Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does the V6 Mustang Deserve Respect? This 'One Take' Owner Thinks So

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/15, 02:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Wait, so the V8 model is faster then the V6? WHO KNEW?

In other news, other cars are faster then the Mustang GT.

The list is quite a bit less than the V-6 Mustang though and I don't have to worry about soccer moms in V6 Camry's smoking me
Old 9/20/15, 02:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't have to worry about anything because I really don't give a **** about what cars are faster than me.

Ya'll have issues if worrying about a camry (or whatever) being faster is a legitimate concern.
Old 9/20/15, 06:07 AM
GT Member

I just like seeing the V6 crowd get riled up
Old 9/20/15, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
If you've ever driven a really tight twisty road in something with less power than a GT you would know what a blast it can be using your driving skill to wring every last bit of performance out of the car. There is a stretch of road (the beginnings of Hwy 1) that runs from U.S. 101 just north of Leggett, CA west to the coast before turning south. It is one of those roads and I've driven it in a '98 Jaguar XK8 convertible, a '91 four cylinder Morgan (with less than 100HP), a 2007 Honda S2000 and my '14 V6 Mustang. Every one of the cars was different and every one was a hoot. The speed limit is 50 but you can almost never get going that fast.
I have and thought it was excellent at the time. Then I got in my Boss and holy schnikes did I realize how much the suspension on the V6 sucks. Tons of body roll, understeer, and numb feeling in the steering. The power was fairly decent, enough to give you some fun out of the corners and in straights but for everything the V6 was, the Boss is that x20. I should preface this by saying I wanst 100% impressed with the 5.0 when I took it for a test drive before my Boss. The car stays flat through the corner (commented on many times about that by people behind me), not much understeer, gobs of power when you need it, can cause the rear end to slide through the corner with ease, great brakes, grip for days even though I don't have the tropheo R's any more. It just oozes confidence through every turn, begs to be pushed harder and it doesn't seem to be happy unless you are pushing it.

I would never try and wring every last bit of performance out of a car on the road though. I had some guy in a GT put on some springs and a front sway bar tell me how much better the car is than the Boss suspension now and tried to prove it to me by going as fast as he could up the goat trail on Bear Mt., I couldn't help but think through every turn that this ***** bout to fly off the mountain! After he almost got squished by a truck coming around a blind turn he sorta cooled his jets.

I don't think anyone has to justify a V6 over the GT, we all know the reasons why people get them *cough* they're girls *cough* just kidding . It is a great car for what it is and can provide a great platform to begin with for autocross, or some fun on road courses and they make competent DD's. I think a lot of us may have started with a V6 and maybe decided a GT would be nice to have and as a result we have all heard the friendly ribbing we all got when we owned V6's. But we have to give it back, it's sort of tradition. Although you don't get that V8 sound which is an amazing plus with the GT regardless of what is faster and BTW I have seen V6'a with a good driver passing GT's on a track
Old 9/20/15, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Since the post2010 v6 is as powerful as the old v8 mustang I think it's a really well balanced car especially for the money, more than adequate power. The post 2010 gt, at 400 plus hp, is arguably over-powered. I think my 2012 gt is somewhat squirrelly because of that although I do love the car. Of course, many people think that you simply can't have too much power and I have to respectfully disagree. The v6 mustang is an intelligent choice to me.
Old 9/20/15, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by whowasthat
i love how you put that. likes there is 10 models to pick from.
i got my 2014 v6 for $25000 with 6000KMs, i could of got a 2014 V8 in a nice blue for $35000. for a car that is the same and only slightly faster, it wasn't worth it.
Looking at last few years of production you have the V6, V6 PP, Eco, GT, GT TP, Boss, Boss LS, GT 350, GT350R, GT500 .... I rest my case.

My Track Pack was $32000. I got it with 2 intentions:
1) To put a smile on my face every time I drive to work
2) As a weekend road course warrior

I've seen 1 V6 at the track. He dumped over $5k in upgrades into his car (suspension, intake + tune, big brakes) and his lap times are STILL slower than any 11+ GT. There is only one track here in Michigan where he could be on par with V8s due to the curvy nature of the track. But at every other track in 250 mile radius he still can't compete.

So is the V6 Mustang respectable on it's own? Yes. 305hp, decent suspension, 5.2s 0-60. Nice. They compete with Subaru ,BRZs, BMW 3 series, Nisan 350z and the likes.

