Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/10, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!

Had seen a few spares & jack kits on e-bay BEFORE my car arrived in mid May but had been checking it off & on ever since and there has been nothing. Had my dealer check what he could do and all the items are purchased separately (including tire & rim) and it was going to cost over $350. Supposedly this was also close to dealer cost (he owed me a favor) and not retail.

Last Friday, I decided to check a few local salvage yards and came up with NOTHING, so I started searching online for other salvage yards in N-E Wisconsin. At one point a link to e-bay popped up, and even though I just checked the day before I clicked the link and a Mustang GT 17" 05-09 mini spare was included in the list !! Never mounted or on the ground ... $75 BIN + $30 shipping; bought it then started searching for a jack kit. Within minutes I found a complete jack kit too ... $50 BIN + $11 shipping. As said, I'd been checking e-bay for 2.5 months with no luck then wham my search was over !!

Listing said the wheel was aluminum, but it sure looked/looks like stamped steel. Well, it really IS ALUMINUM and it is pretty light ... about 8 lbs. lighter than the T145/90D-16" Temp Spare I've got from my '03 Dodge Grand Caravan (now has a full size) that I'd "hoped" would fit over the front brakes ... no such luck.

E-bay listing for the Jack Kit did not show the instruction sheet, but I got a surprise as it came with it. Only two items that were not included were the wing nut and the floor support cap, but these are part of the inflator kit hardware. The spare hold down bolt & plate are the same too, so technically you don't need these either.

I'll get some comparison weights next week on the UPS scale at work (between the spare set up vs. the inflator kit) to see what the real weight penalty is. A little more weight over the back is good anyway ... get a little closer to 50:50 ??

Here's some pics ...
Attached Thumbnails Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!-temp-spare-mtd-front.jpg   Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!-must-17-vs-dodge-gc-16.jpg   Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!-complete-jack-kit.jpg   Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!-2011-us-v6-spare-trunk.jpg  
Old 8/5/10, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my kona blue 2010 has the same paint mark in the trunk area like yours. I thought it was there by accident,but they must be doing something with the robots? I do wish would have just painted the whole area.
Old 8/5/10, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow,bad enough they no longer provide spare tire in some case...but no paint...im kinda shooked!

Old 8/6/10, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
wow,bad enough they no longer provide spare tire in some case...but no paint...im kinda shooked!

It's painted, just not the finish color. Who ever looks under the trunk mat anyway ??

The whole body goes through a primer bath (epoxy if I remember correctly), so there really is nothing "un-painted" as far as the body goes. At least under the hood there seems to be better finish paint coverage than the SN-95 Stangs ever did.

Doug
Old 8/9/10, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

5.46 lbs. for Air Pump, Styrofoam block, and Mtg. hardware.
vs.
5.30 lbs. for Jack, Wrench, and all mtg. hardware
plus
28.66 lbs. for '07 GT 17" Temp Spare w/ 60 PSI air

= 28.5 lb. is all the weight Ford is saving by forcing us to have this silly air pump kit instead of a spare !!

Going to take one hell of an MPG hit with that weight addition ... NOT ... definitely thought it was going to be more !!

Sounds lame, but I'd say this is my most functional mod to date.

Doug
Old 8/9/10, 07:07 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

made dead sure its the same overall diameter as the normal wheel/tire combo or you will burn up your limited slip diff if you use it on the rear.
Old 8/9/10, 07:12 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinger1982
made dead sure its the same overall diameter as the normal wheel/tire combo or you will burn up your limited slip diff if you use it on the rear.
I keep hearing the same thing. I'll stick to my 'Tire Plug Kit'. LOL!!!
Old 8/9/10, 07:53 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by David Young
I keep hearing the same thing. I'll stick to my 'Tire Plug Kit'. LOL!!!
ya, they wont warranty it if you used a spare that did not come with the car.
and if they are not EXACTLY the same you will burn up the limited slip diff in nothing flat.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 8/9/10 at 07:55 AM.
Old 8/9/10, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Originally Posted by cjjiii
my kona blue 2010 has the same paint mark in the trunk area like yours. I thought it was there by accident,but they must be doing something with the robots? I do wish would have just painted the whole area.
My white GT has a different color primer, but the same locations for the color stripe, but it is more difficult to see with my colors.
Old 8/9/10, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This spare is from a 2007 GT and YES it is smaller o/a dia. then the road tires on my '11 but it would have been the same situation on the 2007 GT it came from ... or any 2005-10 GT for that matter as they ALL had this same size spare and same size road tires (w/ opt. 18") or similar dia. w/ std. 17".

Name me one car manufacturer that supplies a "temporary spare" that is the same dia. as the full size road wheels/tires. Charlie found an 18" Maruader spare that is REAL close to his Bullitt road tire dia. and just barely fits in the spare well. Only a couple model year run and not many built overall, I certainly did not expect one of these to drop in my lap.

If I were not concered with extra wear on my T-Lok durring possible spare usage, I would have thrown the 16" spare from my Dodge van in the trunk and called it a day ... as it probably would fit over the rear brakes.

But since I AM CONCERED with T-Lok wear I purposely found a 17" GT spare that would fit up front. If I get a flat in the rear, I'd 1st put the spare up front, then swap the rear flat out with the front tire. Thankfully the Mustang still has same size tires front & back ... A/S P-Zero's are even non-directional so we can still do 4 corner rotation as well.

