Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Did They Just Kill the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/08, 10:23 PM
JGT
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was pretty funny. Someone posted this in the comments section of that article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=44116

It ends with:

"Overwhelmingly, staff opinion and reader views indicate that Ford should have stuck with the old car's body styling, because the other refinements made to the Mustang for 1999 are much appreciated. Had the car remained its beautiful self, the fate of the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird may have been sealed: extinction after 2002. However, with this angular, and according to many, butt-ugly, new look, Ford has essentially provided General Motors with the best reason yet to keep the Camaro and Firebird alive."

And these are also the same people who did a comparison test of a Shelby GT (essentially an overpriced GT with a few minor performance mods) to the WRX STI and then ripped on the Shelby because the STI beat it in almost every category. They didn't mention the fact that a regular GT will give you 95% of the performance of the Shelby for over $10,000 less (and we all know a CAI and some handling mods don't cost that much).

Last edited by JGT; 12/2/08 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12/2/08, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sscobra
Those are "V6" bumpers with cutouts for exhaust. Let's see one with a gt bumper on it.

Really? I didn't know there was a difference......
Old 12/2/08, 10:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67

They Changed Every Single Panel Save the Roof, How Much More Could They Change Without spending Millions of Extra Dollars to Engineer an Entirely New Car? There is a New 5.0 Engine Right Over The Horizon.

Oh and You Nailed it Right On The Head About Those Fish and Their BIGGER TEETH!

There Is So Much Pessimism in the World Today, not that I don't Understand it. There hasn't Been Much to be Optimistic About these Last 8 Years, This Country has been Run In The Ground, and Made the Laughing Stock of the World.
I think the Z isn't too happy bout the refresh...look at that expression on it's face... its like a Manga style sad face.
Old 12/2/08, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
actually on second thought the new Z is surprisingly familiar looking...

ehh?
Old 12/2/08, 11:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I Forgot about the 99's. I kinda know where some of you guys are coming from with the 2010's refresh, because when I saw the 99's for the first time I thought WTF? I thought ford Completely Screwed Up with that Refresh. I remember telling my Mom and Dad that Ford Ruined the Mustang! I hated Everything about it. I didn't start liking the New Edge Mustangs until Ford started putting all the Fake Scoops on the GT's, and I'm not big on Non Functional Scoops.

The other day I saw a 99-04 V6 and I just thought to myself Ughhh, what were they thinking? But then I'll see a GT or Mach 1 and Think That's Not Too Bad, Until I see an 05-09. But I think they got the 2010 just right, but that's just me.
Old 12/3/08, 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

As I Posted Elsewhere, After seeing these 2010 Mules, We All Know What that Diaper is Full Of Now! I'd rather have a little Modesty than have My B*LLS Hanging Out!

Those are "V6" bumpers with cutouts for exhaust. Let's see one with a gt bumper on it.
Old 12/3/08, 01:19 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

In terms of aesthetics, I guess I fail to see what makes the 370Z so much more special than the 2010 Mustang.
Old 12/3/08, 01:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry Guy's, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, the bottom of it.

I'll Keep my Political Beliefs Out Of It.
Please do, because the ones who run the country into the ground now run Congress!
Old 12/3/08, 01:26 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Sorry Guy's, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, the bottom of it.

I'll Keep my Political Beliefs Out Of It.
Thank you. I get enough doom-and-gloom just turning on the TV. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy: tell people it's bad for long enough -- guess what -- it will become bad.
Old 12/3/08, 01:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
Why would anyone expect that much out of a mid-cycle refresh?
Perhaps it's just me, but I think that the 4th gen refresh was more dramatic as far as outward appearance goes. I understand that like in 99' Ford changed every body panel besides the roof. I just think that the car looks pretty much the same. The carryover engines just adds insult to injury. At least in 99' we got a huge power bump.

I'm not trying to dog the car, its nice but I have no desire to buy one. I loved the 87-93 cars then when I saw the 94' I loved it, the same thing happened in 99' and 05'. This time I just don't have that gotta have it sensation like I have the last 3 or 4 models.
Old 12/3/08, 01:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
In terms of aesthetics, I guess I fail to see what makes the 370Z so much more special than the 2010 Mustang.

Well I think most people are looking at the overall improvements that they made over the last gen car. It has gotten a huge boost in power, lost about 200lbs, much better interior and is pretty much all new suspension.

I don't see what all the fuss is about either, the first gen Z was 8 years old!

I'm guessing the nest Mustang will be just as revolutionary and less evolutionary from the 10' model. We already have seen the improved interior. I'm hoping the next gen car will lose weight like the Nissan and then give us the IRS and upgraded engines.
Old 12/3/08, 01:39 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Well I think most people are looking at the overall improvements that they made over the last gen car. It has gotten a huge boost in power, lost about 200lbs, much better interior and is pretty much all new suspension.

I don't see what all the fuss is about either, the first gen Z was 8 years old!