But just one or two notches up in the Mustang family you have similar or better handling, with better braking and 0-60 in the 4.2s range. Plus the V8s advantage grows as you go faster.

GT TPs compete with BMW M3s, Camaros SS, Challenger Scat Packs and the like. So different animal altogether.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/20/15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 9/20/15, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
ford20 I'm surprised at your comments about the handling of the V6 you drove. I have not experienced that with mine. No idea what the difference might be and mine is a stock '14 convertible. As to the sound of the V8 - I love it but in small doses. I've owned cars that had more aggressive sound and found that it got really tiring for me on longer drives. That was one of the reasons I bought a V6 - it is really quiet unless you stand on it
Old 9/20/15, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
This is coming from the V6 that I owned. I never even noticed those things while I drove it to be honest, I thought it handled pretty good. Until I drove the Boss and well that's when all of the shortcomings became glaringly obvious. Then having driven another V6 3.7L I noticed it again.
Old 9/20/15, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

I'm sure there are some things done to the suspension on the Boss that aren't found in lesser models, but I wonder if Ford made some upgrades to the V6 in more recent years. I moved from a Honda S2000 to my Mustang and it felt to me as if the Stang handled pretty well for its size and weight. It certainly keeps up with S2000s in the twisties and I doubt that I am so much better a driver that I compensate for shortcomings.
Old 9/20/15, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
I get to giggle twice. Once when I am ripping through the twisties in my V6 Mustang and a second time when I think about how much more it cost TheReaper and Cdvision for purchase and ongoing operation of their GTs.
If cost was a problem I would be driving a V6. I do enjoy the roar of the V8 as well as the neck breaking acceleration.
Old 9/20/15, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

If cost was a "problem" I would be driving a Hyundai, but being a good Scot I only spend as much as makes sense to me. We each have our own perception of value. Thank God we don't all like the same things. I suspect most Mustang owners really enjoy their cars, whatever model or vintage they are, and that's good.
Old 9/21/15, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by scott9050
The list is quite a bit less than the V-6 Mustang though and I don't have to worry about soccer moms in V6 Camry's smoking me
Ironically, at the time I purchased mine new, my Mustang was $6000 cheaper than a V-6 Camry (after incentives, naturally). And mine's got options out the wazoo.

Though in terms of acceleration, I suppose I'll have to "settle" with a 0-60 of 5.4 seconds. lol.
Old 9/21/15, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I didn't read all the posts up until this point, but I didn't have to. These threads are always the same.

I own a 2014 GT, and I fall into my own little niche, in that I wish I could have purchased a brand new 300hp V8 Mustang. I live in the SF Bay Area. My 450hp (high flow cater catback and AED tune) car is absolutely useless around here. I have a baby and my wife works opposite schedule from me. I have no time to take it to the track. I only get to enjoy it through about 4k rpm in 1st and about 2.5k rpm in second. By then I have to shut it down. I absolutely love my exhaust note and did not want to go back to another V6 (my first Mustang was a 3.8 auto, hence my screen name here).

I wish we could go back to smaller, lighter cars. The hp wars and safety requirements have made it so that will never happen. If I could find a 2010 GT with no miles, spec'd exactly like my 2014, I would possibly trade straight up (down?). A 315hp V8 would be all I would need, though I would probably swap in a TR6060 just to have a 6th gear.
Old 9/21/15, 10:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I didn't read all the posts up until this point, but I didn't have to. These threads are always the same.

I own a 2014 GT, and I fall into my own little niche, in that I wish I could have purchased a brand new 300hp V8 Mustang. I live in the SF Bay Area. My 450hp (high flow cater catback and AED tune) car is absolutely useless around here. I have a baby and my wife works opposite schedule from me. I have no time to take it to the track. I only get to enjoy it through about 4k rpm in 1st and about 2.5k rpm in second. By then I have to shut it down. I absolutely love my exhaust note and did not want to go back to another V6 (my first Mustang was a 3.8 auto, hence my screen name here).

I wish we could go back to smaller, lighter cars. The hp wars and safety requirements have made it so that will never happen. If I could find a 2010 GT with no miles, spec'd exactly like my 2014, I would possibly trade straight up (down?). A 315hp V8 would be all I would need, though I would probably swap in a TR6060 just to have a 6th gear.
I agree. For a daily driver anything above 350 HP gets useless quick. Yeah it's fun from time to time but it can be bothersome after a while. For a weekend car? Sure, more power the better.

