Man 400 hp 5.0 can't get here fast enough

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/08, 08:56 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Man 400 hp 5.0 can't get here fast enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqT1rD1RUk&feature=user

Comparo video for the Bullitt and the Challenger.

The Bullitt compared favorably in handling with its all season tires and was only a tenth of a second slower through the slalom compared to the GY F1 shod Challenger.

Power left something to be desired vs. the 6.1 with the Challenger handily beating the Bullitt.

Due to the SLA/IRS suspension, the Challenger got the nod in ride comfort as well. 600 pounds of extra heft comapred to the Bullitt also netted it a roomier interior.

The Challenger's victory did come at a 5,000 dollar premium.

That said...

If Ford delivers on a 400hp GT for a minimum increase in price compared to the current car, they will slam the bang for buck factor right out of the park.

And I can't help but wonder why Ford is unwilling to offer a tire upgrade on the GT. Had it been equipped with a good summer tire (GT500 fronts) I'm sure it would have handily beaten the Challenger in the slalom.
Old 5/11/08, 10:07 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Perhaps the 6.1 Hemi Challenger beat the 2008 Bullitt's 4.6L Bob. But you can rest assure that the Bullitt will beat the upcoming 5.7 R/T version. As the Bullitt will also have a distinct weight advantage over the Challenger R/T
Old 5/11/08, 10:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I really like the Bullitt, but a Challenger R/T vs. Bullitt would've been a more fair comparison. Frankly, I'd like to get a Bullitt now but with no X-plan or rebates applicable, I'm doubting I'll be able to.
Old 5/12/08, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

All of this will be moot points if fuel prices keep rising and if no fuel alternatives begin to show up. High horsepower musclecars are on the endangered species list once again, as they were in the early 70s. I'm gonna hang on to the Stang I have now.
Old 5/12/08, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't believe the SRT8 is auto only... very disappointed in Dodge's decision on that one. Because as soon at the 5.0 comes out, that will be their excuse for losing.
Old 5/12/08, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I can't believe the SRT8 is auto only... very disappointed in Dodge's decision on that one. Because as soon at the 5.0 comes out, that will be their excuse for losing.
Challenger SRT8 will have a 6 speed next MY.
I am impressed with it, even as an auto. Does well for 4150lbs!
Old 5/12/08, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
All of this will be moot points if fuel prices keep rising and if no fuel alternatives begin to show up. High horsepower musclecars are on the endangered species list once again, as they were in the early 70s. I'm gonna hang on to the Stang I have now.

Before this phase of Muscle cars leave us, we will see smaller GDI V8's from both Chrysler & GM.
I expect the Challenger project to be 5 years max. The Camaro could stick around longer. The Mustang will survive.

The V6 motor is acceptable in a Mustang, its not that desirable in the Challenger or Camaro. Chrysler was thinking of only producing a V8 Challengers, which would of been the smart thing to do, but they changed their mind. They will regret that choice.
Old 5/16/08, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Before this phase of Muscle cars leave us, we will see smaller GDI V8's from both Chrysler & GM.
I expect the Challenger project to be 5 years max. The Camaro could stick around longer. The Mustang will survive.

The V6 motor is acceptable in a Mustang, its not that desirable in the Challenger or Camaro. Chrysler was thinking of only producing a V8 Challengers, which would of been the smart thing to do, but they changed their mind. They will regret that choice.
Why would a v6 not be acceptable in a camaro? You might want to look at historical sales numbers there...........