Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Best CAI and Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/13, 04:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best CAI and Tuner?

I'm trying to find out what is the best CAI and Tuner for my '13 V6. I've tried researching which ones were the best, however it's mostly personal opinions and salesmen trying to sell their product. Does anyone have cold hard information about the following CAI's and Tuners? For CAI, maybe possible HP/TQ gains, difference in exhaust sound (deeper/louder), if it has better throttle response, better/worse/same MPG, if it needs a tune or not, etc. For tuners.. well whatever information you have I guess. Personal experience would be best.

Airaid CAI
JLT Performance CAI
Roush CAI
Steeda CAI
SR Performance CAI
S&L CAI
BBK CAI

Bama Tuner
Diablosport Tuner (multiple kinds)
SCT Tuner (multiple kinds)

I was leaning towards a Airaid or Roush CAI with a Bama tune, but that's because of other people's opinions and ratings. I have a Roush axleback exhaust if that makes a difference. I was planning on buying from americanmuscle.com because of their excellent service. If anyone has any info on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 8/8/13, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well this can be a controversial question and answer thread. To be honest there are a lot of arm chair mechanics that you may hear from that will give you a glowing review of all of them. There really is not a lot of difference between most of them. If your looking to gain more torque, hp and responsiveness you should approach this with three items. A tuner, a CAI and a larger throttle body. I have done this with both my V8 and V6. in both cars I have used an SCT tuner and a BBK throttle body. in the 8 I used a JLT CAI and in the 6 I used an AFE. I am very happy and impressed to the changes to both cars. In my opinion if you take the major brands out there there will not be any major advantage from any certain one other than name recognition or looks.

Last edited by BRADGTCS; 8/8/13 at 07:00 PM.
Old 8/8/13, 05:59 PM
GTR Member

They are all the "best" depending on who you ask.

The roush and airaid CAI's are identical other than the name cast into them.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/8/13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 8/8/13, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Ill let others weight in ... but I will give you the high level ones you are asking about:

Yes, our CAI requires a tune.

This Cold Air Intake with the Steeda Custom Tunes are great. It really opened up the 2013 3.7L Mustang. We live at 7000ft and Steeda generated a custom tune for our altitude. Thanks Much
just got done installing and tunning this CAI on my car. As soon as I turned my car on I felt a major difference, it changed the sound and feel of the car. If you are stuck between all these different intakes companies are making, order the Steeda.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/9/13, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With most CAI's out there that do not require a tune, they are no better in flow then the stock box.

In your case, you want the CAI/tune combo. I too would be very courious as to dyno results with a stock box and tuner, then compaired to the same tune with an aftermarket CAI to see if they rreally do improve the dyno numbers.

According to many, the stock box already flows great, and is truly a Cold air intake, as the filter is inclosed, and only gets air from the outside. Most CAI's sold for our Mustangs have a flimsy side cover and seal that's supposed to keep the warm engine air away from the filter; they don't work as well as they should.
Old 8/9/13, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about 2 years ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air. This was on a GT.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

Name:  2011STOCKBOXVS95MMCAI.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  228.0 KB

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/9/13, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about 2 years ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air. This was on a GT.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

Best Regards,

TJ
Does the OP plan on tracking the car? If not this doesn't say much for a DD as you will rarely get the rpms up that high to see those gains on a regular a basis. Doesn't seem worth it.
Old 8/9/13, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tj@steeda

Best Regards,

TJ
^^^ This is a great example of the benefits of a CAI. Thanks for posting up TJ!

Shane

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Does the OP plan on tracking the car? If not this doesn't say much for a DD as you will rarely get the rpms up that high to see those gains on a regular a basis. Doesn't seem worth it.
Ajcruz1,

Keep in mind the dyno graph TJ posted is without any adjustments to timing or commanded fueling. With a custom tune, you'll be able to manipulate the benefits of a CAI even more. Which will pick up additional power you wouldn't see with a stock air box and custom tune.

IMO, a quality CAI is well worth the upgrade. You can't go wrong with a Steeda, Airaid, or JLT setup. Especially when paired with a custom tune!

Shane
Old 8/9/13, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

I definitely understand what you guys are getting at. I have had an airaid cai and bama tune on my '12 and now on my '14. I haven't tracked either one but I plan to occasionally. I didn't feel or see any difference between the two during DD with either unless I was punching (WOT) and this is with a tune on the stock box then with the cai. Now I have friends that I go with to the track that have the Steeda cai and a tune and they love it over the stock box and after riding with them you can see the difference so that's why I say its not really worth the money for the sound and slight hp gain for a DD but the big performance gain can be seen on the track because that's where you can really get on it. If you got cash to drop though it really doean't matter b/c it will be an improvement either way. Just not much of one. Just my .02
Old 8/9/13, 09:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't run any faster in 1/4 mile with my Steeda Tune/aircleaner...
But my MPH increases, so I know it's more powerful then stock tune.
I run 114. On stock aircleaner and tune.
Steeda I run 117.5 consistently
Old 8/9/13, 09:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1

^ this.

How often do we drive that high am rpm on a regular basis...
Old 8/9/13, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ this.

How often do we drive that high am rpm on a regular basis...
Almost every time I take my car out...
Old 8/9/13, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Almost every time I take my car out...
Me too!!