that.
Old 7/9/14, 04:32 PM
I Have No Life

I've been really impressed with the car's drivability yesterday and today. I enjoyed it so much I drove it all day today. I usually park it over lunch back home, but man...I just HAD to drive it.

The biggest improvement IMO, is not even the power. It's the drivability! The power delivery is so smooth. I know I mentioned that in my prior post in the previous page, but dang...I must say it again. Responsive AND smooth. Apparently, that's what JDM is known for, and now I understand why. I didn't realize how jerky my stock Maggie tune/setup was. Though the jerky delivery "felt" like it had more power, it was more uneven, with a hollow spot right at throttle tip-in. I didn't know until my new jdm tune...how cleanly it picks up from onset. Plus, no jerkiness means less shock on the tranny and driveline pieces.

Another shocker? My mileage in town improved!!!! I've never seen above 15 mpg since I was completely stock! Lol. I've been around 13 in town with the Maggie before. (Right heavy foot doesn't help). But now even with a somewhat heavy foot, I still get over 15. I didn't know a good tune could also net me better mileage.

P.s. I'm closing in on 10k miles. Ugh. I'm driving her too much!!!
Attached Thumbnails My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...-image-110948583.jpg  
Old 7/9/14, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Lol ..... remember when you asked me about the jerkiness and I said to wait to install the new JDM tune?

"I told you so" .... lol
Old 7/9/14, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Nice mods! The way I see it, I consider anything that allows me to steer, brake, or accelerate more effectively out of a bad situation counts as a safety item. At least that's what I tell my wife. If only the insurance company would buy that....
Old 7/9/14, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I've been really impressed with the car's drivability yesterday and today. I enjoyed it so much I drove it all day today. I usually park it over lunch back home, but man...I just HAD to drive it. The biggest improvement IMO, is not even the power. It's the drivability! The power delivery is so smooth. I know I mentioned that in my prior post in the previous page, but dang...I must say it again. Responsive AND smooth. Apparently, that's what JDM is known for, and now I understand why. I didn't realize how jerky my stock Maggie tune/setup was. Though the jerky delivery "felt" like it had more power, it was more uneven, with a hollow spot right at throttle tip-in. I didn't know until my new jdm tune...how cleanly it picks up from onset. Plus, no jerkiness means less shock on the tranny and driveline pieces. Another shocker? My mileage in town improved!!!! I've never seen above 15 mpg since I was completely stock! Lol. I've been around 13 in town with the Maggie before. (Right heavy foot doesn't help). But now even with a somewhat heavy foot, I still get over 15. I didn't know a good tune could also net me better mileage. P.s. I'm closing in on 10k miles. Ugh. I'm driving her too much!!!
Hey I have my gauges purple too! Haha Janny liked it so I was like okay lol
Old 7/9/14, 10:36 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
Lol ..... remember when you asked me about the jerkiness and I said to wait to install the new JDM tune? "I told you so" .... lol
Actually I DO remember that! You were correct If JDM could do that with their tune, I wonder if other tuning companies have similar tunes? Or as good a tune I mean.

Originally Posted by Cavero
Nice mods! The way I see it, I consider anything that allows me to steer, brake, or accelerate more effectively out of a bad situation counts as a safety item. At least that's what I tell my wife. If only the insurance company would buy that....
Thank you sir!!!

Originally Posted by laserred38
Hey I have my gauges purple too! Haha Janny liked it so I was like okay lol
Purple and blue ftw!!

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/11/14 at 06:20 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 10:38 PM
I Have No Life

I forgot to post this...yesterday they sent me a pic of my new fogs to show me their progress. It will go on their site..my actual physical fogs
Attached Thumbnails My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...-image-2248140471.jpg  
Old 7/9/14, 11:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I forgot to post this...yesterday they sent me a pic of my new fogs to show me their progress. It will go on their site..my actual physical fogs
well now those look uber cool
Old 7/10/14, 05:27 AM
I Have No Life

well now those look uber cool
Thanks Darren... I went with these because they are NOT ccfl's.... So no weak fluorescent lighting. Also, they are NOT led smd's, which you can see the break in lighting up close (individual led squares). These are led cob's, which are solid bright led lights, all the way around, with no break, and visible during the day.
Old 7/10/14, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
P.s. I'm closing in on 10k miles. Ugh. I'm driving her too much!!!
Well, you didn't buy a $40,000 car and put another $12-15,000 into it just to stare at it in the garage, did you? You'll never get all that investment back in real dollars so you may as well get it back in giggles, smiles and fun driving the dang thing. Cars are made for driving, not sitting.

Same reason I got up early on the 4th of July and decided Lucy was going to be driven the 500 miles to/from Nebraska for the weekend. That, and I felt like driving Dory (the Mazda) on the 4th was just un-American.
Old 7/10/14, 10:21 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thanks Darren... I went with these because they are NOT ccfl's.... So no weak fluorescent lighting. Also, they are NOT led smd's, which you can see the break in lighting up close (individual led squares). These are led cob's, which are solid bright led lights, all the way around, with no break, and visible during the day.
VERY nice. I had recon halo lamps on my f150 for a while but those had breaks in them, and up close they sucked.

I really like your idea.
Old 7/10/14, 12:58 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Well, you didn't buy a $40,000 car and put another $12-15,000 into it just to stare at it in the garage, did you? You'll never get all that investment back in real dollars so you may as well get it back in giggles, smiles and fun driving the dang thing. Cars are made for driving, not sitting.

Same reason I got up early on the 4th of July and decided Lucy was going to be driven the 500 miles to/from Nebraska for the weekend. That, and I felt like driving Dory (the Mazda) on the 4th was just un-American.
Kyle... you know by now that I get my "fix" (i.e. "high"...or "kick out of") 3 things to do with my car/cars. Detailing them. Wrenching them. And of course, driving them. If I can do any of those 3 or all 3, I'm a really happy camper. Even if I "sold" my car today (never will happen, mind you), I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed her for the last 3 years.

VERY nice. I had recon halo lamps on my f150 for a while but those had breaks in them, and up close they sucked.

I really like your idea.
I am too... they keep teasing me with pics... esp on Instagram. That "customer" they're talking about who's "happy as heck" was MEEEEE!!!
Old 7/10/14, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Kyle... you know by now that I get my "fix" (i.e. "high"...or "kick out of") 3 things to do with my car/cars. Detailing them. Wrenching them. And of course, driving them. If I can do any of those 3 or all 3, I'm a really happy camper. Even if I "sold" my car today (never will happen, mind you), I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed her for the last 3 years.

I am too... they keep teasing me with pics... esp on Instagram. That "customer" they're talking about who's "happy as heck" was MEEEEE!!!
Oh I know and I'm with you on two of the three! All I meant was, screw worrying about the mileage!

Quick Reply: My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...