Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Borla issues, possibly switching to Corsas... Need input pls

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/14, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I heard great things about Kooks as well. I'm stoked about my new set.

Another Kooks lover? I need to hear a set in person. Quality was good, Steve? And yes, Dan at Hyper is awesome. Just got off the phone with him just now actually, with another question regarding something else.

The Borlas (all 4 sets) have to go back to Borla. They are paying for the shipping, etc... they need them back to do analysis plus the refund for me. Warranty and customer service is still great. I have nothing bad to say. The quality, however, is suspect.

Kyle... since you know me for almost 3 years now, you know I was one of the biggest shouters for Borla. I loved them. I was shocked at this happening. I figured it happened to Roush pieces... LOL

I guess Karma is a ****. haha...

But yeah, so I barely put 4.5k miles on her, never in rain, never in dirt, etc.... then the welds break through? hmmmmm

thanks sir. Video will be up this weekend if install goes well. I'm phobic now with fit issues. Ugh.

Thx Shiaz... it's crazy man, crazy.

Kid you not, 4 exhausts. You saw the pic of my front door right? None of those 3 there, fit right. Can you believe it?

ugh.
you seem like a real nice guy lol...My head would have blown after the 2nd set of exhaust.

Last edited by Boomer; 3/25/14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 03:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
As much as they cost, they shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Burton drives his car when God decides to give us perfect days. It's not as though it's a daily driver and might have gotten something on the underside that accelerated corrosion; he's right, what he took a picture of shouldn't have been there at all. That's workmanship.

Edit: Burton, I was going to post the before/after so it could help you make a decision one way or the other, but since you've already made that decision, I'll probably just post it in its own thread for the '10-'14 board. With it being a GT500 exhaust, I don't know how much it would have helped anyway. Regardless, good luck with the fitment on the Corsas.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 3/25/14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 04:37 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by iceD
lol? okay quality? sound like a hater bro.
Borla is the best tuned exhaust in the market. you can't beat it.
HA HAAAAAAAAAA Yeah,............I know. **rolls eyes**
I have Borla on my truck. Sounds killer. Quality,.........yeah. Not so much.
Old 3/25/14, 04:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Quality is top notch. They are made is a rather small shop in Statesville, North Carolina so there's less assembly line corner cutting. I think that makes the QC a little higher. They sound great. I just posted a nice HD vid in the exhaust thread.
Steve, that exhaust does look very well-made. It reminds me of an aftermarket exhaust I had for my Z. I'm really curious as to how it sounds. Where was that link again for me to read? I'm not sure where the exhaust section is.

Originally Posted by iceD
you seem like a real nice guy lol...My head would have blown after the 2nd set of exhaust.
It's been a very frustrating week to say the least. I've been trying to keep a level head throughout all of this. It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist in life as well… And my OCD comes out. I hold myself to the highest standards, as I expect to give my customers the very best that they deserve in my line of business. So I expect the same of people providing me service. Apparently, that is where things don't lineup.

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
As much as they cost, they shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Burton drives his car when God decides to give us perfect days. It's not as though it's a daily driver and might have gotten something on the underside that accelerated corrosion; he's right, what he took a picture of shouldn't have been there at all. That's workmanship. Edit: Burton, I was going to post the before/after so it could help you make a decision one way or the other, but since you've already made that decision, I'll probably just post it in its own thread for the '10-'14 board. With it being a GT500 exhaust, I don't know how much it would have helped anyway. Regardless, good luck with the fitment on the Corsas.
I agree. That's the crazy part about all this. There is only probably 3 to 4000 miles worth of sunny day driving on that exhaust. My car is never seen rain or snow or puddles for that matter but yet I see this corrosion happen on my exhaust. If something happens with fitment on my new corsas, I'm getting an exhaust shop to weld it. I don't care. I'm sick of running around like a chimpanzee getting all this to work As for your corsas, I wonder how the quad gt500s compare to the extremes?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/25/14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 04:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,224 Posts
It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist and life as well… And my OCD comes out. I hold myself to the highest standards, as I expect to give my customers the very best that they deserve in my line of business. So I expect the same of people providing me service. Apparently, that is where things don't lineup.
Sounds like me man. Good luck going forward Burton.
Old 3/25/14, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

As for your corsas, I wonder how the quad gt500s compare to the extremes?
Corsa themselves might be the best ones to answer that. I've listened to their sound clips and the GT500s sound like the GT extremes to me, at least more than the GT sports do.
Old 3/25/14, 05:17 PM
I Have No Life

Corsa themselves might be the best ones to answer that. I've listened to their sound clips and the GT500s sound like the GT extremes to me, at least more than the GT sports do.
I was meaning to call them about it soon... Also just wanted to talk to their tech line and get a feel for their products and services. I might do that tomorrow.

Have you received your set yet? If so, how's it look? I can't wait to see the craftsmanship and weld quality in person.
Old 3/25/14, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I was meaning to call them about it soon... Also just wanted to talk to their tech line and get a feel for their products and services. I might do that tomorrow.

