Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dyno Time - Guess the Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/14, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Mikey... that was the neat thing about JDM. Essentially, I or the dyno shop datalogs, then I send the info back to JDM and they tweak if necessary. And from my understanding, for that specific set of mods they are writing the tune for, they will tweak however many times necessary to "get it right". Ideally of course, if they're tunes are "spot on" or close to it, 1 revision should do it.

Some data information I can't do on my own... has to be on a dyno. So I won't truly know until I datalog at a dyno.

Did VMP request to the OP that he datalog? hmmm
i did and sent some to him and he said things looked "good" though i have to re-data log because i chose some wrong values for one of the items to log.
Old 6/26/14, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Well crap, my guess is 0/0.
That really sucks and I getting ready to go back over my datalogs. What did your measured afr run, should average mid .80's.
Keep us posted and I'm sure your motor is fine.
Old 6/26/14, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey... that was the neat thing about JDM. Essentially, I or the dyno shop datalogs, then I send the info back to JDM and they tweak if necessary. And from my understanding, for that specific set of mods they are writing the tune for, they will tweak however many times necessary to "get it right". Ideally of course, if they're tunes are "spot on" or close to it, 1 revision should do it. Some data information I can't do on my own... has to be on a dyno. So I won't truly know until I datalog at a dyno. Did VMP request to the OP that he datalog? hmmm
If you have an SCT X3 or X4 and LiveLink, you can datalog more parameters than you would ever need... I was monitoring 19 different parameters, but tuners are basically adjusting fuel trim and timing... I would not want a "performance" tune that only needs one revision... Either the first revision has too much timing or not enough fuel, or maybe a combo of both OR the tuner has developed a very safe tune they know they don't have to adjust much. The latter is most likely the case, but then you're leaving performance on the table. At that point, your tune is just there to accommodate the mods you've added so you don't grenade the motor, instead of trying to safely make the most of them.
Old 6/26/14, 01:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey
If you have an SCT X3 or X4 and LiveLink, you can datalog more parameters than you would ever need... I was monitoring 19 different parameters, but tuners are basically adjusting fuel trim and timing... I would not want a "performance" tune that only needs one revision... Either the first revision has too much timing or not enough fuel, or maybe a combo of both OR the tuner has developed a very safe tune they know they don't have to adjust much. The latter is most likely the case, but then you're leaving performance on the table. At that point, your tune is just there to accommodate the mods you've added so you don't grenade the motor, instead of trying to safely make the most of them.
i was dataing logging through the sct x3 into a laptop. He gave me a list of param's to datalog. I should of just done them all lol.
Old 6/26/14, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
What did your measured afr run, should average mid .80's.
^^^This is your fuel trim, not AFR. Your number is correct for fuel trim though, your AFR should be ~11.5-12 at WOT... It could be leaned out more than that but I wouldn't.
Old 6/26/14, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^^This is your fuel trim, not AFR. Your number is correct for fuel trim though, your AFR should be ~11.5-12 at WOT... It could be leaned out more than that but I wouldn't.
Yes but the PID that vmp uses is called measured afr for that.
Old 6/26/14, 02:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Mikey, as for one revision, I can't speak for JDM, but from my talk with them, they've done my exact set up before for other mustangs with everything the same, so I assume they have a "similar to" they can do, and go from there. From my recollection, the only difference is that I am running a 3.6 instead of a 3.8 pulley (theirs). So that's why I think, they are thinking 1 revision. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Heck Gabe's was no revision I think.

Gabe, if you're there can you chime in?

Originally Posted by rmurer
i was dataing logging through the sct x3 into a laptop. He gave me a list of param's to datalog. I should of just done them all lol.
I will do this too. Pretty easy to set everything up? Just plug, play, done?
Old 6/26/14, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes but the PID that vmp uses is called measured afr for that.
I think my PID's were labeled AFR bank 1 and AFR bank 2 but the numbers were fuel trim instead of a true air to fuel ratio... I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just clarifying since the OP provided an AFR.
Old 6/26/14, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mikey, as for one revision, I can't speak for JDM, but from my talk with them, they've done my exact set up before for other mustangs with everything the same, so I assume they have a "similar to" they can do, and go from there. From my recollection, the only difference is that I am running a 3.6 instead of a 3.8 pulley (theirs). So that's why I think, they are thinking 1 revision. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Heck Gabe's was no revision I think. Gabe, if you're there can you chime in?
Oh I know it can be done like that, with few to no revisions, I just personally wouldn't go with a tuner that does it that way... I would prefer not to assume things will work exactly as they did the last time a tune was written for a car with the same mods... There are just too many variables IMO... plus there's probably not another Coyote motor with my exact mods out there. For a complete kit it's probably fine, just leaving some more safe power on the table.
Old 6/26/14, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think my PID's were labeled AFR bank 1 and AFR bank 2 but the numbers were fuel trim instead of a true air to fuel ratio... I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just clarifying since the OP provided an AFR.
Not taking it that way, just curious on his reading since mine ran .87 at wot.
I believe the measured afr pid is really lambda.
Old 6/26/14, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Mikey, as for one revision, I can't speak for JDM, but from my talk with them, they've done my exact set up before for other mustangs with everything the same, so I assume they have a "similar to" they can do, and go from there. From my recollection, the only difference is that I am running a 3.6 instead of a 3.8 pulley (theirs). So that's why I think, they are thinking 1 revision. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Heck Gabe's was no revision I think.

