2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Did They Just Kill the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/08, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did They Just Kill the Mustang?

A blog piece over on Edmund's Inside Line [http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...otopanel..2.*].

Not sure I would agree with quite all of it, but I do agree with a good bit of it and the general premises that the '10 Stang is a bit underwhelming. Perhaps that is the result of the present state of FoMoCo, but perhaps that argument is a bit circular in that the present bad state of the FoMoCo is the result of bad management decisions:

My point is that the disappointing Mustang is much more a result of Ford's present economic state and not the incompetence of its management team. Then again, Ford's present economic state is certainly a result of the incompetence of its management team, so....
I think the scale of the refresh should have been more along that of the 370Z's rather than the old wine in a newish bottle that is the '10 Stang. Anyhoo, given that the Stang ain't the only fish in the pond now and that those fresh new fish have much bigger teeth, I am not terribly sanguine about the Stang's promise in the near future.
Old 12/2/08, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Interesting...
Old 12/2/08, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Were there this many whiners when the car was refreshed in 1987? 1999? Geez.
Old 12/2/08, 08:32 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Well . . . I like the 2010 Mustang. Reminds me of the 'New Edge' refresh. And FMC current management team is still trying to recover from past mistakes before their respective time. The results may be on their shoulders, but the factors for said results were made prior . . . .
Old 12/2/08, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm. First of all, the author sounds surprised that the '10 Mustang is just "a midcycle refresh". Everyone who follows cars knew that it would be a refresh, not an all-new car.

Second, he goes on to say that Ford, instead, chose to "toss a few new body panels and a revised dashboard on the existing Mustang". Wrong again. The entire interior was redone, not just the dash. But the new body panels accusation is correct - and exactly what Ford said they would do!

Third, he rags on the carry-over powertrains. Yeah, most of us on these boards have done the same, but the reality is that that's what Ford has done on the Mustang for decades. While we would (most of us) have vastly preferred the 3.5/3.7 V6 and the new 5.0 V8 be available on the '10, we were more than adequately informed in advance that it just wasn't gonna happen.

Seems to me to be mostly a case of unrealistic expectations. Yes, Ford is skating with the '10 to a degree, but they always do. Nothing new. But if the new powertrains do come on-line for '11, as expected, I don't think the Mustang will suffer too badly for the one MY. It's so-called "competition" has advantages, yes, but they are largely offset by glaring disadvantages as well. Call it a push for '10, with the 'Stang coming back strong for '11.

At least that's MY hope...
Old 12/2/08, 08:39 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

typical edmunds (and to a greater extent typical automobile press); the 350z stayed the same from 2000 to current but they simply gloss over that point, not suprised

Last edited by MBK; 12/2/08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12/2/08, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not sure what some folks were expecting. This is a change to an existing model. Ford changed alot more than I thought they would - it could be said they changed about everything they could from a sheetmetal standpoint. I read somewhere where all of the exterior sheetmetal except the roof is different. Yes, the drivetrain is the same which we all knew.

There are some things from the pics I personally think look good like the front end, hips. I'm not crazy about the rearend nor the curved sides but that is just me. I prefer the more simple lines of the 05-09.
Old 12/2/08, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

And the roof panel was changed for '09 to accommodate the glass roof, so from '08 to '10 EVERY external panel has been changed.

Sounds a pretty extensive "refresh" to me. I would suggest that those who see little or no significant change from the '05 to '09 are just not looking closely enough.

Again, it was never meant to be an all-new car. But it is certainly a pretty extensive "refresh"!!
Old 12/2/08, 08:58 AM
Banned

New (more powerful) engines would have mostly silenced the critics, despite the styling. Of course that doesn't inlcude me, because engine power is easily upgraded, but styling is really not nearly as easily changed.
Old 12/2/08, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
New (more powerful) engines would have mostly silenced the critics, despite the styling. Of course that doesn't inlcude me, because engine power is easily upgraded, but styling is really not nearly as easily changed.

Then they would have ragged on the SRA.
Old 12/2/08, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

What the author is failing to realize or mentions in the article is that the new more modern powerplants are on the way starting next year. If the new powerplants weren't going to materialize then he has a solid point.

Dave
Old 12/2/08, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I think the scale of the refresh should have been more along that of the 370Z's

the Stang ain't the only fish in the pond now and that those fresh new fish have much bigger teeth

They Changed Every Single Panel Save the Roof, How Much More Could They Change Without spending Millions of Extra Dollars to Engineer an Entirely New Car? There is a New 5.0 Engine Right Over The Horizon.

Oh and You Nailed it Right On The Head About Those Fish and Their BIGGER TEETH!

There Is So Much Pessimism in the World Today, not that I don't Understand it. There hasn't Been Much to be Optimistic About these Last 8 Years, This Country has been Run In The Ground, and Made the Laughing Stock of the World.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/2/08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12/2/08, 10:18 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
There Is So Much Pessimism in the World Today, not that I don't Understand it. There hasn't Been Much to be Optimistic About these Last 8 Years, This Country has been Run In The Ground, and Made the Laughing Stock of the World.
Really. Well the world can suck my ****. I don't give a flying crap what the world thinks and what that has to do with people disliking a freakin' car.
Old 12/2/08, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

That front end on the new Z is a bigger mess than the tail of the new 'Stang, IMO. I don't want a bizarre, freakish car that in 5 years or less will be a laughingstock; I want something that 5, 10, 20+ years will still be regarded as timeless, classic styling.

The '05 'Stang I believe does that; jury's still out on the '10. May be to "modern" to ever earn "classic" status...
Old 12/2/08, 10:21 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

the front end of the new Z and the rear end of the Camaro are not good in my opinion. the mags will never write anything about them though... guess they love how they look, good for them.
Old 12/2/08, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Really. Well the world can suck my ****. I don't give a flying crap what the world thinks and what that has to do with people disliking a freakin' car.

It Has Everything to do with What People Think About A Freaking Car. Because it Sets a Mood and Tone for the ENTIRE NATION AS A WHOLE! We are in the Worst Economic State this Country has Been In Since the Great Depression! People are Committing Suicide because they have Lost Everything. We are Supposed to Be the Nation that The Rest of the World Looks To in Times Of Trouble. But We are So Mired In Our Problems there is Little To No OPTIMISM In this Country!

As for the First Statement You Made, I Can Hear It Ringing Resoundingly In My Ears in the Voice of the Same Man Responsible For this Pitiful State of DEPRESSION We Are In! None Other than Good Ol' Gee Dubbya Himself! Sounds Just Like Something He Would Say....

Sorry to Get So Political, but I Had to Use My First Amendment Rights and Voice My Opinion.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/2/08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12/2/08, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Come on guys. We have an entire forum for this crap.
Old 12/2/08, 10:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Typical Edmunds hit job on Ford. Glosses over the changes. Completely forgets to mention the upcoming power upgrades or the existant chassis refinement. Blames Alan Mulally for Ford's problems (lol, wut?). "Calls Ford out" on stuff that the rest of the industry does with impunity. This is why I read Autoblog.
Old 12/2/08, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, Edmunds is not particularly accurate in most cases. Another example of why one should always consult as many sources as possible before forming an opinion...
Old 12/2/08, 10:53 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Shawn,
By the way. The 2010 rear end sucks. Deal with it.

coop,
It's cool, I just couldn't let it get by. We are talking about a car here. But some people want to bring politics and the freakin' president into everything.

Quick Reply: Did They Just Kill the Mustang?