2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The MT-82 in my brand new 2013

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/12, 12:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Exactly. That's why I have to laugh every time I hear somebody talk about how "smooth" the shifter feels. It's because it's a rubbery mess with virtually no feedback. So those who haven't had a lot of experience driving manuals think that the "softness" is a sign of quality.
lol - that explanation sounds great for people with meat hooks for hands than only know jammin' the old 60's Hurst.

There are plenty of shifters out there that are smooth, effective, and NOT the bang and clunk truck shifter. Just have to learn the feel of the gates and detents.
Old 8/31/12, 12:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny88
I've wondered the same thing, so if someone can clear this up it would be great. It seems like a lot of people are saying the problem is from the engine/trans rotating under torque and the shifter being mounted to the chassis not allowing it to move with the engine/trans.

If this is the problem, has anyone thought about upgrading the transmission mounts so it won't rotate as much?
This is the best I've seen. Looks like they're updating it for the MT-82:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
Old 8/31/12, 12:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly. That's why I have to laugh every time I hear somebody talk about how "smooth" the shifter feels. It's because it's a rubbery mess with virtually no feedback. So those who haven't had a lot of experience driving manuals think that the "softness" is a sign of quality.
I don't know who considers this transmission "smooth". I have the stock shifter and it is very notchy compared to my wrx stock for stock. It might even be more notchy than my wrx trans when I had a short throw shifter. I'm not saying that I don't like the notchiness, because I prefer to feel what I'm doing. I'm just saying it's not very smooth even in the stock form.

That being said, I have definitely felt some "vagueness" when shifting a few times, so the stock shifter can most definitely be improved upon, and I'll be upgrading mine when I get the money to do so.

If you want to feel a smooth transmission go drive a s2000. That is one of the best transmissions I have felt.
Old 8/31/12, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jonny88
I don't know who considers this transmission "smooth". I have the stock shifter and it is very notchy compared to my wrx stock for stock. It might even be more notchy than my wrx trans when I had a short throw shifter. I'm not saying that I don't like the notchiness, because I prefer to feel what I'm doing. I'm just saying it's not very smooth even in the stock form.

That being said, I have definitely felt some "vagueness" when shifting a few times, so the stock shifter can most definitely be improved upon, and I'll be upgrading mine when I get the money to do so.

If you want to feel a smooth transmission go drive a s2000. That is one of the best transmissions I have felt.
Stop Jonny88! Younger making me call the 1996 Honda prelude days. That was a good trans too; even though it did not have the comparable power of the muscle cars of that era or today's, that was a fun car. I drove it at 120 MPH for hours during numerous occasions while traveling from Germany to Italy. Shifting was not a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang. Bottom line is whether we have been driving manuals for 20 or 4 years, shifting is way too unforgiving and unpredictable for operator pleasure - on the road or on the track.

ford has got to fix this. I suggest that ford contract MGW to assist in producing a final solution. This is what I will be getting.
Old 8/31/12, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Shifter

Has anyone used the Hurst. I was thinking of swaping mine out with the hurst..
Old 9/1/12, 05:15 AM
Cobra Member

Hurst has a great pedigree and cool shift handles, but I feel MGW makes the best shifter for the MT-82 in our current Mustang. Did a lot of research and pulled the trigger, couldn't be happier. Built from the best materials and superior design, it doesn't disappoint. I've seen guys install pistol grip Mopar style shift handles on MGW, as well as the old school hurst T handle on their MGWs, as you can pick different shafts to replace the OEM ball should you prefer.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...dle-setup.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...rst-stick.html

You can even install it yourself if you get yourself a strap wrench if you have the stock shift ball and not the standard GT ****.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...r-heat-shield/
Old 9/1/12, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Hurst has a great pedigree and cool shift handles, but I feel MGW makes the best shifter for the MT-82 in our current Mustang. Did a lot of research and pulled the trigger, couldn't be happier. Built from the best materials and superior design, it doesn't disappoint. I've seen guys install pistol grip Mopar style shift handles on MGW, as well as the old school hurst T handle on their MGWs, as you can pick different shafts to replace the OEM ball should you prefer.

You can even install it yourself if you get yourself a strap wrench if you have the stock shift ball and not the standard GT ****.

I like the pistol grip idea. I would like to see pictures of that if you got them...will do some Internet searching?
Old 9/1/12, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace

I just got my GT/MT82 2 days ago and was thinking about a new shifter. I have seen Barton discussed alot on another forum and the install video looks good. Did you consider the Barton when you picked the MGW? I don't know much about the MGW shifter. Thanks.

Joe C
Old 9/1/12, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

I considered the Barton and Steeda Triax. But after getting opinions from other forum guys that actually owned the other brands, I decided to spend the extra cash on the best you can get. Do the other brands offer improvement over the stock shifter? Sure. Do the other brands feel 'as good' as the MGW? Not according to the other guys who have owned and installed them in their Mustangs.

Does this make me an expert? Hell no. Just another passionate Mustang guy. But with the purchase of my '13 Boss, I wanted nothing but the best for it, as I'm gonna have it for a long long time. This MGW will be rock solid and just getting better with age. Folks that pulled out the OEM unit after a few thousand miles are already reporting wear on the *plastic* reverse lock out assembly;

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...7665/#msg47665

Don't just take my word for it, there are hundreds of happy MGW owners out there who swear by them. Either installed yourself, or installed in a shop (If you live near enough to their location in Georgia, the owner of the company will install it FOR FREE, can you beat that? Guy over on the BMO forum just had his installed by George, but forgot to get pix, grrr) it's one of the most satisfying mods you can do to enhance your driving pleasure.
Old 9/4/12, 05:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pcanno167
Stop Jonny88! Younger making me call the 1996 Honda prelude days. That was a good trans too; even though it did not have the comparable power of the muscle cars of that era or today's, that was a fun car. I drove it at 120 MPH for hours during numerous occasions while traveling from Germany to Italy. Shifting was not a problem.
Hah, I'm sorry. That S2K trans felt like a hot knife through butter, but I don't know about it holding up to 600+ HP either.

