Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/10, 12:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemosgt
Had CAA do the tire change. Hey I'm getting too old. Don't understand why you guys want to change your own wheels when you have road-side-assistance available.?

Cheers.
Ummm.... I don't want to wait for an hour or two while they come when I can have it changed in 10 minutes.
Old 8/15/10, 06:56 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The V-6 Mustangs don't come with a spare tire. If you call 'Roadside Assistance' you must have a 'useable spare tire'.

I've had three flat tires in my 41 years of driving, they all have been with-in 10 miles from where i lived.
Old 8/16/10, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
The V-6 Mustangs don't come with a spare tire. If you call 'Roadside Assistance' you must have a 'useable spare tire'.
I've heard this too.

If you call FORD Roadside Assistance, then it would be their problem if they get there and see you have no spare !!

However, it would probably be a good idea to tell operator that thanks to FORD, your car does not have a spare and they better be sending a flatbed rather than just a guy who knows how to mount a spare.

Also, hopefully your flat is in the back as even with air in both front tires a 2011 Mustang is already too low to the ground to winch up on a flatbed without the chain / cable touching the front ground effects a bit until the front tires get onto the flatbed platform (1st hand experience).

Doug
Old 8/16/10, 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
I've heard this too.

If you call FORD Roadside Assistance, then it would be their problem if they get there and see you have no spare !!

However, it would probably be a good idea to tell operator that thanks to FORD, your car does not have a spare and they better be sending a flatbed rather than just a guy who knows how to mount a spare.

Also, hopefully your flat is in the back as even with air in both front tires a 2011 Mustang is already too low to the ground to winch up on a flatbed without the chain / cable touching the front ground effects a bit until the front tires get onto the flatbed platform (1st hand experience).

Doug
The tow driver should know/realize this and have some extra boards handy...

I'm just glad I have my spare now. Waiting for some flunky to come and put air in my tire or tow it away isn't my idea of fun.
Old 8/16/10, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
Ummm.... I don't want to wait for an hour or two while they come when I can have it changed in 10 minutes.

From experience about 20 minutes, unless you're in rush hour or a snow storm. CAA, and I assume AAA/Ford use the nearest authorized tow shop. You have paid for the service, use it especially if it's raining. But I can see your point. You are probably a lot younger and more fit than I.

I might be worried, though without a spare, if they would tow it or not. You would have to hope the inflator thingy works.

Cheers.
Old 8/16/10, 07:33 PM
GT Member

From owners manual:

Roadside assistance will cover:
• a flat tire change with a good spare (except vehicles that have been
supplied with a tire inflation ki
t)

WARNING: The use of tire sealants may damage your tire
pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and should not be used.
However, if you must use a sealant, the TPMS sensor and valve stem
on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer
So that means if you have a flat, with no spare, you're out of luck with Ford roadside repair.

Then if you do get it to seal, YOU have to pay money to get Ford to replace the valve stem and TPMS sensor because you used the tools they told you to use.

I've had two sidewall punctures in the last 2 1/2 years and I would not be caught dead without a spare.
I, for one, will not leave the dealership without a spare in my trunk.
Old 8/16/10, 08:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TireKicker
From owners manual:

Roadside assistance will cover:
• a flat tire change with a good spare (except vehicles that have been
supplied with a tire inflation ki
t)

WARNING: The use of tire sealants may damage your tire
pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and should not be used.
However, if you must use a sealant, the TPMS sensor and valve stem
on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer

So that means if you have a flat, with no spare, you're out of luck with Ford roadside repair.

Then if you do get it to seal, YOU have to pay money to get Ford to replace the valve stem and TPMS sensor because you used the tools they told you to use.
holy crap.. that's ridiculous
Old 8/17/10, 05:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TireKicker

I've had two sidewall punctures in the last 2 1/2 years and I would not be caught dead without a spare.
I, for one, will not leave the dealership without a spare in my trunk.
The last 4 flats I've had involved the tire being torn up beyond repair.

I'm not planning to leave the dealership without a spare either. New or used, I don't care, but I need a spare. I talked to my salesman yesterday and he is supposed to get back to me on it. I'm not happy about it at all.

Last edited by John GT; 8/17/10 at 05:17 AM.
Old 8/17/10, 06:16 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by John GT
The last 4 flats I've had involved the tire being torn up beyond repair.

I'm not planning to leave the dealership without a spare either. New or used, I don't care, but I need a spare. I talked to my salesman yesterday and he is supposed to get back to me on it. I'm not happy about it at all.
Have your salesman, order a spare, jack and lug wrench for a 2010 G.T. for your 2011 V-6. I had to pay $306.64 for this stuff from my dealer. No junkyards in my area have any used spare tires.

