2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

latecomer to the "tick" club

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/13, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a FRPP Oil Filter on, dealer had replaced it with stock one (motorcraft?) at the time of oil change. Do I need to keep using the FRPP brand (for FRPP powerpack) and is there any possibility this might have played a part in the noise?
Old 12/2/13, 09:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra 2997
My Boss302 started ticking immediately after I changed to Amsoil at a little over 1000 miles. Wish I would've left the factory fill in until 7500 miles....

I changed to Amsoil a 6k and got the tick but I still use it at 22k.
Old 12/3/13, 05:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I had a FRPP Oil Filter on, dealer had replaced it with stock one (motorcraft?) at the time of oil change. Do I need to keep using the FRPP brand (for FRPP powerpack) and is there any possibility this might have played a part in the noise?
I doubt the oil filter is causing any issues unless it isn't filtering correctly. If you're worried about the filter switch to a better brand and get the FL-820 equivalent, yes it is the GT500 filter but it fits and it about twice the size.
Old 12/3/13, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got done dealing with the ticking issue on my car. luzstang, my 13 gt was doing exactly the same noise as yours in the video you posted. You could hear it way more in the garage or driving next to a wall, cars etc. It only did it when the car was warmed up and from idle to about 3k rpms.

I bought it as a certified preowned with 2800 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from had just changed the oil at 2800 miles. At 3400 miles I started hearing that tick. One trip to local dealer I got the normal run around about it being a noisy engine and it was a cam phaser etc. I have a pretty good relationship with dealer and kept telling them that noise was not normal. Contacted ford customer service on here and had them help.

Well the called in a regional tech and after over 3 weeks of sitting at the dealer, they replaced the entire motor with a new crate motor. Now noise is gone, the noise you have is for sure not one of the ac belt TSB's. It is an internal engine problem. Ford would only tell me suggestions of what they thought was wrong, they said maybe bearings or piston issues. Supposedly Ford is working on a fix for these issues, for the guys having their motors taken apart, I would fight that. I would definitely not want a new car that the motor had been pulled apart by dealer techs. I didn't mind the whole crate motor from FORD. Good luck with it bud, my deal was a nightmare and has made me decide to keep mine stock and probably look in to other cars soon.

Also I know there are a bunch of TSB's out there for ticking and a lot of people are saying the early oil change is causing the tick. Would love for Ford to come out and tell us what is wrong. I hate seeing people say "live with the noise" or "get louder exhaust". People pay decent money for these cars and I personally don't want it to sound like a 78 el camino with an exhaust leak as I drive around. Obviously if Ford replaced my entire engine over this same noise the OP posted it is not something you want to "live with". I am terrified to change the oil in my new motor lol. I have good friend who bought a 13 gt for his wife and did not do first oil change until 7500 miles.....no ticking for him, yet.

Last edited by 96lasersnake; 12/3/13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12/3/13, 11:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just dropped off my car Today at the dealership to have it checked. The noise on mine is not as severe as others, but it is still present at low rpms. The tick at idle seems fading away so thats good news I guess but wanted to make sure. Hopefully they don't end up replacing the whole motor. That would be just insane.

Is 7500 miles a recommended interval for an oil change in these cars? I did my first oil change at little over 6K and second change at 12K. Maybe I did them too early and thats why...?
Old 12/4/13, 09:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 96lasersnake
Just got done dealing with the ticking issue on my car. luzstang, my 13 gt was doing exactly the same noise as yours in the video you posted. You could hear it way more in the garage or driving next to a wall, cars etc. It only did it when the car was warmed up and from idle to about 3k rpms.

I bought it as a certified preowned with 2800 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from had just changed the oil at 2800 miles. At 3400 miles I started hearing that tick. One trip to local dealer I got the normal run around about it being a noisy engine and it was a cam phaser etc. I have a pretty good relationship with dealer and kept telling them that noise was not normal. Contacted ford customer service on here and had them help.

Well the called in a regional tech and after over 3 weeks of sitting at the dealer, they replaced the entire motor with a new crate motor. Now noise is gone, the noise you have is for sure not one of the ac belt TSB's. It is an internal engine problem. Ford would only tell me suggestions of what they thought was wrong, they said maybe bearings or piston issues. Supposedly Ford is working on a fix for these issues, for the guys having their motors taken apart, I would fight that. I would definitely not want a new car that the motor had been pulled apart by dealer techs. I didn't mind the whole crate motor from FORD. Good luck with it bud, my deal was a nightmare and has made me decide to keep mine stock and probably look in to other cars soon.