The whole idea though is to avoid flat tires ... looking at them when filling up with gas, checking pressure regularly helps as does having TPMS. But having a useable spare in the trunk is the Murphy's Law way to avoid getting one !!

In the past 20 years and over a 1/2 million miles I've had only ONE flat out on the road where I needed to use a spare. It was 11:00 at night in February, it was snowing, and tire was beyond repair via inflator, slime, or plug kit. If this were the 2011 and all I had was this silly inflator, I'd have had to call for roadside assistance and wait for who know how long.

I'm keeping the inflator in the car as well as a plug kit, so I've got all the bases covered.

Doug
Old 8/9/10, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Can you check your math on how much weight they saved by not supplying a spare again? :P
Old 8/9/10, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Can you check your math on how much weight they saved by not supplying a spare again? :P
Math looks fine to me ...

28.66 + 5.30 = 33.96 lbs. - 5.46 lbs. = 28.50 lbs. difference.

Doug
Old 8/9/10, 08:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

I don't understand why this is a problem.
Pull the tire off the rear.
Put on spare loosely.
Put flat on front loosely.
Remove spare and put front tire on back.
Put spare on front.
No problem.
Last time I changed a flat, doing just one tire was 15 mins. or less.
Another wheel or so should still be under a half hour.
That being said; If I'm only going another few miles I wouldn't bother with the drill.
Old 8/9/10, 10:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Math looks fine to me ...

28.66 + 5.30 = 33.96 lbs. - 5.46 lbs. = 28.50 lbs. difference.

Doug
Gotcha. You subtracted the difference of the oem pump and crap. I missed that part.
Old 8/10/10, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I didn't realize that the 2010+ Mustangs don't come with a spare. Or is that just on the 2011s? Anyway, a pump doesn't do much good if your tire is shredded or you have a hole in the sidewall.
Old 8/10/10, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Where do you get this notion that an undersized tire will tear up the limited slip? Differentials are called that because they allow a differential in rotational speed between sides so that the outer wheel in a turn can travel farther than the inner wheel. As long as the difference between the two wheels is not extreme, the limited slip doesn't even come into play. I have never seen any car from any manufacturer that has a temporary spare the same diameter as the original wheel - when they do it's called a "full size" spare.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons that manufacturers say to use a temporary spare for no more than 50 miles at 50 miles per hour but there is no reason to get paranoid about possibly destroying your rear end simply by using a temporary spare tire.
Old 8/10/10, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

This is one addition I definitely want to do! My CTS-V (bought used) came with non-run flat tires and no spare. I bought the full size wheel/tire and took the tub out of the trunk and put the spare and new jack kit back there. Never needed it but always felt comfortable knowing I could change a flat quickly and be on my way.

EDIT: Just ordered both from eBay. Tire: $75 + $20 S/H. Jack kit: $50 + $11 S/H. Probably from the same seller: greenleafprime.

Thanks for the tip, Doug!

Last edited by corvettedreamin; 8/10/10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the tub in the trunk of a 2011 V6 big enough to store a full-size spare? The photos above would suggest that it isn't but no harm asking...
Old 8/10/10, 01:25 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Where do you get this notion that an undersized tire will tear up the limited slip? Differentials are called that because they allow a differential in rotational speed between sides so that the outer wheel in a turn can travel farther than the inner wheel. As long as the difference between the two wheels is not extreme, the limited slip doesn't even come into play. I have never seen any car from any manufacturer that has a temporary spare the same diameter as the original wheel - when they do it's called a "full size" spare.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons that manufacturers say to use a temporary spare for no more than 50 miles at 50 miles per hour but there is no reason to get paranoid about possibly destroying your rear end simply by using a temporary spare tire.
Ever drive a 4x4 in a circle on dry pavement?

While the clutch in a limited slip/Trac-Lok can handle turns (a small portion of driving miles) to have that clutch working constantly as one drives 30-60-90+ miles back home or to a tire shop/Dealer is putting unnecessary wear and heat on your diff.

Also important even with slightly different size tires is to turn OFF traction control so the ABS isn't going nuts.

Saved notes:

Finally, this is an opportune time to share the admonishment from an engineer at Maxxis International, who stated in an email to me:
"Keep in mind that if you use any spare tire with a diameter that fits your tolerance (27.2 +/- 0.25), it may not be suitable when used on the mustang (Ride & handling characteristics/load carry capacity). Each spare tire is specifically designed for the vehicle that it will be used on."
I was told by a local Ford service manager that I would need to be very careful in selecting a space-saver spare because I could cause damage to the rear end of the car (i.e., the drive train) if there is a difference in diameter between the spare and the other tire back there. He recommended that, if you have to drive more than a short distance and you have a flat on a rear tire, you should swap the space-saver spare for a front tire, and replace the flat with a front tire. Clearly, that doubles the work if you get a flat. Not the end of the world, but not happy news.

Today, I spoke with the senior mechanic at another, very large Ford dealership, and he told me that they are advised to avoid having two tires on the back end of the car if there is as a 1/4 inch or more difference in diameter between two tires.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/10/10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I have no intention of putting this on the back of the car. It's not a spare tire it's a spare front tire.

I'll do the work of moving one front to back if I have to. Beats waiting 2 hours for roadside assistance or AAA.

Quick Reply: Got a Temp Spare & Jack Kit for my V6 !!