Well I've done a few 1-3 runs and I missed 3rd once last night in my 2013. I think it was more my fault than the transmission will have to replicate the problem to form an opinion on what the issue is though. I am shifting at or right before redline too. Haven't missed 2nd yet *fingers crossed*.
Old 9/5/12, 12:02 AM
GT Member

I don't think I want to even risk the problems with the MT-82 trans. That's why I got my 2011 Vert with the Auto but I prefer the Auto anyways. Hopefully FORD will move to another trans or a better shifter set-up on the "New" Mustang and then maybe I'll go for a manual this time.
Old 9/5/12, 03:27 AM
GT Member

Jonny88, I agree. I will be working to understand my shifting method before purchasing the MGW...but it is the clear choice for what I want. If I had the bucks, I would be providing everyone with customer feedback results already.

All-or-Nothing - I want to say that the transmission doesn't seem to be the problem; it's the dog gone thing that is attached to it. If I can put it In the right gear all the time I would be on my merry way. Still no regrets. Just a nearly $500 set back coming up.

Last edited by pcanno167; 9/5/12 at 03:34 AM.
Old 9/9/12, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a quick update -

Currently have 2,700 miles on the clock and transmission continues to improve in feel every time I drive it. This last tank of gas I put in has been my "fun tank" meaning I've been driving the thing like a bat out of hell trying to see if I can make it act up on me - and I still have been unsuccessful. Was doing 25 in 2nd gear, revved up to about 5K RPM and dumped the clutch, squealing the tires all the way to 60mph, then power shifting into 3rd and getting it a little sideways. Have taken off from dead stops going WOT in 1st all the way to redline, spinning them thru 2nd, and some of 3rd. Just beating the crap out of it really. Every gear change is extremely slick in any part of the power band.

After my weekend hooning session I will return back to a more conservative driving style. I have to say tho, I am extremely pleased with this car. Favorite car I have owned to date, no question about it.
Old 9/9/12, 10:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
Just a quick update -

Currently have 2,700 miles on the clock and transmission continues to improve in feel every time I drive it. This last tank of gas I put in has been my "fun tank" meaning I've been driving the thing like a bat out of hell trying to see if I can make it act up on me - and I still have been unsuccessful. Was doing 25 in 2nd gear, revved up to about 5K RPM and dumped the clutch, squealing the tires all the way to 60mph, then power shifting into 3rd and getting it a little sideways. Have taken off from dead stops going WOT in 1st all the way to redline, spinning them thru 2nd, and some of 3rd. Just beating the crap out of it really. Every gear change is extremely slick in any part of the power band.

After my weekend hooning session I will return back to a more conservative driving style. I have to say tho, I am extremely pleased with this car. Favorite car I have owned to date, no question about it.
So that "fun tank" lasted what, about 60 miles?

Old 9/9/12, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
So that "fun tank" lasted what, about 60 miles?

150 from when I filled up on Thursday and the low fuel light is already on. Worst gas mileage I've had to date LOL. I have really romped on it this weekend...poor tires. But I swear the engine feels like it keeps getting stronger. If I recall there are some who have dyno'd the engine new, then again at 10k miles and showed an increase in horsepower. I believe it.
Old 9/9/12, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But I swear the engine feels like it keeps getting stronger. If I recall there are some who have dyno'd the engine new, then again at 10k miles and showed an increase in horsepower. I believe it.
The weather is getting cooler. It's more likely attributable to cooler temperatures which means denser air and higher levels of oxygen.
Old 9/9/12, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

The weather is getting cooler. It's more likely attributable to cooler temperatures which means denser air and higher levels of oxygen.
Good point! Our temps have dropped a good 20 degrees compared to what we have had for the past few weeks. Either way, it sure is running good!
Old 9/10/12, 06:04 AM
V6 Member

My car has the random notchiness into 2nd ('11 with 4K on the clock, LMR shifter bracket installed). However, this weekend we got our first dose of nice weather in NOVA, so I took the car out and flogged it hard. Multiple hard launches, and full runs up to redline.

Notchiness- gone! I had the car hot, maybe hotter than it has been as far as pushing the engine (sould smell my new GT500's burning), and 2nd gear felt like butter.

Should I just change the fluid? Any idea why when it is that hot, it is perfectly fine? Is this the way it feels once the fluid has been changed, even when cold?

BTW, when I left for work this morning.....cool out, of course the notchiness on the 2nd gear shifts were back.

Last edited by jonztang; 9/10/12 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11/24/12, 02:22 AM

Yes exactly that you shouldn't need to push the clutch all the way to floor...when the OP talks about pushing the clutch all the way to the floor, he's actually pointing out one of the weaknesses whether he realizes it or not. It's because the pressure plate isn't strong enough to hold so you need to nail that clutch down to hope that it grabs. And that "softness" in the clutch pedal is probably "soft" because of the weak pressure plate.
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that I am actually stopping/preventing the pressure plate from holding the clutch disc against the flywheel when I depress the clutch pedal not nailing it down to hope it grabs. Clutch engagement should happen when you let up on the clutch pedal. However, maximizing clutch pedal operation might better prevent any torque transfer from flywheel to clutch disc/trans during the shift depending on the individual car.
Old 11/24/12, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

If I recall there are some who have dyno'd the engine new, then again at 10k miles and showed an increase in horsepower. I believe it.
This is a fact.

Quick Reply: The MT-82 in my brand new 2013