Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The MT-82 in my brand new 2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/12, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watch this video...it's pretty good at explaining a clutch:

There's always some "play" in the clutch where the pressure plate engages. If the pressure plate is weak, then the clutch has a hard time disengaging properly which means you need to push on the clutch harder and harder. That's why I have to laugh when people try to blame all the lockout problems on small gates. A weak pressure plate doesn't move away from the flywheel far enough, thus you get slippage and gear lockouts. And just imagine all that pressure at higher RPM's and HP. Kind of hard to "miss" a gear when the gear is completely not even there.

Like Unrealford states, this MT82 setup is not really designed for high performance usage unfortunately. I think if Ford just came out and admitted that I'd be less mad about this problem. But this whole blaming drivers for these problems is insulting. But to be fair, it also might be from lack of communication. I don't believe for one second the engineers don't know about these problems, but since they probably feel as though the specs have been met for the purpose of the car, they probably tow the company line and don't exactly feed the correct information up the chain. They are probably the ones that this "blame the driver" comes from. I know from my job in software engineering we see people do things all the time that either we never expected or don't feel we should support, so I understand that mentality. Most people have no clue about the underlying engineering components so it isn't necessarily lies fed up the chain, but the 100% truth is usually not with some bending of the truth of the situation.

So maybe I really shouldn't blame Ford as it does seem the MT82 is adequate for what it is. But like I said, I just wish they were a bit more honest about the problems.
Old 7/26/12, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikey
You do know that the MT82 is also a Getrag transmission, right?
Sounds German, but isn't it made in China?
Old 7/26/12, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy49
Sounds German, but isn't it made in China?
It is German, but Ford is in a joint venture with Getrag Asia Pacific which has a manufacturing facility in China... I have a '13, and have experienced the same problems that have been described by other posters. Occasionally I get locked out of 3rd gear when taking the engine to or near redline, but this is my only complaint. I replaced the weak stock shifter immediately with an MGW, and I think the real weak link in the drivetrain of these cars is the clutch... which will probably get replaced when and if I decide to supercharge it.

I don't discredit anyone's problems with their transmission, because I've seen the less extreme end of the spectrum in my own... It's just unfortunate, but nothing's perfect. If it's not one thing, it's another...
Old 7/26/12, 12:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Watch this video...it's pretty good at explaining a clutch:

Learn How A Clutch Works In Less Than 5 Minutes - YouTube

There's always some "play" in the clutch where the pressure plate engages. If the pressure plate is weak, then the clutch has a hard time disengaging properly which means you need to push on the clutch harder and harder. That's why I have to laugh when people try to blame all the lockout problems on small gates. A weak pressure plate doesn't move away from the flywheel far enough, thus you get slippage and gear lockouts. And just imagine all that pressure at higher RPM's and HP. Kind of hard to "miss" a gear when the gear is completely not even there.

Like Unrealford states, this MT82 setup is not really designed for high performance usage unfortunately. I think if Ford just came out and admitted that I'd be less mad about this problem. But this whole blaming drivers for these problems is insulting. But to be fair, it also might be from lack of communication. I don't believe for one second the engineers don't know about these problems, but since they probably feel as though the specs have been met for the purpose of the car, they probably tow the company line and don't exactly feed the correct information up the chain. They are probably the ones that this "blame the driver" comes from. I know from my job in software engineering we see people do things all the time that either we never expected or don't feel we should support, so I understand that mentality. Most people have no clue about the underlying engineering components so it isn't necessarily lies fed up the chain, but the 100% truth is usually not with some bending of the truth of the situation.

So maybe I really shouldn't blame Ford as it does seem the MT82 is adequate for what it is. But like I said, I just wish they were a bit more honest about the problems.
I never really knew how a clutch worked, nice!
Old 7/26/12, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the general consensus is the stock shifter works fine for daily driving and occasional spirited driving, however, for track rats it simply will not do. Fair enough. Time will tell as I rack up some more miles but as it stands, I am more than happy with the way it performs. I was really expecting it to be worse due to all of the complaints. Now regarding how much revs, I will admit I have not taken it up to redline so that may be why I have not experienced any misshifts. I've gotten close, maybe 5.5k-6k rpms at WOT in 2nd and 3rd. Freakin thing started to get sideways on me in 2nd.

With that being said, I want to make it known I am not trying to talk it up simply because it is new and I am excited. I truly feel it is a great shifting transmission. If you know the secret handshake with this one, it'll slide into every gear like a hot knife in butter.

Ok, I got myself all excited. Time to go drive.

Old 7/27/12, 07:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
feels fantastic. I had never driven one until I took delivery last Friday. The test drive I had a couple of months ago was in an automatic so I had no clue what the transmission would feel like. I have read many posts with drivers complaining about getting hung up in the gear box. I've even seen test videos on youtube where the car reviewers have trouble shifting from 2-3. Though I only have 300 miles on it so far, I am convinced this transmission is one of the best I have driven, if not the best manual transmissions I have ever owned.
Nice write-up, GRN 5OH!