Also I know there are a bunch of TSB's out there for ticking and a lot of people are saying the early oil change is causing the tick. Would love for Ford to come out and tell us what is wrong. I hate seeing people say "live with the noise" or "get louder exhaust". People pay decent money for these cars and I personally don't want it to sound like a 78 el camino with an exhaust leak as I drive around. Obviously if Ford replaced my entire engine over this same noise the OP posted it is not something you want to "live with". I am terrified to change the oil in my new motor lol. I have good friend who bought a 13 gt for his wife and did not do first oil change until 7500 miles.....no ticking for him, yet.
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I just dropped off my car Today at the dealership to have it checked. The noise on mine is not as severe as others, but it is still present at low rpms. The tick at idle seems fading away so thats good news I guess but wanted to make sure. Hopefully they don't end up replacing the whole motor. That would be just insane.

Is 7500 miles a recommended interval for an oil change in these cars? I did my first oil change at little over 6K and second change at 12K. Maybe I did them too early and thats why...?
Thank you for the update, guys!

Deysha
Old 12/4/13, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they replaced the entire motor with a new crate motor. Now noise is gone,
For how long ? that looks like the "CEL" saga and until Ford finds what's really wrong with this issue it will be a trial and error process....

For everyone having this issue, make sure to escalate this to Ford directly (via Deysha) so they can open an official investigation..
Old 12/4/13, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

I hate seeing people say "live with the noise" or "get louder exhaust". People pay decent money for these cars and I personally don't want it to sound like a 78 el camino with an exhaust leak as I drive around. Obviously if Ford replaced my entire engine over this same noise the OP posted it is not something you want to "live with". I am terrified to change the oil in my new motor lol. I have good friend who bought a 13 gt for his wife and did not do first oil change until 7500 miles.....no ticking for him, yet.
totally agree!!!
live with it? shouldnt have to...louder exhaust? wont that just mask the prob.
for me it takes so much away from what should be an awesome driving and ownership experience. my tick is gone for now but will the lifters have to be replaced again in another 10/20k mi?. i swear still hear something that sounds wrong in the engine that makes me cringe while im driving...its faint but i'm sure its only gonna get worse or fail...prob after the warranty is over, and i'll always have that thought in the back of my mind. its embarrassing driving a fast hot looking car that sounds like crap when you pull up or away....boy i miss my '07
and thanks for sharing your experience
Old 12/4/13, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah mine has ticked since birth so I'm just living with it, you can only really hear it when your next to a wall or drive-thru. It's hard to say if we all have the same tick since I'm sure the loudness of the tick varies. It's documented that it has been looked into and they said it was "normal" engine noise, so I'll just keep riding. If it pops, it's on ford.
Old 12/4/13, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the update, guys!

Deysha
No, thank you for your help!

Originally Posted by Dineau
For how long ? that looks like the "CEL" saga and until Ford finds what's really wrong with this issue it will be a trial and error process....

For everyone having this issue, make sure to escalate this to Ford directly (via Deysha) so they can open an official investigation..
How long has it not ticked? Just picked it up last week, probably a hundred or so miles on it now. What looks like the CEL saga?

Originally Posted by steven46746
Yeah mine has ticked since birth so I'm just living with it, you can only really hear it when your next to a wall or drive-thru. It's hard to say if we all have the same tick since I'm sure the loudness of the tick varies. It's documented that it has been looked into and they said it was "normal" engine noise, so I'll just keep riding. If it pops, it's on ford.
That sucks! It won't be on ford until your warranty expires. That's why I wish they would come out and tell us something. They have my old motor but are not pulling it apart to find the problem they just replaced the whole motor for. Since I have started researching these ticking problems people have mentioned early oil change as a common factor. Ford has added additives to peoples car to fix, replaced motors, taken valve trains apart, changed ac belts, and told a ton of people "its normal". I am sure some people have had different noises and some are just hearing normal motor sounds "injectors, phasers etc".
Old 12/4/13, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

How long has it not ticked? Just picked it up last week, probably a hundred or so miles on it now. What looks like the CEL saga?
How long before the problem returns, if they don't know what's causing the issue that means the problem can comeback with this new engine ...

CEL saga... Since 2012 Ford have been chasing the intermittent CEL light on 2013 5.0 and finally identify the issue in July, but every time an owner goes to the dealer they have a hard time getting it fixed because the dealers don't recognize the issue and start from scratch with their usual troubleshoot procedure.
Old 12/5/13, 12:42 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Caught this on the 2015 Press Release.

Wonder if its about increasing redline or to fix the tick issue on so many 5.0's.

Mustang GT continues with the latest edition of the throaty 5.0-liter V8, now featuring an upgraded valvetrain and cylinder heads that yield more than 420 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque. A new intake manifold improves low-speed breathing for better fuel economy, idle stability and emissions
Old 12/5/13, 09:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dineau

Thanks for the shout-out, Dineau!

