2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/15, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the service manual, I believe it indicates you also need to have disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes. Then reconnect, turn key to "on" (but not start) and slowly depress/release the throttle.

There is also a similar procedure for "relearning" the idle control. You disconnect battery, reconnect, start car (with A/C turned completely off), let it idle till warm, then turn A/C on for 5 minutes and drive car for 10 miles or so.

I've done the throttle reset, and it did nothing for the throttle lag on my car (but for sure its a great thing to try, and costs nothing).
Old 4/8/15, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the throttle reset. You will know it was done correctly when you see your check engine light blink twice then stay lit.
Old 4/9/15, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of you have tried the throttle recalibration but you still have a very noticable hesitation or lag. I had the same result after my first attempt. Try this. Instead of depressing the accelerator pedal with your foot, use your hand. As you slowly allow the pedal to come back up, pull up on the pedal at the end so it is as completely back up as high as possibble. We are working with fractions of an inch here. This changed the result for me.
Old 4/9/15, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I did the pedal reset and noticed a instant difference!
But I never had the check engine light flash!
Old 4/9/15, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I did the pedal reset and noticed a instant difference!
But I never had the check engine light flash!

You are right about the instant difference. My car shifts through the gears better also. I don't know why my car did the check engine light flash.
Old 4/10/15, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the pedal max installed as noted in my previous post. today, i did the throttle reset and noticed no difference.
Old 4/11/15, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pedalmax is overiding any throttle reset. That's why you intalled it.
Old 4/12/15, 04:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
strange, califsp, another poster, momogt, also had the pedmax installed and he performed the throttle reset and reported he noticed a difference.
Old 4/12/15, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edw794
strange, califsp, another poster, momogt, also had the pedmax installed and he performed the throttle reset and reported he noticed a difference.
Don't believe everything he's says. He tends to exaggerate on some things.
Old 4/12/15, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by edw794
Placebo effect.
Old 4/12/15, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we are mixing two different things, the throttle reset will recalibrate the minimum and maximum resistive value of your electronic actuator. Based on mechanical differences of your actuator (gas pedal) the minimum and maximum value may be different from car to car.

For example, your computer is expecting let say .05 ohms when your pedal is released and let say 90 ohms at full throttle. But now let assume that your actuator is a bit different and it has .02 ohms at minimum, so what happens is that the computer will not detect that you are pressing on the accelerator until you reach 0.5 ohms and causing a dead spot or a lag in the response of your gas pedal.

The throttle reset procedure is there to reset those value into your computer, basically it re-learn your min and max values and override the default value in the PCM.

On the other end, systems like Pedal Max or Sprint booster are remapping the curve on how resistive value is changing when pressing in the pedal. So again I will try to explain it in simple terms..

When your gas pedal is released there's no change with or without the system installed. Now, let's say you press the pedal at 1/4, without system the value will be let say 25ohms but with Pedal max, the boosted signal shows 50ohms. Therefore it's tricking the computer thinking the gas pedal is almost half way rather then at 1/4.
The electronic module (PedalMax or Sprint booster) amplify and change the curve of the value from the actuator, so it reacts more aggressively but does not change the min or max value but you will reach max value much faster.

I hope this is not too confusing and helps explaining the difference in both systems..
Old 4/12/15, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a nice little video that shows the impact on those systems in the throttle position versus PCM response. You can see that at the same physical position of the pedal the rpm is increased as the PCM see higher value.

Old 4/12/15, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed Pedalmax today. The most difficult part of the install was just getting under there. I only had time for a quick test drive around the block. What I noticed so far, was faster, smoother acceleration. I also purchased the adjustment **** for complete control over it. This is not a placebo. I can turn it off on the fly and the improvement in performance goes away. Very happy so far and I look forward to some more "test" driving.

Name:  20150412_172813.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  180.3 KB
Old 4/12/15, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for posting results, Chris. I didn't purchase the **** with mine (figuring I would just want to leave it "completely on" all the time), so there was no way to easily confirm the difference.
Old 4/12/15, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Thanks for posting results, Chris. I didn't purchase the **** with mine (figuring I would just want to leave it "completely on" all the time), so there was no way to easily confirm the difference.
My pleasure. I don't think mine will move off of 100% either, but I just like having options. Mine is a daily driver, so maybe when winter hits and roads get slick, I will back it off or just turn it off completely.
Old 4/25/15, 12:10 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Sprint Booster installed today. Preliminary report is pretty **** awesome. I couldn't spend a lot of time in the car today. I'll take it out tomorrow. I really like the LED switch. More tomorrow.
Old 4/25/15, 04:13 PM

VidPro I just got mine today anything I need to know about the installation?
Old 4/25/15, 04:24 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by dly2k1
VidPro I just got mine today anything I need to know about the installation?
Simple. Basically disconnect the neg on the battery and install. Hardest part is squeezing under dash to install. My friend helped me out. I put the LED Button on the side of the console. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Old 4/25/15, 05:39 PM

Just installed it and took it for a spin! HOLY F*ck! this is a totally different car even with just the middle setting (green LED) the car is insane, the red LED is crazy! I am gong to need some new rubber very soon! Yahoo!!!!! finally no more DBW lag!
Old 4/25/15, 06:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by dly2k1
Just installed it and took it for a spin! HOLY F*ck! this is a totally different car even with just the middle setting (green LED) the car is insane, the red LED is crazy! I am gong to need some new rubber very soon! Yahoo!!!!! finally no more DBW lag!
Yeah. I took my buddy(the one who helped install it) and he was really impressed in the passenger seat. It does feel totally different.

Quick Reply: Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!