I'm guessing the nest Mustang will be just as revolutionary and less evolutionary from the 10' model. We already have seen the improved interior. I'm hoping the next gen car will lose weight like the Nissan and then give us the IRS and upgraded engines.
You're right. Man, those 2011's can't get here quick enough.
Old 12/3/08, 03:28 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
That's what I'm Thinking. They Changed Every Piece of Visible Sheet Metal Except the Roof Panel. The last time Ford made this many Changes to a Mid-Cycle Refresh was the 86 to 87 Thunderbird's. This isn't like the 60's or 70's even, where they bring out a Completely New Car every 4 Years.
As did the SN-95 mid-cycle refresh, in 98 to 99 !
Old 12/3/08, 01:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MBK
typical edmunds (and to a greater extent typical automobile press); the 350z stayed the same from 2000 to current but they simply gloss over that point, not suprised
The 350Z came out in 2002 as a 2003 model.
Old 12/3/08, 02:44 PM

As a point of comparison, I think Nissan was more aggressive/extensive in their refresh of the Z car than Ford with the Stang, a level of redo which I wish Ford had undertaken, especially given the drastically tightened competitive arena it now finds itself in.

Whereas the '10 Stang carries over with an essentially unchanged Bullitt platform/drivetrain for the GT, the Z car was trimmed a few inches in wheelbase, completely new body-roof included, new (to it) engine, new and upgraded control arm front suspension, among many other things. Put the '10 Stang on a lift and look at it from below and it would be indistinguishable from the current car. Pretty much the same with the engine bay save the minor inclusion of the CA intake.

The '10 will create a minor flurry of interest, primarily amongst existing Stang fanboys needing to refresh their ride, but nothing like the riot of interest around the '05 and that interest will quickly fade and be dissipitated among its many new competitors. The 5.0 next year will create another little bump of interest, but that too will be minor outside the existing fan base.
Old 12/3/08, 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
As a point of comparison, I think Nissan was more aggressive/extensive in their refresh of the Z car than Ford with the Stang, a level of redo which I wish Ford had undertaken, especially given the drastically tightened competitive arena it now finds itself in.

Whereas the '10 Stang carries over with an essentially unchanged Bullitt platform/drivetrain for the GT, the Z car was trimmed a few inches in wheelbase, completely new body-roof included, new (to it) engine, new and upgraded control arm front suspension, among many other things. Put the '10 Stang on a lift and look at it from below and it would be indistinguishable from the current car. Pretty much the same with the engine bay save the minor inclusion of the CA intake.

The '10 will create a minor flurry of interest, primarily amongst existing Stang fanboys needing to refresh their ride, but nothing like the riot of interest around the '05 and that interest will quickly fade and be dissipitated among its many new competitors. The 5.0 next year will create another little bump of interest, but that too will be minor outside the existing fan base.
Don't get me wrong I have actually been a harsh critic of the 2010 Mustang, but in it's defense it is as others mentioned a refresh. The 350Z was 8 years old it was time for an all new model. I agree that Ford dropped the ball by offering old engines in a new car. I'm sure the next full restyle will follow many and perhaps more trends that we see in the new Nissan (less weight, lower, wider, +hp)
Old 12/3/08, 06:33 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Typical Edmunds hit job on Ford. Glosses over the changes. Completely forgets to mention the upcoming power upgrades or the existant chassis refinement. Blames Alan Mulally for Ford's problems (lol, wut?). "Calls Ford out" on stuff that the rest of the industry does with impunity. This is why I read Autoblog.
Exactly.

What a STUPID article. It's a REFRESH, dudes...not supposed to be an all-new car. And, in fact, as Mustang refreshes go, I'd say this is one of the more significant ones in recent memory.

Moreover, "Mr. Friggin Anonymous" in that article doesn't level ONE single serious charge against the Mustang other than the fact it's not an "all new" design. Idiot.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 12/3/08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12/3/08, 06:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Really. Well the world can suck my ****. I don't give a flying crap what the world thinks and what that has to do with people disliking a freakin' car.
I don't want to suck your ****. But thanks for offering.

And I already know you don't give a crap what I think.

Or do I...?

Old 12/3/08, 06:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I don't want to suck your ****. But thanks for offering.

And I already know you don't give a crap what I think.

Or do I...?

Of course I care about what you think of me Hollywood. We're mates right.

And for the record, so I don't get in trouble for bypassing language filters,

**** = toes

So the world can suck my toes, which while gross, is not a language violation.

And by the way I've already got a date to kiss the 2010's rear according to Shawn.

Old 12/3/08, 06:55 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Of course I care about what you think of me Hollywood. We're mates right.

And for the record, so I don't get in trouble for bypassing language filters,

**** = toes

So the world can suck my toes, which while gross, is not a language violation.

And by the way I've already got a date to kiss the 2010's rear according to Shawn.

Quick Reply: Did They Just Kill the Mustang?