Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

latecomer to the "tick" club

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/13, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stocktastic
I'd just run 5-20 till it pops. Having them put 5-50 in could cause some issues when it comes to warranty work when it does go.

I pretty much told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed. They had to have numerous conversations with "The Hotline" before anything got done. They had it almost 3 weeks.

Then when they did call me to come get it, we found out that the tech broke the shroud that covers the core support and took my keys home with him. Quality.
5w50 in a none TrackPack car isn't coming to cause any issues, the TrackPacks have the same motor as the regular GT's they just suggest the 5w50 because it is better for the extended high RPM abuse.
Old 11/18/13, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

Why? Do you run for hours at high rpm - like above 5k?

Hell, why not just throw in a couple of cans of STP and call it a day?

Point being. I got the tick with 5W-20 Full Synthetic which is supposedly recommended grade. I want to see how my car will react to 5W-50. Maybe this will fix the noise, who knows? or was the Synthetic Blend the answer?

Originally Posted by Stocktastic

I'd just run 5-20 till it pops. Having them put 5-50 in could cause some issues when it comes to warranty work when it does go.

I pretty much told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed. They had to have numerous conversations with "The Hotline" before anything got done. They had it almost 3 weeks.

Then when they did call me to come get it, we found out that the tech broke the shroud that covers the core support and took my keys home with him. Quality.
That's right. I don't want them to replace any parts. From what I can tell in a common sense, oil is the cause. And what warranty work? We're already having issues with "recommended" route. If 5W-50 fixes the noise, they should promote me to a service advisor.

Originally Posted by Brandon302

5w50 in a none TrackPack car isn't coming to cause any issues, the TrackPacks have the same motor as the regular GT's they just suggest the 5w50 because it is better for the extended high RPM abuse.
My thoughts exactly. The purpose of having higher viscosity oil is to take precautions at higher operating temperature. Maybe it will prevent us from ticking?
Old 11/18/13, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Point being. I got the tick with 5W-20 Full Synthetic which is supposedly recommended grade. I want to see how my car will react to 5W-50. Maybe this will fix the noise, who knows? or was the Synthetic Blend the answer?

That's right. I don't want them to replace any parts. From what I can tell in a common sense, oil is the cause. And what warranty work? We're already having issues with "recommended" route. If 5W-50 fixes the noise, they should promote me to a service advisor.

My thoughts exactly. The purpose of having higher viscosity oil is to take precautions at higher operating temperature. Maybe it will prevent us from ticking?
I think if you are getting a tick with a certain viscosity changing viscosity will only mask the problem. When you have a cold do you take Dayquil to mask the symptoms and act like a walking contagion or do you get better?
Old 11/18/13, 11:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302

I think if you are getting a tick with a certain viscosity changing viscosity will only mask the problem. When you have a cold do you take Dayquil to mask the symptoms and act like a walking contagion or do you get better?
Interesting approach. But what exactly is the problem then? Why after oil change? Remember, this is not an isolated issue?
Old 11/18/13, 11:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just swap over to 10W30. Little heavier weight should be fine. I doubt if the viscosity will cure the tapping. That 5W20 is some thin stuff. It's like water. I would also like to ask what grade of fuel are you running. The rattle on acceleration sounds like detonation or floating valves due to low octane fuel. Fill her up with premium and see how she does.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 11/18/13 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11/19/13, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interesting approach. But what exactly is the problem then? Why after oil change? Remember, this is not an isolated issue?
Not sure, I know the same happened to me but I did several things all at the same time, one being removal of the foam sound/heat deadening. It could be the valves clattering, could be the injectors, could be the intake solenoid. Take a video of the sound and see how it goes. I don't remember the beginning of this thread, does the sound increase with RPM, stay the same, or go away?
Old 11/19/13, 08:23 AM
V6 Member

Angry

for me it increases with rpm and "load". to replicate it at the dealer (since it does it randomly at idle, or just revving it in neutral) i kinda "power braked it" with the e-brake....as soon as you put any load on it the tick was unmistakable...and i'm still waiting to hear from the dealer....ridiculous, making a car payment on a car i dont have!!
Old 11/19/13, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by luzstang
for me it increases with rpm and "load". to replicate it at the dealer (since it does it randomly at idle, or just revving it in neutral) i kinda "power braked it" with the e-brake....as soon as you put any load on it the tick was unmistakable...and i'm still waiting to hear from the dealer....ridiculous, making a car payment on a car i dont have!!
Mine increased with load, as well.