I'm really not sure I'd have bought a GT if I could have afforded it. I've driven a 500hp car enough to know that it's just not fun to drive in traffic and that I never even came close to using all that power.

Not that I'm against others doing it... Ya'll can drive a top fuel dragster every day for all I care... I just can't stand the hate being thrown around the community.
Old 9/21/15, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Completely agree Joey. I've always valued your opinion around here, and I'll never talk down the sixers. I used to have one myself and the current V6 is more than respectable. I just prefer the V8 noise, otherwise the V6 was the better choice for me back when I ordered my car.
Old 9/22/15, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Would I have loved a V8? Sure! I just graduated college and started my first job in my field so $28k for a new base GT was just a little too much for me. I settled for a base v6 I got for $18k. It has the power I need for a DD and it is really fun in the twisties. It is a blast on the highway until a 5.0 or SS shows up but how fast can you legally go on the highway? On the drag strip I am beating a decent amount of V8s and that's mostly due to traction. They don't want to let a v6 beat them and they put too much throttle down at the start so they just spin. Same with the GT500. That is them on street tires, drag radials and I would stand no chance. For 18k brand new and I put maybe $4k in various mods, I am having a fun car that I wouldn't trade in for a GT any day because I fell in love.

The v6 mustang is just as much a mustang as the GT. The GT is getting to 60 1sec faster but it comes at a cost that I couldn't justify. One day I might own a v8 because they are great cars but the v6 has the same aggressive look and still races around like a mustang. Even when I own a GT one day I'll never degrade the V6 owners because they chose a great car. Fully modified My car would have cost the same as a base GT if not a little more but it would be my car and handle perfectly for me.
Old 9/22/15, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Agreed Anthony. You also auto cross your car a lot, which I wish I had time for. Your car has come a long way and I'm glad I've been a part of it, even in the slightest way haha
Old 9/22/15, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I agree. For a daily driver anything above 350 HP gets useless quick. Yeah it's fun from time to time but it can be bothersome after a while. For a weekend car? Sure, more power the better.

I'm really not sure I'd have bought a GT if I could have afforded it. I've driven a 500hp car enough to know that it's just not fun to drive in traffic and that I never even came close to using all that power.

Not that I'm against others doing it... Ya'll can drive a top fuel dragster every day for all I care... I just can't stand the hate being thrown around the community.
My 90 LX was being built to be a race car, it had 414 to the wheels when I got rid of it 10 years ago and was harsh on the street, had no heater box or AC and was generally unrefined. My current Mustang is polar opposite of that, enough so that I drive it even in the winter. I have only had one day where I could not drive it, a surprise 14 inch snow last year.
Name:  765679d4-deb1-4577-9193-428bb3a3854c_zpsf92a3936.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  86.7 KB
Old 9/23/15, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Agreed Anthony. You also auto cross your car a lot, which I wish I had time for. Your car has come a long way and I'm glad I've been a part of it, even in the slightest way haha
Haha thanks and unfortunately with the new house I haven't been able to Autocross my car lately. I still haven't been able to put that lower grill on that I still appreciate! It is so ridiculously hot here in Tampa that I don't even want to wash the car!

The point of Autocross does contribute to this thread though. The v6 Mustang is able to put down better times than the GT here when comparing stock for stock. Mostly because the v6 is lighter up front and the power isn't over bearing. I am sure a very experienced driver could manage the power of the GT but most over do it. I love that the v6 engine loves to rev and once I get time to get back into my car, I want to get it ready for Sebring. I am just stuck in that should I save my money for food or put it all into my car loop haha
Old 9/23/15, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Sterling is sitting better now with the wider and thicker tires in the back (275/30 to 295/35)

Mustang guys with their 5.0s, enjoy them. I love my car and it turns heads just as much which is fine by me

I love the Mustang community, even the v6 haters haha
Attached Thumbnails Does the V6 Mustang Deserve Respect? This 'One Take' Owner Thinks So-12017710_1706932132869443_8881081624463399877_o.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does the V6 Mustang Deserve Respect? This 'One Take' Owner Thinks So