I think in a year or two they will be some kind of class action law suit over this 'no spare tire' coming with the V-6 Mustang.

My Magnaflow mufflers are so much lighter than the factory ones, i think after removing the pump, my over all weight will end up being close to the same with the spare tire.
Old 8/17/10, 06:34 AM
Cobra R Member

What's the big deal with the weight concerns? If you're going to the track you can take all the extra weight out. Freakin' groceries can weigh as much as the spare.

I'm not going to worry about an extra 35 pounds in the back of the car. One passenger can add 100-200 lbs but how many of you are going to say, "OMG, you can't ride, you weigh too much for my car to perform well." Although, now that I think about it, it is a good way to keep the less desirable passengers out.

As for the roadside assistance, in the DC area, 20 minutes would NEVER happen. I've called twice in 15 years. Both times were close to 2 hours. I even called Ford AND AAA for the same call knowing it would take a while and decided whoever got there first got the credit for it. They don't use "the nearest tow company." They use the nearest CONTRACTED tow company. And in an urban area, the tow companies stay pretty busy.
Old 8/17/10, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I consider roadside assistance as "last resort assistance". Several years ago we were on a road trip travelling north through Pennsylvania on I-79 when we needed help from AAA. We didn't know what town we were closest to (never been in the area before) but we knew we were on I-79 NB and the closest mile marker. AAA told us they couldn't help unless we told them what town we were nearest and that mile markers didn't tell them anything (this was before exits were renumbered to match mile markers). It took several phone calls and nearly three hours to get help.

I still have AAA (mostly for my wife) but I have no intention of leaving the dealership without a spare tire.
Old 8/17/10, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

alot better than the dinky little thing they give us to put on our beautiful cars...
Old 8/17/10, 10:55 AM
V6 Member

[QUOTE=David Young;5931322]Have your salesman, order a spare, jack and lug wrench for a 2010 G.T. for your 2011 V-6. I had to pay $306.64 for this stuff from my dealer.

It will be well worth it if you have to use it one time.

Is the tire a 185/60 17? Maybe you can sell the fix a flat stuff that came with your car.
Old 8/17/10, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 2010 spare is T185/60-17 while the 2011 is T195/50-18. They are essentially the same overall diameter and revs per mile but both are about 5% smaller than the regular wheel/tire.

The 2011 is an aluminum wheel while the 2010 is steel. I don't really care about the relatively small weight difference in my trunk but I'm thinking that the lighter wheel would be easier to handle when you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
Old 8/17/10, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
What's the big deal with the weight concerns? If you're going to the track you can take all the extra weight out. Freakin' groceries can weigh as much as the spare.

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I'm not going to worry about an extra 35 pounds in the back of the car. One passenger can add 100-200 lbs but how many of you are going to say, "OMG, you can't ride, you weigh too much for my car to perform well." Although, now that I think about it, it is a good way to keep the less desirable passengers out.
Old 8/17/10, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The 2010 spare is T185/60-17 while the 2011 is T195/50-18. They are essentially the same overall diameter and revs per mile but both are about 5% smaller than the regular wheel/tire.

The 2011 is an aluminum wheel while the 2010 is steel.
The 2010 V6 Spare tire wheel is steel and has a smaller T155/70-17 tire on it (per Sal earlier in thread).

The 2005-10 GT spare tire is T185/60-17 and uses an "2-pc. stamped" aluminum rim that looks like steel (at least ways the 2007 vintage one I got off of e-bay has this type of rim).

The 2011 GT 18" Spare comes on a "cast" alumium rim.

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 8/17/10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

So is the 2011 GT spare lighter than the 2010 GT spare?
Old 8/17/10, 07:50 PM
Post *****

My 18x4 Marauder mini is alum and weighs 33#. Tire is T155/80D18.
Old 8/18/10, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
So is the 2011 GT spare lighter than the 2010 GT spare?
We don't know yet ... still waiting for an '11 GT owner to pop it out of the trunk and put it on a scale !!

Thanks Charlie for weighing your Marauder spare, but that's not really apples to apples with the '11 ... close though !!

My guess is since the '11 spare is bigger, it probably weighs a little more than than the 28.8 lbs that the 2005-10 GT 17" one does ... but is it more or less than the Marauder spare ??

Doug
Old 8/18/10, 11:43 AM
V6 Member

I'm officially looking for a spare for my on order 2011 V6. My salesman said there isn't anything he can do to help me with it. He quoted me a price of $456 for a new spare, jack & lug wrench. That's way too high.

If anyone knows of a good deal please let me know.

My ETA is August 27th. I would really like to have the spare ASAP. The car is going to be my wife's daily driver and I want it fully equipped. The car is replaceable she's not!

Last edited by John GT; 8/18/10 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!