Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/14, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!

Just installed a JMS PedalMax unit and I have to say it is the best money I have spent on my '14 GT! It took 5 minutes to install and holy crap! The car LEAPS off the line now and just feels "fixed!"

If you feel like your throttle response isn't quite what it should be- purchase and install this unit. All I can say is its just a night and day difference.
http://www.jmschip.com/pedalmax-2011...ford-vehicles/

My throttle has always lagged a bit (which can be a real pain, since I drive my 6MT in bumper to bumper traffic every day).

The Ford Racing ProCal tune (which I had installed over a year ago) is supposed to "fix" the throttle lag, and it does somewhat- but its still there. Plus, it seems to screw up the idle a bit (Ford Racing promised to "get back to me" on that issue and never did). An idle calibration made things a little better- but the RPMs still "nose dived" on occasion.

One drive with the JMS unit installed, and the car just feels exactly right! In fact, it feels a little scary when I put it into SportTrac mode (or whatever its called). I'm not sure how the thing works (it seems to be just a small board hooked up to a 25 pin connector), but I've read that it boosts the voltage of the signal sent from the accelerator to the throttle body. Whatever it does, it really is quite grin producing and I'm a lot happier with my 5.0 (may have to purchase one for our F150). It seems to increase the idle speed just a tiny bit, and it takes all the tentativeness out of the throttle. You tap it and the hounds are instantly released!

Not any review I could find on this site (other than someone asking about it a month or so ago and a few people suggesting it was a gimmick). If anyone else has this thing installed, I'd be curious to see if your results are similar. The main thing JMS talks about is "fixing the tendancy to stall" when taking off from a stop with the manual. I've always been able to manage in that regard, but it definitely does make it a lot easier to take off. When I back into our driveway, I'm going uphill- and that's where the squiffy throttle would make things most challenging... no more!
Old 9/12/14, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a tune you install also? Or just a plug in device that enhances current tune?
Old 9/12/14, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can install it with or without a tune, according to the product info. I do not believe it interacts with the ECU at all (I think it just bumps up the voltage sent to the throttle body and probably resets the curve of the accelerator- weighting it more to the front).

If I had installed this first, I don't think I would have felt any need for further tuning. The Ford Racing tune came with the GT500 axlebacks as part of their Performance Package- so it wasn't all that expensive... other than the idle issue it seemed to induce, I've been happy with it.
Old 9/12/14, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I wonder why you don't hear about this more...
Old 9/12/14, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know- I saw this in the "What's New" section of Mustang Monthy a couple months ago and figured "What the heck, its worth a shot."

It might turn out to be something really stupid, but all I know is it really woke up my Mustang (I convinced my wife to run out for ice cream with me just now, and even she was like "What did you do to this car?!?").

I'm hoping there isn't some sort of "learning" feature in the ECU that will eventually defeat the effect (I had an '07 Saab 9-3 Aero that was a beast when first tuned... but the computer eventually brought it down just a bit- but not before I logged a few awesome 0-60 runs ).
Old 9/12/14, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this follows the same principle as the Sprint Booster (www.sprintboosterusa.com) which also has an application for the Mustang.

This is from their webpage:

"Vehicles in the 21st century have replaced the more conventional throttle cable technology for an ECM(Electronic Control Module) that translates pedal travel into electronic signals in order to provide power to the wheels.

The ETC system (Electronic Throttle Control) – also known as drive-by-wire –has the unfortunate downside of delayed throttle response and subdued acceleration, creating problems in certain circumstances such as up-hill starts, quick gear changes, overtaking, etc. The Sprint Booster aims to over come this throttle response delay for ETC-equipped vehicles, providing crisp on-tap acceleration at the driver’s disposal.

Sprint Booster might very well be the “smartest” gadget on your car.

It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal.

The design of the SprintBooster allows for its easy installation in all models, without the need to cut any wires (plug n’ play) or intervene in the automobile’s electronics (it does not affect other systems such as electronic injection, ABS, etc.).
Sprint Booster connects on the accelerator pedal connector. All you need to do is disconnect the OEM connector from the accelerator pedal and connect Sprint Booster in between (one side connects to the pedal and one side on the OEM connector)."
Old 9/12/14, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, whatever he just said ^^^^

I'm glad to see the Sprint Booster costs about the same as what I paid for the PedalMax... Now I'm wondering if there is a down side to this thing?

