Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The MT-82 in my brand new 2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/12, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The MT-82 in my brand new 2013

feels fantastic. I had never driven one until I took delivery last Friday. The test drive I had a couple of months ago was in an automatic so I had no clue what the transmission would feel like. I have read many posts with drivers complaining about getting hung up in the gear box. I've even seen test videos on youtube where the car reviewers have trouble shifting from 2-3. Though I only have 300 miles on it so far, I am convinced this transmission is one of the best I have driven, if not the best manual transmissions I have ever owned.

I've not missed a single shift yet. I can get into each and every gear with no issues at all. Not even a lockout a stoplight. My last car was an ///M with a manual and it took awhile to really learn how to drive it correctly. I thought the transmission sucked after putting a few thousand miles on it only to realize I was not driving it the way it was intended to be driven. Once I learned how to shift it properly, I instantly concluded it was the best transmission - until I got the Mustang.

But seriously, the shifts are extremely precise and lock into gear each and every time. It feels absolutely amazing and cannot even begin to wonder what some of the other people are talking about. One thing I wonder about is how far they are sitting from the pedals. I have my seat pretty **** close, so close that my 200lb father can sit behind me in the back seat and still has leg room. My knees are pretty close to the dash but I want to ensure I am pounding the clutch pedal to the floor each and every time. I tried moving the sat back a couple of clicks but it did not feel right while driving and seemed more difficult to get the clutch pedal to the floor. Is it possible some people do not get the clutch all the way to floor which could definitely affect shifting thru the gears?

To conclude, the car still only has 300 miles but if the transmission feels this great right now, I can only imagine it will get even better as it breaks in some more.

Last edited by GRN 5OH; 7/25/12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 04:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice report.
Old 7/25/12, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you like it, but I'd rather have a Tremec in my Boss.
Old 7/25/12, 04:30 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too had little problems during my first 300 miles. I now have 2400 miles and although my issues are nothing like those reported, I have had a few misses... come back in a month with an update, I'm curious if you have one of the better transmissions out there.
Old 7/25/12, 04:41 PM

Glad to hear! I too think this is the best manual I've ever owned. It is way better than that piece of junk Getrag in my Cobalt. But like others I seem to have a problem with those 2-3 shifts sometimes.
Old 7/25/12, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Glad to hear you like it, but I'd rather have a Tremec in my Boss.
I looked at a window sticker for a Boss and it "said" M82 trans?
Old 7/25/12, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by johnvosh
Glad to hear! I too think this is the best manual I've ever owned. It is way better than that piece of junk Getrag in my Cobalt. But like others I seem to have a problem with those 2-3 shifts sometimes.
You do know that the MT82 is also a Getrag transmission, right?
Old 7/25/12, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You do know that the MT82 is also a Getrag transmission, right?
Sorry didn't know that. All I know is it is way better than the clutch/getrag f23 setup in my cobalt.
Old 7/25/12, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
It feels absolutely amazing and cannot even begin to wonder what some of the other people are talking about.
Really great post except for the above. Like most owners, myself included, we have good transmissions. But saying we can't understand why someone else doesn't love theirs is like saying we can't understand why a double amputee can't throw as good a fast ball as we can.
Old 7/25/12, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine however I did swap in an AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket the day I got it home from dealer. I also disconnected the skip shift day one.

There is no reason to push clutch all way to floor that I'm aware of.

Last edited by dmhines; 7/25/12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For daily driver the transmission and shifter is very good, I agree, but try doing some very high RPM quick shifts and you might feel differently. I installed the MGW and everything is fine.
Old 7/25/12, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
For daily driver the transmission and shifter is very good, I agree, but try doing some very high RPM quick shifts and you might feel differently. I installed the MGW and everything is fine.
This ^...the entire chain in this transmission is mushy and imprecise. For casual non-spirited driving that "mushiness" might feel good to the driver, but it's actually a symptom of the underlying problems.

Like stated above, open that baby up and you just might start to really recognize the weaknesses that exist. But maybe you won't, and you have a really good setup luckily. There have been reports of others having horrible problems and getting newer cars and those problems are gone.

Me? My transmission blows hard. I've learned how to shift it. And no it has nothing to do with these supposedly "narrow gates", but instead I've learned to shift it under high RPM's by recognizing that it's a mushy weak mess and I have to let the chain settle in between each shift by handicapping the shift to guarantee that I won't miss a shift.

Last edited by db2797; 7/25/12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
I haven't had any issues with mine however I did swap in an AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket the day I got it home from dealer. I also disconnected the skip shift day one.

There is no reason to push clutch all way to floor that I'm aware of.
Yes exactly that you shouldn't need to push the clutch all the way to floor...when the OP talks about pushing the clutch all the way to the floor, he's actually pointing out one of the weaknesses whether he realizes it or not. It's because the pressure plate isn't strong enough to hold so you need to nail that clutch down to hope that it grabs. And that "softness" in the clutch pedal is probably "soft" because of the weak pressure plate.
Old 7/25/12, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The weak point is the S197 remote shifter design. No idea why Ford designed all the S197 trannys with the remote shifter setup.
Old 7/25/12, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To the OP: just wait until you try to shift fast. It doesn't like that. Don't get me wrong, I love shifting this car but when I try a full throttle run and can't shift into 3rd it's very frustrating. As soon as I can I'm going to spring for the MGW.
Old 7/25/12, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I can shift fine into 3rd at high rpms.... at first I had some trouble, but once I got use to how it shifts, everything was fine.
Old 7/25/12, 09:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
I can shift fine into 3rd at high rpms.... at first I had some trouble, but once I got use to how it shifts, everything was fine.
I track mine (1/4 mile).. Its gotta be precise and consistent.
Otherwise I lose and my points spread drops, I needed the confidence that every time I went down track that it's going to be where I need it.
Even my brother with his 13GT tried telling me he doesn't have issues and chirps the tires in 3rd.
Well I asked for him to give me ride and show me.
Guess what I noticed, he shifted at 5500 and it barked em fine. I told him ok, now take it up to 6500-7000. You can guess it alright, everytime his missed 3rd.
He never realized he wasent reviving it up. He was used to his 07 GT. These new 5.0s like to rev and if you pay more attention there's a good chance your not reviving it as high as you thought and when you do, shift it as fast as you possibly can.
Old 7/25/12, 09:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Now what I'd like to still say is, FORD didn't screw anyone or did a inadequate job.
I say this because the shifter for 80 percent of the buyers it will do what is suppose to do.
The stock shifter shifts and feels pretty good and is quiet.
The MGW shifter is more industrialized.
It's tough, Accurate, and noise, it doesn't insulate the noise from drivetrain
Old 7/26/12, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have not had much issues either with the shifter or transmission and I have owned tons of manuals through the years. I even have a Camaro owner state that my shifter feels like it sucks itself into each gear. I have experienced ever so slightly the 3 gear complaint. I believe for me it was my own fault because 3rd and 5th are very close. The issues with the shifter as was stated the MGW seems to fix is when getting on the car (especially the 5.0) the engine will move the transmission slightly that makes the linkage shift a bit causing 3rd to be difficult. During standard driving however I find the shifting smooth as silk.. My M6 GTHIG only has 700 Miles on it.
Old 7/26/12, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had my mustang for 2 months now and it's the first manual car I've owned. Are you saying I don't have to push the clutch all the way down every time I shift? Lol...........That's the way I've been driving this whole time.

Last edited by Dfink114; 7/26/12 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: The MT-82 in my brand new 2013