2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

How do people get such high MPG with their mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/11 | 10:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I was getting 11 to 13 mpg with my Boss when I first got it, now I have over 1100 miles and average 16, Im never on thruway, all town / city driving.
Old 10/10/11 | 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I get 12.8 -13 combined and about 13 on the highway LOL.

IDK why though.
Old 10/10/11 | 07:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

^ You know there are more gears above 3rd?

Old 10/10/11 | 07:20 AM
I Have No Life

All I can tell ya is that in my 05 I am getting 28MPG on the highway (3 hour+ drive) with a CAI and tune. Combined I get 22MPG. A lot depends on how you drive. If I am heavy footed all the time then it drops down to 18MPG. I can't see the 2010+ being all that different.
Old 10/10/11 | 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
^ You know there are more gears above 3rd?

I was about to say the same! Cruisin on the highway at 4000 rpm?
Old 10/10/11 | 08:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by unas2k5
I get 12.8 -13 combined and about 13 on the highway LOL.

IDK why though.
lol I don't even think I can make that happen if I tried, maybe if I reset the counter then just hit the drag strip.
Old 10/10/11 | 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got 26.7 (indicated on the dash) on the way to the track the other day, almost all highway.

Now that I have a few miles on my car combined I still get about 21, and I am not exactly easy on it.
Old 10/10/11 | 01:14 PM
V6 Member

as others have mentioned, there are several little techniques that can add up to better fuel economy. here's a few, in no particular order:

Stay off of the brake pedal! every time you slow down, means you will eventually speed back up. it's a little counter-intuitive, but nothing kills your mileage worse than the brake pedal.

Keep your foot off the clutch when you aren't using it. You may be slipping the clutch a little without realizing it, there's a reason cars have dead pedals, the clutch pedal is not a footrest!

take advantage of decel fuel cut. coast when possible, leaving the car in gear to slow down, rather than using the brakes to slow down.

avoid using cruise control in hilly areas, your car will use waay more gas trying to hold a steady speed, rather than slowing down a little as you climb that hill.

lose that dead weight! more weight in your car means more fuel spent, so take the junk out of the trunk!

in heavy traffic, leave a much larger than usual following distance, this will allow you to hold a steady speed rather than stop-and-go. Pay attention to how the truckers drive, they do this all the time. there's a reason.

slow it down! just driving 5mph slower will net you large fuel savings, but it may result in dirty looks.

tire pressure/tires. Narrower tires have a smaller contact patch with the road, therefore less rolling resistance. This is why a Prius has such tiny tires. Also, over inflating the tires just a touch will decrease contact patch, and therefore rolling resistance.

keep your car maintained. Fresh oil, air filters, etc will keep your car running more efficiently.

turn off the A/C and turn down the radio. Air conditioning, and your alternator, uses up quite a bit of power. While the alternator is spinning all the time regardless, it's only under load when it needs to produce power, so the less power it needs to produce, the less drag it creates.

keep in as high a gear possible without lugging the engine. a working engine is much more efficient than one that is loafing around, and *** such, short blasts of throttle followed by getting into high gear ASAP will net you gains. this is where that skip-shift comes into play.

On to a little more hardcore mileage boosters.

Drafting! yes, it works. it's also very dangerous, so use a bit of common sense with this one.

Wax your car/keep it clean. clean sheet metal is slicker, and will have a better coefficient of drag, although not by much.

Lowering your car will also reduce the amount of air that goes under it. The underside of most cars is very aerodynamically dirty, look at NASCAR cars, the front airdam almost touches the ground.

You can also tape off seams, tape off front air inlets, etc, but once we get to this point, we're getting to a point of diminishing returns.

If I can get 16mpg in a gas E-350, loaded, at 9200 pounds, you guys can break 20mpg in a lightweight, and much more aerodynamic, mustang all day long.

If your averaging under 20mpg across a tank and have a problem with your mileage, you really need to reconsider your driving habits. Sure, it's a sports car, sure it's fun to drive, but do you really have to drive the snot out of 100% of the time? the highway isn't a racetrack guys...
Old 10/10/11 | 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Best technique: Don't stop. Ever.

I did a trip to Kerrville and back. Got, I kid you not, 22+ on the hills. I was... confused by this, because, you know, had to deal with curves, shifting, uphill... you'd think I'd use more gas.

Nope, the best thing is to not stop. That's when I get 15-19, depending on the AC and lights and how much lead my foot is carrying that day.
Old 10/11/11 | 06:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by whoah
as others have mentioned, there are several little techniques that can add up to better fuel economy. here's a few, in no particular order:

Stay off of the brake pedal! every time you slow down, means you will eventually speed back up. it's a little counter-intuitive, but nothing kills your mileage worse than the brake pedal.

