Search this Thread

Old 1/9/10, 11:11 AM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March 2010 5.0 Mustang has a 19 page spread on the 5.0

Quotes of note:

Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Article
Like current Mustang GT rods, Coyote connecting rods are forged from powdered metal. Optimized for reduced weight and redesigned for uniformed bearing loads around the big end, the Coyote rod eliminates the 4.6's balance pad. These rods are plenty strong for stock rpm and power but will not survive forced induction.(pg 70 )

...the Coyote will inevitably be supercharged. The team didn't want to have to re-engineer the block later, so it was designed with forced induction loads in mind. (pg 76)

The Coyote team says the forged rod, powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough...Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. (pg 76)
Of course, you can put a blower on anything, get a safe tune, and last a long time just like a 4.6. However, these statements from Ford engineers tell the story as to what to expect, which is an engine no stronger than the 4.6 when it comes to boost. One thing that KILLS boosted GT 4.6 engines is too much RPM. An engine not built for boost spinning to Coyote's 7,000 RPM even with just 6 PSI could prove disastrous. Perhaps blower tunes should cut the redline down.

Last edited by eci; 1/9/10 at 12:12 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 12:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are some major differences between the 4.6 and 5.0 that will make supercharging better and safer.

You won't be able to use large psi, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. (achieve numbers)
It breathes a LOT better than its precedesor.
Old 1/9/10, 12:43 PM
eci
Banned

Rod strength is rod strength. This engine isn't magic. The article has everything there is to know. There are no more SUPEr ScRets about the 5.0 in the base GT. The story is the same. If you want a reliable supercharged package in a base GT, you are pulling the engine and building it. Too many BS rumors were flown from people talking about how this engine is "built" from the factory as if it were an SVT engine. Then the BS about how despite 11:1 compression and powdered metal rods, this engine has magic technology that makes that a non issue for boost. All were lies and misinformation. I'll believe the Ford engineers quoted numerous times in the article over Internet BS!

Is the base GT engine nice and powerful? YES! Is it any more capable of handling boost with the current rotating assembly? NO!

Last edited by eci; 1/9/10 at 12:53 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boomer is really Mike Harrison, Engine Programs Manager. So listen up nay sayers. He knows what he is talking about.
Old 1/9/10, 12:57 PM
eci
Banned

Oh and as far as it making more power per PSI than a 4.6? Duh?

1. 11:1
2. More cubes
3. 4v

No magic there!
Old 1/9/10, 01:53 PM
V6 Member

ECI, do you ever have anything positive to say on these forums? I rarely post but read everyday and for the last few months everything you say has a negative vibe to it. And for someone that has been around since 2006 I would think you would know by now to trust what Boomer says.
Many people are safely driving around in the early 4.6 with a blower on them when ford said they weren't designed with it in mind and they recomend changing out almost all of the internals before adding a S/C.
I'm sure a mild/low boost S/C will do for most people, and achieve well over 500hp for the 5.0. Yes people that want to run high boost will need new rods, but they will also need a new trans and wider tires.

Sometimes I think youre just upset that someone will be able to buy a base GT and a S/C for $5-6000 and make more power than your GT500, which is beautiful by the way (its probably not the case, but your posts sometimes seem that way)
Old 1/9/10, 02:02 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by mrk1984

Sometimes I think youre just upset that someone will be able to buy a base GT and a S/C for $5-6000 and make more power than your GT500, which is beautiful by the way (its probably not the case, but your posts sometimes seem that way)
My bad, I posted facts and quotes from Coyote engineers.

Dude, how long have you been around? A person can buy a 2005 GT, spend $6,000, and make more power than a stock GT500. The HO Whipple is rated at 550HP. Difference is he is on the ragged edge. A GT500 is asleep at 540HP. So, you're wrong about that comment. If you think spending 5-6k on a 2011 GT makes it equal to a GT500, I think you are believing too much of Boomer's hype. Sorry.

I am posting actual information. Not crap like " just wait, it has "stuff" to deal with "stuff " *wink* *giggle*. " Do you not want the ACTUAL information? Instead of giggles and winks, I would like to have an actual technical conversation.

Last edited by eci; 1/9/10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrk1984
ECI, do you ever have anything positive to say on these forums? I rarely post but read everyday and for the last few months everything you say has a negative vibe to it. And for someone that has been around since 2006 I would think you would know by now to trust what Boomer says.
Many people are safely driving around in the early 4.6 with a blower on them when ford said they weren't designed with it in mind and they recomend changing out almost all of the internals before adding a S/C.
I'm sure a mild/low boost S/C will do for most people, and achieve well over 500hp for the 5.0. Yes people that want to run high boost will need new rods, but they will also need a new trans and wider tires.