Have you received your set yet? If so, how's it look? I can't wait to see the craftsmanship and weld quality in person.
Not yet but I'll take pictures when I get them in. They don't store the diamond black tipped ones, they make them when they're ordered (probably because of cost, not because they're any more special than the chrome-tipped ones). I'm supposed to get them in this week.
Old 3/25/14, 05:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Sounds like me man. Good luck going forward Burton.
Thanks tony. Should be shipping today and here thur or fri. You know I'll keep y'all posted
Old 3/25/14, 05:23 PM
I Have No Life

Not yet but I'll take pictures when I get them in. They don't store the diamond black tipped ones, they make them when they're ordered (probably because of cost, not because they're any more special than the chrome-tipped ones). I'm supposed to get them in this week.
Sounds like we will both be getting them in at the same time. Lol.

I was debating the black tips...but ultimately went with the SS tips. The black tips were beautiful.
Old 3/25/14, 05:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Of course Burton, now we expect to see a performance video, demonstrating the magnuson and the corsa's together under 1 car …a good drive by at least

Old 3/25/14, 06:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Of course Burton, now we expect to see a performance video, demonstrating the magnuson and the corsa's together under 1 car …a good drive by at least
Oh Darren... The thoughts in my head of what I'd do with a gopro and once the roads are clear and my setup is complete.... Dirty very dirty thoughts
Old 3/25/14, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds like we will both be getting them in at the same time. Lol.

I was debating the black tips...but ultimately went with the SS tips. The black tips were beautiful.
Give them a call, see what they say. I'm interested to hear it.
Old 3/25/14, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

I just got notification from jay at hyper that my corsas shipped last night and will arrive Thursday!!!

And to think I just ordered it last night at 6pm...

Big shout out to jay and dan at hypermotive. You guys epitomize excellent customer service. Thanks a lot guys. You rock.
Old 3/26/14, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks Sean. That's why I decided to switch to them. I'm looking forward to the new system. You'll see and hear about it on 4/12

Did you see the texts I sent you? Isn't that wild? Here's another... All my borlas in the last week or so, plus the one on my car. All had issues... Sigh....

Lol... Thanks sir, but I wish that was the issue/reason for all this. Here's a pic of what all started this a week or so ago. Check out this crack! That's quality of weld and SS quality, IMO.
Roh Roh…The crack is next to the weld in the heat affected zone and not through the weld. I’m guessing the break is located on the bottom of the tube on the entry into the muffler. If all this is true, the failure is likely stress corrosion cracking. Some grades of austenitic stainless steel (302, 304, 316, 316L for example) are very susceptible to SCC. Residual or load induced stress across the heat affected zone in the presence of, in this case, chlorides and sulfurs in the moist, heated exhaust gasses attack precipitates produced during the welding process and form cracks. If the welds would have been annealed it’s doubtful the cracks would have formed. They may have formed quicker in your application due to short trips and cold idling during winter run ups not allowing the exhaust system to completely warm up and dry out. No blame game…it is what it is. Not the right material or incomplete fabrication processing for the application coupled with a less than ideal mode of operation spelled disaster. 400 series SST is commonly used for aircraft exhaust systems and is much less susceptible to this failure mode…I wonder what Borla uses?

John

Last edited by Horspla; 3/26/14 at 08:18 AM.
Old 3/26/14, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I wonder what Borla uses?"

Old 3/26/14, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Their website says they use aircraft material to make their exhausts.
Old 3/26/14, 11:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started with Corsa Extremes and went to the S-Type. I'll warn you right now that you'll probably want the X-pipe, otherwise the Corsa's tend to be raspy. I have a video of my car with Corsas and their X pipe next to a car with the S-Types on them. I'll post it tonight.
Old 3/26/14, 11:06 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Horspla
Roh Roh…The crack is next to the weld in the heat affected zone and not through the weld. I’m guessing the break is located on the bottom of the tube on the entry into the muffler. If all this is true, the failure is likely stress corrosion cracking. Some grades of austenitic stainless steel (302, 304, 316, 316L for example) are very susceptible to SCC. Residual or load induced stress across the heat affected zone in the presence of, in this case, chlorides and sulfurs in the moist, heated exhaust gasses attack precipitates produced during the welding process and form cracks. If the welds would have been annealed it’s doubtful the cracks would have formed. They may have formed quicker in your application due to short trips and cold idling during winter run ups not allowing the exhaust system to completely warm up and dry out. No blame game…it is what it is. Not the right material or incomplete fabrication processing for the application coupled with a less than ideal mode of operation spelled disaster. 400 series SST is commonly used for aircraft exhaust systems and is much less susceptible to this failure mode…I wonder what Borla uses? John
John thanks for this a great read. I feel 100 times smarter already just reading it over the last few minutes. Given that, it's still an issue with Borla themselves. It sounds like they did not use the right materials nor follow the right practices, is that correct? The way a consumer drives his car shouldn't be a determinant of SCC events.

In addition, I doubt they use aircraft grade SS. That wouldn't be doing that if that were the case. Hmmmmm if they claim to use it, that's bad.
Old 3/26/14, 11:08 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
I started with Corsa Extremes and went to the S-Type. I'll warn you right now that you'll probably want the X-pipe, otherwise the Corsa's tend to be raspy. I have a video of my car with Corsas and their X pipe next to a car with the S-Types on them. I'll post it tonight.
Yes please post them.

However, not sure if you knew, but I had/have the full borla catback. Meaning x pipe and ota pipes. Which x pipe do you have? Shouldn't be an issue right? X is an x.

Quick Reply: Borla issues, possibly switching to Corsas... Need input pls