Gabe, if you're there can you chime in?
The tune I got from JDM was spot-on from the get-go.
The only revision I've needed was when I went to the smaller pulley.
They sent me another tune with a bit of timing taken out of it, since "we prefer to make power with boost, not timing" because of the high compression design of the engine.

I've been extremely happy with my JDM tune, and the whole experience of dealing with Nick @ JDM
Old 6/27/14, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not taking it that way, just curious on his reading since mine ran .87 at wot.
I believe the measured afr pid is really lambda.
Lambda is referring to the difference (delta) between an A/F ratio that gives most heat (Referred to as the Stoichiometric ratio) and the one that is actually being delivered to the engine as a decimal number rather than a ratio. Example: Stoich for most pump gas is around 14.7:1 A/F (14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel). To calculate Lambda the stoich is considered “1”. Then intuitively A/F mixtures richer than stoich have Lambda’s less than one and those leaner, greater than one. In this case 14.7 X .87 = 12.79 A/F actually being delivered to the engine.

I’m not trying to be a Mr. Smartypants but a lot of people don’t understand this stuff and come to sites like this to learn. Giving them the background is often very helpful!

Have a good one,
John
Old 6/27/14, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
Lambda is referring to the difference (delta) between an A/F ratio that gives most heat (Referred to as the Stoichiometric ratio) and the one that is actually being delivered to the engine as a decimal number rather than a ratio. Example: Stoich for most pump gas is around 14.7:1 A/F (14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel). To calculate Lambda the stoich is considered “1”. Then intuitively A/F mixtures richer than stoich have Lambda’s less than one and those leaner, greater than one. In this case 14.7 X .87 = 12.79 A/F actually being delivered to the engine. I’m not trying to be a Mr. Smartypants but a lot of people don’t understand this stuff and come to sites like this to learn. Giving them the background is often very helpful! Have a good one, John
Thanks for sharing!
Old 6/27/14, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

From VMP,
Air/Fuel.**If you read Internet forums you'll get dozens of different opinions on what it optimal, dangerous or will wash down your cylinder walls. For simplicity's sake, let's look at one car and the real story. *

2011 and new Mustangs feature a PCM that uses two wideband O2 sensors to accurately measure and correct Lambda under all operating conditions. *Enthusiasts know this value as "Air to fuel ratio". *During "dynoing" sessions a second O2 sensor may be placed in the tailpipe to measure A/F. *WITHOUT PROPER CALIBRATION THIS SENSOR WILL NOT READ ACCURATELY NOR THE SAME AS THE WIDEBAND 02s BUILT IN TO THE CAR. *This discrepancy will make the tune*appear*to be "lean" when it's not actually so.*

Around 2010 Ford began calibrating the factory systems for E10 (10% ethanol) fuel. *The Stoichiometric value for E10 is lower than that of ethanol -free gasoline. *E10's value is 14.08 whereas pure premium grade gasoline is 14.64. *So, the factory computer systems use 14.08 as their target and any wideband measurements reflect this. *If you measure A/F with an aftermarket wideband and do not calibrate it for E10 the values will be skewed to look leaner than actual. *
Old 6/27/14, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

From VMP,
Air/Fuel.**If you read Internet forums you'll get dozens of different opinions on what it optimal, dangerous or will wash down your cylinder walls. For simplicity's sake, let's look at one car and the real story. *

2011 and new Mustangs feature a PCM that uses two wideband O2 sensors to accurately measure and correct Lambda under all operating conditions. *Enthusiasts know this value as "Air to fuel ratio". *During "dynoing" sessions a second O2 sensor may be placed in the tailpipe to measure A/F. *WITHOUT PROPER CALIBRATION THIS SENSOR WILL NOT READ ACCURATELY NOR THE SAME AS THE WIDEBAND 02s BUILT IN TO THE CAR. *This discrepancy will make the tune*appear*to be "lean" when it's not actually so.*

Around 2010 Ford began calibrating the factory systems for E10 (10% ethanol) fuel. *The Stoichiometric value for E10 is lower than that of ethanol -free gasoline. *E10's value is 14.08 whereas pure premium grade gasoline is 14.64. *So, the factory computer systems use 14.08 as their target and any wideband measurements reflect this. *If you measure A/F with an aftermarket wideband and do not calibrate it for E10 the values will be skewed to look leaner than actual. *
Good stuff man!
Old 6/27/14, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

More good fuel info here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
alt-fuel-properties.pdf (36.1 KB, 319 views)