2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

latecomer to the "tick" club

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/13, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how many people get the "tick" using a 5W-20 full synthetic vs those who use the 5W-20 blend?

I know years ago full synthetic 5W-30 Mobil 1 caused the 5.7L in my 98 chevy truck to tick. Went back to a conventional oil and the tick was gone. I still own this truck today running conventional oil with no tick.

Wayne
Old 11/25/13, 07:19 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746
Well just did my second oil change and she's ticking much louder now and we noticed the rear end is leaking. Here we go.....
Let me get this escalated for you, steven46746. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by luzstang
never got a call
That’s it! I’ll personally make it a point she calls you today, luzstang.

Deysha
Old 11/25/13, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All done, rear end seal replaced at 8k miles and tick is "normal".
Old 11/25/13, 10:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I wonder how many people get the "tick" using a 5W-20 full synthetic vs those who use the 5W-20 blend?

I know years ago full synthetic 5W-30 Mobil 1 caused the 5.7L in my 98 chevy truck to tick. Went back to a conventional oil and the tick was gone. I still own this truck today running conventional oil with no tick.

Wayne
I may be wrong but Ford recommends running full synthetic, so I don't believe how the oil is made has anything to do with the sound. You can always try and see what happens.
Old 11/25/13, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
All done, rear end seal replaced at 8k miles and tick is "normal".
...is certainly not 'normal', otherwise we would have had it from the factory.
Old 11/25/13, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
...is certainly not 'normal', otherwise we would have had it from the factory.
Well mine had some tick the night I brought it home, it's not very loud though.

Funny thing, while waiting they asked me did I change my oil cap because it said 5w-50 for some reason. /facepalm
Old 11/25/13, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Funny thing, while waiting they asked me did I change my oil cap because it said 5w-50 for some reason. /facepalm
Huh? Don't you have TP car??? I'm confused
Old 11/25/13, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Huh? Don't you have TP car??? I'm confused
Yeah but most dealers don't know a "track pack" exists.
Old 11/27/13, 05:04 AM
V6 Member

I had the same issue. The dealership promised me that a Ford Rep was there to look at my car specifically. So I popped into the service dept to check on things. Ended up sitting there for 4 hours and never saw the Rep and my car was never seen by him either. They finally got tired of looking at me and put the car a the lift. I was invited in and watched them go through and shut down the cylinders 1 by 1. The tick went away when Cylinders 3 and 4 were shut down. After that they gave me the car back and said they had to call the Hotline. At that point I knew it was all bull**** about the service rep. I've never heard back from Ford on this. If it blows then I will have a built Shortblock installed. As for the Stealership they will never get any business from me again.
Old 11/27/13, 09:38 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ssgthooligan
I had the same issue. The dealership promised me that a Ford Rep was there to look at my car specifically. So I popped into the service dept to check on things. Ended up sitting there for 4 hours and never saw the Rep and my car was never seen by him either. They finally got tired of looking at me and put the car a the lift. I was invited in and watched them go through and shut down the cylinders 1 by 1. The tick went away when Cylinders 3 and 4 were shut down. After that they gave me the car back and said they had to call the Hotline...
I escalated this for you, Ssgthooligan. I’ll have your CSM contact you.

Deysha
Old 11/27/13, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I may be wrong but Ford recommends running full synthetic, so I don't believe how the oil is made has anything to do with the sound. You can always try and see what happens.

Ford recommends the semi-synthetic or the synthetic for the Mustang. I don't have the ticking sound in my Mustang. I had it in my 98 Chevy truck when I used to run Mobil 1 in it.

Wayne
Old 11/27/13, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte

Ford recommends the semi-synthetic or the synthetic for the Mustang. I don't have the ticking sound in my Mustang. I had it in my 98 Chevy truck when I used to run Mobil 1 in it.

Wayne
You maybe right, I might switch to Synthetic Blend. Whats the point of running Full Synthetic if we're to get strange noise? So much for protection.

This brings my curiosity, what did everyone do when you got the ticking? Did you all end up using different oil or are you just learning to live with it? How does this effect the engine?

I never saw a post 'this is how I fixed it'...
Old 11/27/13, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You maybe right, I might switch to Synthetic Blend. Whats the point of running Full Synthetic if we're to get strange noise? So much for protection.

This brings my curiosity, what did everyone do when you got the ticking? Did you all end up using different oil or are you just learning to live with it? How does this effect the engine?

I'm sticking with the high dollar Amsoil whether it ticks or not.

Last edited by TheReaper; 11/27/13 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11/27/13, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mine goes away once it warms and so I don't think it is the same "evil tick". I live with it, then again I am used to noisy cars so I don't freak when I start to hear things.
Old 11/28/13, 04:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

My personal opinion is that most synthetics are pretty thin, especially if your running a 5W-20, and because of the variances in engine build, some will tick with synthetics or even the semi-synthetics.

My personal experience with my chevy truck showed that it didn't like the thin Mobil 1 as far as engine noise goes. I'm sure that the ticking noise probably wouldn't have hurt anything but I just didn't like hearing it so It was one of the reasons I switched back to a conventional.

Wayne
Old 11/28/13, 06:20 AM
V6 Member

this is what mine was doing (though not as bad at idle)...also had what sounded like a valve clatter at about 2k rpm. the ticking seems to be gone but the clatter is still there (though a little less). she's going into winter storage (im too busy and frustrated to deal with it anymore now) and i will be taking it back to the dealer in the early spring....

could/would you live with that?
in my case they replaced the lifters, now is that gonna have to be done every 20k mi?
Old 11/28/13, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by luzstang
this is what mine was doing (though not as bad at idle)...also had what sounded like a valve clatter at about 2k rpm. the ticking seems to be gone but the clatter is still there (though a little less). she's going into winter storage (im too busy and frustrated to deal with it anymore now) and i will be taking it back to the dealer in the early spring....

could/would you live with that?
in my case they replaced the lifters, now is that gonna have to be done every 20k mi?
Could and do, but it goes away once warm, oh well.
Old 12/2/13, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I had a nightmare last night that my Shelby started doing this. Oh, and it went from black and red to really dark blue and white, and the stripes turned into boss stripes. One ****er (in the dream) walked up to me and said, "I've called a dr. for you and a tow truck for your car." I said, "for what?" He said, "well with your car sounding like that, it sounds like you've had an accident." ****!!

****, I'm going to have to stop reading these threads!
Old 12/2/13, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I had a nightmare last night that my Shelby started doing this. Oh, and it went from black and red to really dark blue and white, and the stripes turned into boss stripes. One ****er (in the dream) walked up to me and said, "I've called a dr. for you and a tow truck for your car." I said, "for what?" He said, "well with your car sounding like that, it sounds like you've had an accident." ****!! ****, I'm going to have to stop reading these threads!
Old 12/2/13, 07:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I'm sticking with the high dollar Amsoil whether it ticks or not.
My Boss302 started ticking immediately after I changed to Amsoil at a little over 1000 miles. Wish I would've left the factory fill in until 7500 miles....

Quick Reply: latecomer to the "tick" club