Search this Thread

Old 1/9/10, 11:10 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Yeah, there's a reason for that.
Don't get your hopes up on that.
blast, it'll be in the Falcon won't it?

Oh well, I can't wait to see what Whipple has in store for us North American folks
Old 1/9/10, 11:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't wait to hear what the aftermarket companies plan on doing to/with the new 5.0.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 1/9/10 at 11:17 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 11:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
blast, it'll be in the Falcon won't it?

Oh well, I can't wait to see what Whipple has in store for us North American folks
Well if it was for use here, we'd see it testing here in our cars.
Australia has different emissions and requirements, so they'll have their own configuration.
It's not a called a coyote either.
Old 1/9/10, 11:24 PM
MOTM Committee Member

do you know if frpp will offer a power pack right out of the gate for the '11?
Old 1/9/10, 11:48 PM
I Have No Life

Sorry I don't know about time or what they plan on doing.
But I wouldn't be surprised like before, and we see something in the first 6-8 months.

That's just a complete shot in the dark.
Old 1/9/10, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Per John Coletti in Iron First, Lead Foot - the difference in the price of a normal Ford rod versus a Manley forged rod was $50 each ($6 vs $56). I think you'll be able to put 6-7lbs through the new 5.0 with a good tune and won't have too much of a problem FWIW.
Old 1/10/10, 07:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
Quotes of note:

Of course, you can put a blower on anything, get a safe tune, and last a long time just like a 4.6. However, these statements from Ford engineers tell the story as to what to expect, which is an engine no stronger than the 4.6 when it comes to boost. One thing that KILLS boosted GT 4.6 engines is too much RPM. An engine not built for boost spinning to Coyote's 7,000 RPM even with just 6 PSI could prove disastrous. Perhaps blower tunes should cut the redline down.
That's incorrect. To know the difference between it and the 4.6, read the following, also from Ford engineers. The improvements noted are compared to the 4.6.
The new 5.0 also has a brand new aluminum cylinder block and heads designed to maximize performance while keeping weight down. Both have been carefully designed using both finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools. The FEA tools have allowed the engineers to design in strength where it's needed while removing material where it's not. The result is a block that's heavily ribbed for rigidity and a deep crank-case that extends down to the bottom of the crankshaft. The 5.0 has four-bolt main bearing caps and the deep crank-case allows the side bolts to fit through the wall into caps that add extra rigidity and support. The configuration happens to be similar to that used on General Motors' LS9 and LSA engines in the ZR1 and CTS-V. Cast-iron cylinder liners, meanwhile, are pressed into the aluminum block to insure a good wearing surface.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/d...-v8/#continued

Then, apart from the quote from the article above that outline the block's strengths, you have the superior volumetric efficiency it has over the 4.6.
Old 1/10/10, 07:26 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Falc'man
That's incorrect. To know the difference between it and the 4.6, read the following, also from Ford engineers. The improvements noted are compared to the 4.6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/d...-v8/#continued

Then, apart from the quote from the article above that outline the block's strengths, you have the superior volumetric efficiency it has over the 4.6.
Falc'man, thanks for the info. While the block and crank may be up the the task of excessive boost, I still think the powder metal connecting rods are the limiting factor. I think it's directly related to the amount of compression run in that engine.
Old 1/10/10, 08:22 AM
GT Member