Normally after it was driven and let sit for about an hour, it would tap at idle for days.
Old 11/20/13, 06:44 AM
V6 Member

well just got a call from the dealer, says they are replacing the lifters...parts are on order...
Old 11/20/13, 10:12 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Deysha,
Did you get my PM...?
Yes. I sent you a response yesterday, PonyMuscletang13.

still no word from my csm, i left her a msg the day i brought the car back (fri. 11/8 and its still there btw) and no response....
i called the dealership last thurs and was rudely told my car has not been diagnosed (not even looked at yet) he said there was a car ahead of mine and then they would do mine....is there only one tech? really ford? he told me they would call me when he had any news....
love the car....hate the service/support (in my experience)....this may be my last ford....
well just got a call from the dealer, says they are replacing the lifters...parts are on order...
I’ll have your CSM contact you today, luzstang.

Deysha
Old 11/20/13, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Yes. I sent you a response yesterday, PonyMuscletang13.

Deysha
Thank you, still waiting for call from CSM.

Last edited by PonyMuscletang13; 11/20/13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11/21/13, 08:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you, still waiting for call from CSM.
Did he call you last night, PonyMuscletang13? It show he called yesterday evening and left you a voice mail.

Deysha
Old 11/21/13, 02:53 PM
Cobra Member

Well just did my second oil change and she's ticking much louder now and we noticed the rear end is leaking. Here we go.....
Old 11/21/13, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
When the oil was changed, did anybody inspect the plug magnet for ferris fuzzing or carefuly cut the filter open and inspect the element? Has anybody ever carefuly gone top to bottom, left to right, front to back with a stethoscope listening for where the sound is coming from? Was a sample of the oil sent into a lab for analysis? The issue should not be as vexing as all this!

Regards,
John
Old 11/21/13, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
Well just did my second oil change and she's ticking much louder now and we noticed the rear end is leaking. Here we go.....
Did you get it done at the dealership? If so, I'm assuming they put 5W-50 recommended for Trackpack cars?
Old 11/21/13, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

Did you get it done at the dealership? If so, I'm assuming they put 5W-50 recommended for Trackpack cars?
Na I used Mobil 1 5w-50 full synthetic
Old 11/23/13, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

Na I used Mobil 1 5w-50 full synthetic
This makes me feel like there is absolutely NOTHING WE CAN DO to prevent our ponies from Ticking. No matter what brand or grade of oil we choose to put in, if we are to get it then we are getting it so randomly so unpredictably.

How Ironic. What is the reason to seek for best product possible in the first place? Because we love our cars because we care we want the best for it. Well look at the result. I feel so foolish telling the dealer "...I want to put FOOL Synthetic"
Old 11/24/13, 05:37 AM
V6 Member

well i got the car back fri eve, it seems to be fixed (for now)...but after driving it for about 50mi i noticed that the engine seemed a bit louder, so i checked the oil (which the dealer changed as per tsb) and i couldnt believe it, 2 qts low!!! mind boggling!

This makes me feel like there is absolutely NOTHING WE CAN DO to prevent our ponies from Ticking. No matter what brand or grade of oil we choose to put in, if we are to get it then we are getting it so randomly so unpredictably.
"
yeah i would bet that this isnt a permanent fix (unless they put in diff lifters?), its always gonna be in the back of my mind...
Old 11/24/13, 05:38 AM
V6 Member

I’ll have your CSM contact you today, luzstang.

Deysha[/QUOTE]

never got a call
Old 11/24/13, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

Drove it last night and the tick seems back to "normal" sound levels. May have just been louder for the few minutes after the oil change. Still headed to the dealership tomorrow for the leaking rear end and will mention the tick , bet they fix it!!!!

Quick Reply: latecomer to the "tick" club