Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The MT-82 in my brand new 2013

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/12, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
For those wondering why there's issues in shifting check out the MT82 (top) all the linkages and crap.... so now I definitely see how changing the cheap rubbery bracket would help with all the twisting from high revving... now I can't wait to install a new bracket asap!!
Exactly. That's why I have to laugh every time I hear somebody talk about how "smooth" the shifter feels. It's because it's a rubbery mess with virtually no feedback. So those who haven't had a lot of experience driving manuals think that the "softness" is a sign of quality. It would be like cutting up a piece of mattress the size of your shoe and gluing it to the bottom. Oh how great and soft these new "mattress" shoes feel when I walk around so softly. Well try running a sprint in your mattress pad shoes and you might just realize that ***** footing ain't such a great thing when you need to feel that feedback from the track to run at the highest level.
Old 8/27/12, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797

Exactly. That's why I have to laugh every time I hear somebody talk about how "smooth" the shifter feels. It's because it's a rubbery mess with virtually no feedback. So those who haven't had a lot of experience driving manuals think that the "softness" is a sign of quality. It would be like cutting up a piece of mattress the size of your shoe and gluing it to the bottom. Oh how great and soft these new "mattress" shoes feel when I walk around so softly. Well try running a sprint in your mattress pad shoes and you might just realize that ***** footing ain't such a great thing when you need to feel that feedback from the track to run at the highest level.
I used to think the stock shifter felt nice, but over time its starting to get sloppy and rubbery and now I'm starting to feel the shifts get a little crunchier now especially when I punch it a bit... I'm at 7,300 miles, but I also got to try out the feel of the Barton and MGW and now the factory mushiness has to go!! I didnt know what I was missing... I ordered the Barton with the two post bracket but its on back order :-/
Old 8/27/12, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to think the stock shifter felt nice, but over time its starting to get sloppy and rubbery and now I'm starting to feel the shifts get a little crunchier now especially when I punch it a bit... I'm at 7,300 miles, but I also got to try out the feel of the Barton and MGW and now the factory mushiness has to go!! I didnt know what I was missing... I ordered the Barton with the two post bracket but its on back order :-/
I could never go back either now that I have one of these shifters. Being able to feel those gears is truly awesome and it feels so precise now. The only bad thing though is now when a gear grinds from high RPM lockout, holy heck it feels like my arm is going to break off from the vibration lol. Someday soon I'll also replace the clutch and flywheel too so that the stupid high RPM lockout problem can be alleviated.
Old 8/28/12, 04:56 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I could never go back either now that I have one of these shifters. Being able to feel those gears is truly awesome and it feels so precise now. The only bad thing though is now when a gear grinds from high RPM lockout, holy heck it feels like my arm is going to break off from the vibration lol. Someday soon I'll also replace the clutch and flywheel too so that the stupid high RPM lockout problem can be alleviated.
Amen. Like I said earlier... Folks who "think" the stock shifter is good have NO idea what they're missing.
Old 8/28/12, 10:28 AM
GT Member

So what's involved with installing a replacement shifter? Is it easy to do for basically mechanically inclined folks, or something that should be considered having professionally installed?
Old 8/28/12, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
So what's involved with installing a replacement shifter? Is it easy to do for basically mechanically inclined folks, or something that should be considered having professionally installed?
It's pretty straight forward, and there are some really good instructional videos for the MGW... You shouldn't have a problem, just take your time and enjoy it once you're done!
Old 8/28/12, 11:39 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoesCat
Took me three hours, a buddy, and some beer afterwards. Oh also took done swearing on my part.lol
Old 8/29/12, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Op it is possible that you jynx'd yourself by this thread. Many people will post how great their transmission is in the first XXX miles, then sometimes after that it all goes downhill. Not sure what it depends on but i wish you the best of luck and i wish for your transmission to keep functioning as you describe.
Old 8/29/12, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think this transmission alone is the reason why I'm going to buy the extended warranty.
Old 8/29/12, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Op it is possible that you jynx'd yourself by this thread. Many people will post how great their transmission is in the first XXX miles, then sometimes after that it all goes downhill. Not sure what it depends on but i wish you the best of luck and i wish for your transmission to keep functioning as you describe.
Went WOT from 1st gear all the way to 6th gear this morning on a deserted road in Mexico - not a single issue with my tranny. It only continues to get better. Loooooooooooooooove it. It also helps to know how to shift it correctly. I'm under the impression some of those who say they have been shifting manuals for 20+ years still don't quite get it. That or they just have a POS transmission.
Old 8/30/12, 05:58 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
I didn't even wait for my tranny to go down hill... lol. My shifter was already replaced at about 100 miles.