Some things you add and think "Yeah, I think I feel a difference." With this thing installed, there is no question that something has changed! It almost makes you laugh every time you hit the accelerator. When I ordered my '14, I traded in a BMW Z4 coupe- and I've always maintained "The Mustang is fast, the Bimmer was quick." Now my Mustang is "fast AND quick."

Oh, and the wheel hop I managed to get rid of with LCAs is back...

Last edited by Varilux; 9/13/14 at 12:07 AM.
Old 9/13/14, 03:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you. I have to get this. The throttle lag is awful.
Old 9/13/14, 03:44 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I knew someone who bought one of these throttle boosters for his Dodge back in 2007. I believe it stopped working after a year
Old 9/13/14, 04:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I knew someone who bought one of these throttle boosters for his Dodge back in 2007. I believe it stopped working after a year
Any idea what brand?
Old 9/13/14, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious about both of these products, but I am also cautious because I have never seen them talked about until now. Hopefully, more people chime in.
Old 9/13/14, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Op if you wouldnt mind posting a pic of your sterling grey with red interior, i have black with red interior, curious to see the sterling grey with it.
Old 9/13/14, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Went to the office on my way to the TCU game this morning and pulled some starts in our empty parking lot. The Track App's accelerometer confirmed my butt-dyno. At this point, if you told me this thing was going to work fine for a year and then break- I'd probably buy it again. It makes the car so much more fun to drive!

Op if you wouldnt mind posting a pic of your sterling grey with red interior, i have black with red interior, curious to see the sterling grey with it.
Sure thing! Black is gorgeous- but the dust/pollen in Dallas and my OCD would make a bad combination! Here are some pics of the '14 (and one of the '65 that also reflects my love of red interiors ).

Old 9/14/14, 12:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unreal pics brother. Cars look flawless.

Now you have me wondering about the red center console dash trim.

Where can i get this?
Old 9/14/14, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by wheelman
Any idea what brand?
It was so long ago, i can't remember . I believe these things do make throttle delay less. I don't have any 'throttle delay' on my v6 automatic with my $75 MPT tune. Just saying......
Old 9/14/14, 04:23 AM

Pete, your 65 is beautiful
Old 9/14/14, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone! I have a wife who is very tolerant of my "Mustang hobby!" My dad and I drove that '65 from Dallas to Charlotte and back for the 50th celebration. She only has a six cylinder, but with the T-5speed manual installed during the restoration, she'll happily cruise along at 90mph all day (in fact, we made the entire 1,100 mile trip from Charlotte back to Dallas in under 16 hours- including gas and food stops).

Regarding the PedalMax, I think this particular product (at least the JMS version) has only been around for a few months. Having seen there have been other products out for a while, I'm guessing they reverse engineered the thing (and hopefully made some improvements). I think the combination of the FR ProCal tune (the primary feature of that tune is increasing low-end torque) and the PedalMax (which gets the throttle open much sooner) is a real winner. As long as the ECU doesn't eventually "adjust" to and defeat this set-up, I am going to be VERY happy! Even at speed there are positives... now when I flip from 6th to 5th and punch it, the car just lauches.

Now you have me wondering about the red center console dash trim.
Where can i get this?
Actually, its the stock pieces with red Plasti-Dip. I noticed the standard red Plasti-Dip was very close to the Brick Red interior in my '14. I wanted "more red" in my interior (to better match the '65), so I removed the two panels (which is easy), removed the shifter surround bezel (not too hard), and removed the little Microsoft SYNC badge (a real bear). Then I applied 7-8 light coats of Plasti-Dip, reassembled and installed.

I was initially a skeptic of Plasti-Dip, but after using it on some non-automotive projects (and on some other vehicles) I've come to view it- when used thoughtfully/sparingly- as an interesting customization tool (that is totally reversible). People who don't know what a '14 interior is supposed to look like don't even notice I've done anything (which was my objective), and those who do know that piece shouldn't be red ask where I ordered it. The texture is very similar to the rest of the interior, and I'm quite happy with it- and I used the "left over" red Plasti-Dip to do this project (with black Plasti to dechrome the ring)...

Last edited by Varilux; 9/14/14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 9/15/14, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where did you buy the PedalMax and how much did it cost you? Did you buy it from the link you listed?

Last edited by amplifier28; 9/15/14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 9/15/14, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

I purchased directly from the link provided in the original post. Cost (including shipping) was- ironically- $302.
Old 9/18/14, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought these things were complete BS. Now I'm quite intrigued.....

Quick Reply: Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!