No, thank you for your help!
You're welcome, 96lasersnake!

Deysha
Old 12/5/13, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I don't have this motor so this issue will not apply to me. Why not just stop using synthetic blend motor oil. Has any one asked what ford put into the motor after the break-in period. What kind of oil was in the car at purchase? It sounds like it's the oil change as the most common factor. If your babies don't like to be fed synthetic then don't give it to them. 10w30 10w40 might just work in warmer climates. I had a built motor back in the day and it was a noisy SOB (hydraulic lifter tick) . But boy did she purr when the RPM's were turned up. I had to run 20/50 to keep it happy. Really, I would be afraid of synthetic in the new 5.0 just from reading this thread. I wish y'all the best.

Last edited by GrnT; 12/5/13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12/6/13, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

On another popular mustang forum I caught this thread....

What do you guys think about it ?

=====================
As You Have already Stated......These Coyote's Just Make Noise!....Simple as that.....

I WILL Tell you one thing that I Have Not only Read, but Tried Myself!.... Next Oil Change Go get some Lucas (or other Brand like ZDDP) Zinc Additive! (Not that Lucas Oil Treatment) This Stuff is 16oz of Pure Zinc Phosphate, Which by the way has been just about Completely removed from ALL the New SN Spec. Motor Oils!....
Back in 2005 the average Motor Oil Contained about 2800ppm of Zinc.....Then came the "New Catalytic Converter Fed. guidelines that stated that Cats had to be warrantied by the OEM for 100,000 Miles!....Well how do you get a Cat to last for that long?....Remove MOST of the Zinc from the Motor Oils
Ya see, Zinc (just like Lead in the older Fuel) happens to be a VERY effective Metal Lubricant, back when they removed Lead from Gas, the cars were wiping out their own Valve Seats, Then the OEM's finally said, "Wow, maybe we should start using Hardened Metal in our Valves, and their Seats"..... End of that Problem....If you remember Just about 5 Years ago, Companies Such as Comp. Cams, Lunati etc. were being accused of Using Inferior (Chinese) Steel in their Camshaft Manufacturing!!...Well guess what! It turned out that the reason Engine Builders were having their Cams (Wiped Out) within the First 20 Minutes of Engine Startup was because of the Fact that Unbeknownst to Everybody! The EPA had the Oil Companies Cut the Zinc content by as much as 60%!! Then all of a sudden, we now have Very Special (High Zinc) Break In Oils, And the New "Oils for Classic" (Cars NOT under Warranty, and PRE-OBD II Cars) Oils, such as Royal Purples HPS, Joe Gibbs High Zinc, Hell, Comp Cams even came out with their Own Oil!!

Soooo....After my first Oil Change when I got the Magical "Tick" (Back when I had my '11 GT) I Was told to use the Royal Purple HPS Hi Zinc, and low and behold!...NO TICK!

But being that that stuff can cost almost $20.00 Freakin Bucks PER QUART! I was like there must be a better way than this.......
So upon getting my '13 Track Pack GT, when I went for my first oil change, I went with Castrol Syntec 5W-50 (as the Track Pack Stangs. Take the 5W-50 Oil) Higher Zinc Oil for Classic Cars (Thats what they Print on the Bottle) And even this oil ONLY contains about 1500ppm of Zinc (Still over 1000ppm LESS then what reg oil had just 5 Years ago!) Thats why I Add about 6 Oz of the Lucas Zinc Tb Additive to the 8+ Quarts of Castrol to get a Final Zinc content of about 5000ppm (A bit high, but good in the Extreme Hot or Cold Weather) And I have been told that I have the Quietest 5.0 Coyote that My Ford Dealer Has EVER Heard! .......
But also keep in mind what I said earlier...These Coyote's are inherently Noisy, but with 4 TiVCT Cams (That are constantly Adjusting) and combine that with 32 Valves+32 Finger Followers hitting 32 Lash Rockers, and ALL of this Happening at the Very Top of the Engine.... Well, thats makes for one big Metallic Cacophony!

Another Thing with these Coyote Engines, They Do NOT like to be Overfilled with Oil! Even in the Slightest....Keep the Level In the "Hash Marks" (Below that TOP Line) I have been told this by The Man from Ford, that actually assembles these Motors.... And This IS the Truth! Not Internet Blabage......

Add some Zinc at your next OC and you will see that you will no longer have the now Infamous Coyote Tick (Which by All accounts is NOT harmful, but Aggravating, to say the Least.) ..........
Old 12/6/13, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good find. Nice read.
Old 12/6/13, 10:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't think ford will figure this out for you. It's up to the individual to think outside of the box on this one.