Originally Posted by Xar
I too had little problems during my first 300 miles. I now have 2400 miles and although my issues are nothing like those reported, I have had a few misses... come back in a month with an update, I'm curious if you have one of the better transmissions out there.
Hello Xar,

I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager and help get it resolved.

Deysha
Old 7/27/12, 12:25 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Deysha -

I will make an appointment and send you a PM.
Old 7/27/12, 03:08 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Xar
Thanks Deysha -

I will make an appointment and send you a PM.
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Deysha
Old 7/27/12, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought the mt82 was a night and day difference over my old tremec 3650 in my mach 1. And with an mgw shifter I think it would be great

Last edited by Supra; 7/27/12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 7/28/12, 02:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
You do know that the MT82 is also a Getrag transmission, right?
A German tranny made in China.
Old 7/28/12, 02:33 AM
Bullitt Member

dont have my 13 yet....but my 2007 also had similar shift issues at high RPMs. Sometimes I just couldnt get it in (yeayea...you know what I mean). Mostly 1st to 2nd and some times 2nd to 3rd. It was rare, but still happened.

Although I did find that making sure the clutch was to the floor helped.
I'd have to concur that probably clutch related.
It just doesn't disengage fast enough and the synrcos wont let you engage the gear.
Similar situation to trying to down shift at higher RPMs.

Guess I'll just have to live with pausing a bit during shifts when pushing it.
I'll found out soon enough, delivery is just around the corner.
Old 7/28/12, 05:30 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
For daily driver the transmission and shifter is very good, I agree, but try doing some very high RPM quick shifts and you might feel differently. I installed the MGW and everything is fine.
Originally Posted by Thomas S
To the OP: just wait until you try to shift fast. It doesn't like that. Don't get me wrong, I love shifting this car but when I try a full throttle run and can't shift into 3rd it's very frustrating. As soon as I can I'm going to spring for the MGW.
This. ^

To the OP. I sound like a broken record. If you *think* the stock tranny is the "best tranny you've ever owned".... I would love to see a video of you shifting an MGW for the first time lol. You might wet your pants in excitement.

MGW ftw.
Old 7/28/12, 07:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved the stock shifter on my 13 GT for about 2 weeks. 3 months later, Im finding it very sloppy at high RPMs, coupled with a sticking clutch pedal. Two more things to replace before I get this biotch on the track, which is starting to look like next year.
Old 7/28/12, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a couple of Harleys sitting next to me at a red light earlier this morning. When it turned green they went WOT so I went for it. The 2-3 shift was easy as pie and I was easily over 6k when I shifted. Stayed right along side em, not a problem. This car is the absolute ****. With 500 miles on the clock now, I can safely say this is without a doubt my most favorite car I have ever owned, let alone driven. I was testing out WOT from 2k-3k rpm and you don't even have to go over 3k to get ahead of the traffic at the stop lights. I can't get over it. It's the perfect engine, great power on both ends of the rev range and all in between. I could go on and on but I think I will go drive it some more instead.
Old 7/28/12, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting. My stocker shifts great in both steady and spirited driving and I only have a year of driving a manual under my belt. Clutch engagement, shifter feel, everything has been better and better the more miles i put on her. That MT82 seems to do the job just fine IMO.
Old 8/13/12, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I have taken the engine up to the redline numerous times in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears, even hit the limiter a couple of times, and I cannot get the gear box to give me any trouble. Guess I got a good specimen. Happier than a pig in ****. I cannot stop driving this car. Barely had it for 3 weeks and I already have 1,400 miles on it. That's about 450 miles a week.
Old 8/13/12, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
This. ^

To the OP. I sound like a broken record. If you *think* the stock tranny is the "best tranny you've ever owned".... I would love to see a video of you shifting an MGW for the first time lol. You might wet your pants in excitement.

MGW ftw.
Maybe your car needs an MGW? Mine doesn't. Shifts just fine thank ya very much.
Old 8/13/12, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

My friend has a MGW.. it squeeks.. plus I don't like the feel of his shifter, maybe because he has a 05.. but I like my stock 6 speed shifter more. Just my opinion.
Old 8/13/12, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

One thing I wonder about is how far they are sitting from the pedals. I have my seat pretty **** close, so close that my 200lb father can sit behind me in the back seat and still has leg room. My knees are pretty close to the dash but I want to ensure I am pounding the clutch pedal to the floor each and every time. I tried moving the seat back a couple of clicks but it did not feel right while driving and seemed more difficult to get the clutch pedal to the floor. Is it possible some people do not get the clutch all the way to floor which could definitely affect shifting thru the gears?
https://themustangsource.com/f800/mt...solved-507402/

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...usEZClutch.htm

Just sayin'. Buy this. That's what I'm sayin'.
Old 8/15/12, 10:16 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe your car needs an MGW? Mine doesn't. Shifts just fine thank ya very much.
Every car needs an MGW lol. But seriously my transmission was fine too.MGW its just an improvement

Quick Reply: The MT-82 in my brand new 2013