He's very defensive about his GT500 and tries to make every thread about GT500 vs GT even though no one else cares. I guess he desperately needs to justify all the money he spent and the fact that he bought his car a year too early.
Old 1/9/10, 02:33 PM
eci
Banned

I bought it too early? I bought it in August. I knew exactly what I was buying and about improvements coming in 2011 for the GT500. Perhaps if you'd grow up and stop flaming, and actually contribute, you'd see my posts are about tech and real information. Read the original post in this thread for example. I was quoting real tech. Only people like you bring up the "versus" crap. I am sorry you have an 06 GT that makes crap power with a junk tune and hope to own the top dog Mustang someday. Keep it up at McDonalds, you'll get there someday champ!

Sorry to burst your little insulting bubble, but if the 2011 GT500 is significantly upgraded versus the 2010, I'll buy one. I have that option. You probably don't =)

Last edited by eci; 1/9/10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 02:42 PM
eci
Banned

PS Gimp, I'm putting flamers with no tech on ignore, you're first! Won't see any of your replies! =)
Old 1/9/10, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
Rod strength is rod strength.
I thought the "forged" powdered metal rods were an upgrade for the 5.0.

The 08 4.6L spec sheet simply says:

"Cracked powdered metal w/floating wristpins"

Do the 5.0 rods undergo further heat treating for strength or is it merely marketing symantics?

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/9/10 at 02:58 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 02:57 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Yes, they are better. The powdered metal part is the unfortunate thing. They are in tune with the more powerful, faster revving engine. Not appropriate for reliable use of boost though. A lot of guys with 4.6 GT's with blowers baby their engines. The benefit of a properly selected forged steel H or I beam is you can beat the living crap out of the engine and it will stay intact.

The great thing is the GT now gets a good crankshaft. A 5.0 torn down for boost just needs some good 4340 H beam rods and some good forged pistons. I'd probably select a lower compression ratio while I was it. Maybe drop it down to 9:1.

Last edited by eci; 1/9/10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
eci probably doesn't even own a 2010 Shelby. He probably got that picture for his avatar off the internet.
P.S. I like my 2007 mustang GT. And the 20k I saved on it VS. the GT500 I put towards a house. Yeah kid!!!!!

Last edited by black sunshine; 1/9/10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually think eci hasn't been that bad lately...except for his personal vendetta against Boomer. I even saw a compliment from eci today!
Really, it probably just comes down to the fact we can't "read" emotion and sarcasm and voice inflection.
Or at least I like giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.
Old 1/9/10, 03:05 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by black sunshine
eci probably doesn't even own a 2010 Shelby. He probably got that picture for his avatar off the internet.
O RLY this....

Last edited by Boomer; 1/9/10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 1/9/10, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by eci

I bought it too early? I bought it in August. I knew exactly what I was buying and about improvements coming in 2011 for the GT500. Perhaps if you'd grow up and stop flaming, and actually contribute, you'd see my posts are about tech and real information. Read the original post in this thread for example. I was quoting real tech. Only people like you bring up the "versus" crap. I am sorry you have an 06 GT that makes crap power with a junk tune and hope to own the top dog Mustang someday. Keep it up at McDonalds, you'll get there someday champ!

Sorry to burst your little insulting bubble, but if the 2011 GT500 is significantly upgraded versus the 2010, I'll buy one. I have that option. You probably don't =)
Oops. Spoke too soon.
Old 1/9/10, 03:09 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Oops. Spoke too soon.
Old 1/9/10, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Talking

I guess personal attacks are ok today? Is it me or does that look like a little girl's hand? KIDDING! Sorry

Last edited by Boomer; 1/9/10 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Just being funny, that's all.
Old 1/9/10, 03:11 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Do the 5.0 rods undergo further heat treating for strength or is it merely marketing symantics?
It's more a play on words, IMO. That's how the powdered metal process works. Much like a forging process, powdered metal, through heat and pressure, is formed in a die with the necessary draft, relief, etc built-in. A true forging, rather than being made from powder, is produced from billet.

The connecting rod is "forged" as one piece. When you "crack" a connecting rod, the bulbous end is split in two, ensuring a tight-tolerance fit when mated with the crank. Therefore, the split pieces are not interchangeable from conrod to conrod.
Old 1/9/10, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow that was a fast response!!!!! I must have touched a nerve.

quote=eci;5795043][/quote]

Last edited by Boomer; 1/9/10 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: March 2010 5.0 Mustang has a 19 page spread on the 5.0