About the only time you see a rod fail in compression is when water or a foreign object gets in the cylinder. The dynamic loads from changing direction (acceleration) at high RPM is what kills rods.
Old 1/10/10, 08:27 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 200mphcobra
About the only time you see a rod fail in compression is when water or a foreign object gets in the cylinder. The dynamic loads from changing direction (acceleration) at high RPM is what kills rods.
I was referring to the act of adding boost -- additional heat and pressure -- to an engine that already features 11:1 compression.
Old 1/10/10, 09:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J... the engine is not only built WAY better, its managed WAY better.
That's the key. It's not just a 1 piece puzzle.
Exactly, seems all of Fords engines are or soon will be using ecu's that allow them to actively regulate ignition, advance, etc. allowing them to operate right on the cusp of detonation but never allowing the engine to cross that line. That should be a huge boon in keeping folks who want to run boost. And since we know that you can't hear knocking or pinging until the detonation is really bad that is a good thing. What I've been wondering is how the engine will deal with such a scenario if the owner is so 'enthusiastic' that they have created a situation where there is simply no way to avoid detonation? Seems likely that the ecu would just retard timing, etc as much as possible eventually shutting the engine down, but that is just a guess.
Old 1/10/10, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Exactly, seems all of Fords engines are or soon will be using ecu's that allow them to actively regulate ignition, advance, etc. allowing them to operate right on the cusp of detonation but never allowing the engine to cross that line. That should be a huge boon in keeping folks who want to run boost. And since we know that you can't hear knocking or pinging until the detonation is really bad that is a good thing. What I've been wondering is how the engine will deal with such a scenario if the owner is so 'enthusiastic' that they have created a situation where there is simply no way to avoid detonation? Seems likely that the ecu would just retard timing, etc as much as possible eventually shutting the engine down, but that is just a guess.
I agree Ford has really honed in on engine mgmt to offer peak performance yet avoid detonation. But the after market tuners have yet to offer a tune with the same flexible abilities. So when the mods start - and the subsequent tunes - that engineered 'protection' is removed.
Old 1/10/10, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone gonna scan the article or post a link?
Old 1/10/10, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
I was referring to the act of adding boost -- additional heat and pressure -- to an engine that already features 11:1 compression.
I would be more worried about the pistons, detonation will torch or hammer the piston to death 9 times out of 10 before the rod gives up. Ford likes to run the rings pretty high up near the crown too, another area of concern if detonation rears its ugly head. I wouldn't mind paying a few more bucks to Ford for forged slugs, hell, the 5.0 HO's had forged slugs.
Old 1/10/10, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
It's more a play on words, IMO. That's how the powdered metal process works. Much like a forging process, powdered metal, through heat and pressure, is formed in a die with the necessary draft, relief, etc built-in. A true forging, rather than being made from powder, is produced from billet.

The connecting rod is "forged" as one piece. When you "crack" a connecting rod, the bulbous end is split in two, ensuring a tight-tolerance fit when mated with the crank. Therefore, the split pieces are not interchangeable from conrod to conrod.
Just to clarify, the forging process (not to be confused with forged powdered metal) involves hammering a metal object into the basic desired shape and usually requires additional final machining to achieve the finished product (i.e. machined surfaces such as the hole in the small end of a connecting rod). Strength is gained by physically altering the grain structure of the base metal.
Old 1/10/10, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow. Glad he's gone honestly. Might as well just lock/delete this thread. We should know everything, from Ford, sometime this week anyways.
Old 1/10/10, 04:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Sorry I don't know about time or what they plan on doing.
But I wouldn't be surprised like before, and we see something in the first 6-8 months.

That's just a complete shot in the dark.
Thanks boom, I kinda figure that time frame as well. If I ever feel the need for more power I will probably go the frpp route due to the warranty factor
Old 1/10/10, 04:21 PM
I Have No Life

I think a LOT of people would if the warranty was the length of Bumper2Bumper.
I know I wouldn't have much problem getting a Super Pack, if I knew they'd warranty it for 3 years.
Old 1/10/10, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Someone gonna scan the article or post a link?
No link available yet. You can get your own digital subscription though for $11.25/year.

http://www.zinio.com/browse/publicat...m35&pss=1&bd=1
Old 1/10/10, 06:18 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Just to clarify, the forging process (not to be confused with forged powdered metal) involves hammering a metal object into the basic desired shape and usually requires additional final machining to achieve the finished product (i.e. machined surfaces such as the hole in the small end of a connecting rod). Strength is gained by physically altering the grain structure of the base metal.
I guess "pressure" was the wrong word. Thanks for the update!

And you're right, both the crank and pin bore are finish machined.

Last edited by MARZ; 1/10/10 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: March 2010 5.0 Mustang has a 19 page spread on the 5.0