Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Fog Light Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/13, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Fog Light Adjustment?

It seems my LED Fog Lamps irritate oncoming drivers when used with my headlights. I am wondering if they are aimed to high or if oncoming drivers just assume my brights are on because there are 4 headlights on my GT at that time. Are there any Fog Lamp adjustments? Does anyone else experience this?
Old 6/22/13, 08:47 AM

I get that all the time. most of my driving that I do is at night and I would say in a 20 mile trip to work I get flashed atleast 5 times a night and when they flash me (b/c they think I have my brights on) I give em' the real brights and they turn their brights off. Don't know if they adjust though.
Old 6/22/13, 10:39 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its because the grill mounted lights are NOT fog lights. Fog lights are small, mounted low, so as to see under the fog.
You are turning on the driving lights - which is blinding to oncoming traffic.

Driving lights:

Fog lights:

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/22/13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 6/22/13, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Driving Lights? Are you sure.... I can't find any mention of them being called driving lights.

Page 83 of Owners Manual

The fog lamps can be turned on when the lighting control is pulled toward you and in the headlamps, parking lamps or autolamps positions. The fog lamps will not operate when the high beams are active.

Page 257

Replacing Fog Lamp Bulbs (GT)
Your vehicle is equipped with LED fog lamp bulbs. It is designed to last
the life of the vehicle. If replacement is required, it is recommended that
you see your authorized dealer.

Also mentioned on the Window Sticker:
Front Fog Lamps

Also Noted on the Sales Brochure
LED Fog Lamps
Old 6/22/13, 11:44 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you turned those lights on in a fog bank or blowing snowstorm? They'd be worse than high beams. Fog lights are low to cut under the cloud bank.

Regardless of Ford's adopting the 'fog light' tag in the OM that the current crop of Mustang owners keep pushing, they are mounted high and aimed further so as to see waaaay down the road at high speed night driving. Think LeMans.

That's why you're getting flashed by oncoming drivers. And compare the location of fog lights with every other manufacturer. Fog lights are always mounted low and less bright than headlights (and driving lights).

The grill lights have never been fog lights since they were introduced back in the day.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/22/13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 6/22/13, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

They're not truly either one. They strike the road surface too close to the front center of the car to be real driving lights, and are not mounted low enough to be effective fog lights, but they look cool so I tinted mine yellow.
Old 6/22/13, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I was just informed: "Yes, there are height adjustments on your fog lamps. Pull the large plastic radiator cover and you should see an adjustment screw on each lamp housing. Park about 8' from a garage wall or other surface with your fog lights ON. Adjust lamps by turning adjustment screws equally. It shouldn't take many screw adjustment revolutions to drop them to a less glaring level."
Old 6/22/13, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rriddle3
They're not truly either one. They strike the road surface too close to the front center of the car to be real driving lights, and are not mounted low enough to be effective fog lights, but they look cool so I tinted mine yellow.
Me too. Yellow actually does cut through the fog.
Old 6/24/13, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by elkk
I was just informed: "Yes, there are height adjustments on your fog lamps. Pull the large plastic radiator cover and you should see an adjustment screw on each lamp housing. Park about 8' from a garage wall or other surface with your fog lights ON. Adjust lamps by turning adjustment screws equally. It shouldn't take many screw adjustment revolutions to drop them to a less glaring level."
What is the source of the information?
Old 11/21/13, 09:30 AM

I'm getting the high beam warning from passers by with just my regular head lights on. Any body else have this problem? I just bought the car new last night. How difficult is it to adjust them?
Old 11/21/13, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've driven through heavy fog a few times, they are remarkably useless as actual fog lights. But they are nice when you're driving on a really dark road that has no street lighting. A dark road is something I encounter much more often than fog so I like them just as they are. Plus I think the lights in the grille look good, I don't like the GT with the fog light delete grille.
Old 11/21/13, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
I've driven through heavy fog a few times, they are remarkably useless as actual fog lights. But they are nice when you're driving on a really dark road that has no street lighting. A dark road is something I encounter much more often than fog so I like them just as they are. Plus I think the lights in the grille look good, I don't like the GT with the fog light delete grille.
+1 on all 4 accounts.
Old 11/21/13, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
What is the source of the information?
I have made this adjustment on the driving / fog lights of my 2014 GT.
Old 11/22/13, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by elkk
I have made this adjustment on the driving / fog lights of my 2014 GT.
Me too. Nice yellow rectangles on the ground in front of the car now.
Old 11/22/13, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Have you turned those lights on in a fog bank or blowing snowstorm? They'd be worse than high beams. Fog lights are low to cut under the cloud bank.

Regardless of Ford's adopting the 'fog light' tag in the OM that the current crop of Mustang owners keep pushing, they are mounted high and aimed further so as to see waaaay down the road at high speed night driving. Think LeMans.

That's why you're getting flashed by oncoming drivers. And compare the location of fog lights with every other manufacturer. Fog lights are always mounted low and less bright than headlights (and driving lights).

The grill lights have never been fog lights since they were introduced back in the day.

Yours must be adjusted differently than mine, because mine are aimed very low and illuminate the area right in front of the car.
Old 12/7/13, 05:57 PM
GT Member

One thing that I didn't see posted, in many states (like here in Oregon) the fog lights are treated like headlight high-beams. They must be turned off when approaching oncoming traffic. So if you have them on you'll often get flashed by oncoming traffic. Also, I got pulled over by a traffic cop for having them on, so take notice. I had no clue. I just got a warning and the obligatory 'I used to have a mustang' story.
Old 12/7/13, 06:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they truly were "driving" lights then they should work with the high beams. Ford intends them as "fog" lights and as such only work with the low beams.

Either way, they are mostly cosmetic.