But hey, if the OP thinks his stock shifter is rosy, good for him. But as we all know, there's always something "better". But if he's satisfied with his stock tranny, we should let him be.
Old 8/30/12, 09:06 AM
GT Member

I have the Barton shifter and 2-post bracket and it made my shifting 90% better. It won't completely solve shifting issues though. I still randomly get the lock out at high RPM's. It happened to me at the track this weekend. I try to shift into second and griiiinnndd....gears not there. Ok....wait a few...try again...still grriiinnnddd...no gear yet...ok continue waiting letting the RPM's come down and the synchros settle....try a third time.....grrriiiin....oh wait...slip. There we go. Finally into gear.
Db2797 your analogy has perfectly described my experience while shifting the MT82. I am glad I was not on the track when this occurred - I could not imagine the level of disappointment, embarrassment and expenses incurred from a useless track run.
Old 8/30/12, 09:14 AM
GT Member

For those wondering why there's issues in shifting check out the MT82 (top) all the linkages and crap.... so now I definitely see how changing the cheap rubbery bracket would help with all the twisting from high revving... now I can't wait to install a new bracket asap!!
Now I know the difference between a remote shifter and a solid shift! Ford probably saved 30lbs and and a lot of die cast by going with the remote shifter... I wish I could afford to Change the whole tranny out and sacrifice the warranty.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 8/31/12, 06:43 AM

Can someone explain the aftermarket shifter design to me?

I've watched a couple videos, and I can't understand how the rigid rods at the back of the shifter can allow the required rotational movement of the transmission.
I get that in the stock arrangement, the engine and transmission are rotating, and that means the shifter is trying to hit a moving target, so to speak.

But by rigidly fixing the shifter to the tunnel such that it cannot pivot left or right (that is, rotate about the vertical axis)... What allows the transmission movement without causing binding?

I most be missing something in the aftermarket design that allows motion, because it almost looks like the shifter is taking the rotational load of the trans.

Please straighten me out.
Old 8/31/12, 07:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by u00mem9
Can someone explain the aftermarket shifter design to me?

I've watched a couple videos, and I can't understand how the rigid rods at the back of the shifter can allow the required rotational movement of the transmission.
I get that in the stock arrangement, the engine and transmission are rotating, and that means the shifter is trying to hit a moving target, so to speak.

But by rigidly fixing the shifter to the tunnel such that it cannot pivot left or right (that is, rotate about the vertical axis)... What allows the transmission movement without causing binding?

I most be missing something in the aftermarket design that allows motion, because it almost looks like the shifter is taking the rotational load of the trans.

Please straighten me out.

I've wondered the same thing, so if someone can clear this up it would be great. It seems like a lot of people are saying the problem is from the engine/trans rotating under torque and the shifter being mounted to the chassis not allowing it to move with the engine/trans.

If this is the problem, has anyone thought about upgrading the transmission mounts so it won't rotate as much?
Old 8/31/12, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I was having fun last night and scratched the tires numerous times on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Hit the rev limiter a few times as well. Starting to feel bad for those who do have a junk MT82.
Old 8/31/12, 08:12 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
I was having fun last night and scratched the tires numerous times on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Hit the rev limiter a few times as well. Starting to feel bad for those who do have a junk MT82.
Lol....
Old 8/31/12, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
lol, your kidding only yourself.
Old 8/31/12, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny88
I've wondered the same thing, so if someone can clear this up it would be great. It seems like a lot of people are saying the problem is from the engine/trans rotating under torque and the shifter being mounted to the chassis not allowing it to move with the engine/trans.

If this is the problem, has anyone thought about upgrading the transmission mounts so it won't rotate as much?
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.hecticparts.com/pages/MOT...DJUSTABLE.html

I haven't seen an aftermarket trans mount, but JHR does have these motor mounts that would probably help (though who knows how much extra NVH you end up with). There's also a shot of the trans mount showing that it's a run of the mill rubber mount which surely allows that rotation to occur.
Old 8/31/12, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13
lol, your kidding only yourself.
Riiiiight...

Quick Reply: The MT-82 in my brand new 2013