Keep your foot off the clutch when you aren't using it. You may be slipping the clutch a little without realizing it, there's a reason cars have dead pedals, the clutch pedal is not a footrest!

take advantage of decel fuel cut. coast when possible, leaving the car in gear to slow down, rather than using the brakes to slow down.

avoid using cruise control in hilly areas, your car will use waay more gas trying to hold a steady speed, rather than slowing down a little as you climb that hill.

lose that dead weight! more weight in your car means more fuel spent, so take the junk out of the trunk!

in heavy traffic, leave a much larger than usual following distance, this will allow you to hold a steady speed rather than stop-and-go. Pay attention to how the truckers drive, they do this all the time. there's a reason.

slow it down! just driving 5mph slower will net you large fuel savings, but it may result in dirty looks.

tire pressure/tires. Narrower tires have a smaller contact patch with the road, therefore less rolling resistance. This is why a Prius has such tiny tires. Also, over inflating the tires just a touch will decrease contact patch, and therefore rolling resistance.

keep your car maintained. Fresh oil, air filters, etc will keep your car running more efficiently.

turn off the A/C and turn down the radio. Air conditioning, and your alternator, uses up quite a bit of power. While the alternator is spinning all the time regardless, it's only under load when it needs to produce power, so the less power it needs to produce, the less drag it creates.

keep in as high a gear possible without lugging the engine. a working engine is much more efficient than one that is loafing around, and *** such, short blasts of throttle followed by getting into high gear ASAP will net you gains. this is where that skip-shift comes into play.

On to a little more hardcore mileage boosters.

Drafting! yes, it works. it's also very dangerous, so use a bit of common sense with this one.

Wax your car/keep it clean. clean sheet metal is slicker, and will have a better coefficient of drag, although not by much.

Lowering your car will also reduce the amount of air that goes under it. The underside of most cars is very aerodynamically dirty, look at NASCAR cars, the front airdam almost touches the ground.

You can also tape off seams, tape off front air inlets, etc, but once we get to this point, we're getting to a point of diminishing returns.

If I can get 16mpg in a gas E-350, loaded, at 9200 pounds, you guys can break 20mpg in a lightweight, and much more aerodynamic, mustang all day long.

If your averaging under 20mpg across a tank and have a problem with your mileage, you really need to reconsider your driving habits. Sure, it's a sports car, sure it's fun to drive, but do you really have to drive the snot out of 100% of the time? the highway isn't a racetrack guys...

Good post.
Old 10/11/11 | 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I put 300+ miles on the Stang yesterday. I wanted to see how good of gas mileage I could get shifting nice and easy, like normal people. I often skipped 2nd and often from 3rd to 6th. This was mostly two lane roads with some two lanes at 65mph. Staying 60 or below, I got 26mpg for most of the trip. After stopping for gas on the way back, I couldn't stand it any more and got 18mpg the rest of the way home. LOL!
Old 10/11/11 | 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

First thing to remember is that its the internet, and you should always believe everything you read on the internet.
Sup I'm 19 years old ,i have a 2006 v6 ,I always get about 18mpg and I drive70%cyt and 30 hwy and im always over the speed limit .do a good tune up to it .
Old 10/11/11 | 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by vicrazy
Sup I'm 19 years old ,i have a 2006 v6 ,I always get about 18mpg and I drive70%cyt and 30 hwy and im always over the speed limit .do a good tune up to it .
Is this for real?
Old 10/11/11 | 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

Is this for real?
It's probably 2012GT coming back to cause some trouble lol.
Old 10/18/11 | 09:25 PM

Holy ...

I can tell you i am happy I did not go for GT.

I have 2012 V6 PP and I am averaging
12.5L/100KM (~19MPG) after 8500KM (~5000miles)

(50% city & 50% hwy )

... but let me tell you I LOVE those red lights, and once they turn green it's a LAUNCH time

P.S.
No tickets yet
Old 10/19/11 | 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

I get an average of probably 19-21 in my 5.0? Been as low as 17 on some tanks & high as 24 on others. The high tank was going 80-120, too! I just keep my foot out of it.

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 10/21/11 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10/20/11 | 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Not stopping is how to get the mileage up. I get about 15-15.5 mpg driving to work (7-8 mile drive with 4 stop signs and 9 lights). Even shifting 2-4-6 doesn't really help. I took it out for w hours the other day in the country because the weather was nice, some WOT and generally messing around enjoying the car and it went to 18 mpg because I hardly ever had to stop. Still haven't been on the highway yet so I can't report on that.
Old 10/21/11 | 03:23 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Vuli2005
Holy ...

I can tell you i am happy I did not go for GT.

I have 2012 V6 PP and I am averaging
12.5L/100KM (~19MPG) after 8500KM (~5000miles)

(50% city & 50% hwy )

... but let me tell you I LOVE those red lights, and once they turn green it's a LAUNCH time

P.S.
No tickets yet
you would love those red lights even more with the 5.0
Old 10/21/11 | 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
you would love those red lights even more with the 5.0
I am sure I would, but would my wallet like it ?

Last edited by Vuli2005; 10/21/11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10/21/11 | 01:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Vuli2005
I am sure I would, but would my wallet like it ?
your wallet would hate it like fire

Quick Reply: How do people get such high MPG with their mustang GT?