2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Behold the 5 point 0

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/10, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20115.0
rear fog lights???
I was about to ask about the rear fog's as well. Holy macaroni, that is one expensive hobby to import a car over there.
Old 10/18/10, 01:58 PM
GT Member

IIRC doesn't the UK have a road tax as well? What is it based on - engine displacement?
Old 10/18/10, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Once you add in shipping, import duty (10%), value added tax at 17.5% (we pay VAT on all goods and it goes up to 20% on Jan 1st!) a few on the road costs and you might as well change the $ for a £ sign.

A decently specced 5.0 GT will set you back between £36-39k, so about $57-62k

Isn't European Socailism beautiful, it was probably cheaper to live there when the Kings and Queens were choppin' peoples heads off.
Old 10/18/10, 02:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aujang
IIRC doesn't the UK have a road tax as well? What is it based on - engine displacement?
It used to be, but now it's based on CO2 emissions

However, one benefit of driving a Mustang is that, as an "un-official" import, it's CO2 rating has never been tested, so we get a low rating. It costs £200/year.

All of the above factors go towards the reasons why many of us only use our Mustangs as weekend toys. Still, means every journey is a pleasure
Old 10/18/10, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
You guys should loan that car out to Clarkson and the boys for an episode of Top Gear. Sure it would be beat to hell and the tires would be gone when its returned, but the rest of us will enjoy seeing it on the show
+1
Old 10/18/10, 02:42 PM
GT Member

However, one benefit of driving a Mustang is that, as an "un-official" import, it's CO2 rating has never been tested, so we get a low rating. It costs £200/year.

All of the above factors go towards the reasons why many of us only use our Mustangs as weekend toys. Still, means every journey is a pleasure
The government sure doesn't make it easy for you but I'm so glad that you still get to enjoy your 'Stang
Old 10/18/10, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

I actually hear idiots over here wishing we got something like this over here. I want to push them down a flight of stairs when I hear that.
Old 10/18/10, 03:55 PM

TT, this was, as best as I could tell back in July THE very first 2011 Mustang in the UK. What does that get me? So far, getting to mention it in this post.

I owe this forum to thank for the speedy delivery, as I took info from here and fed it to they guy placing the order. This probably got it to me weeks sooner.

As for the fog lights, when I had the UK light conversion done, they used the inside segment of the rear lights, which is what you saw on Saturday, TT. It kept me from having that dangly rear light out back.

By the way, it was a great meet on Saturday - thanks for putting it together and making it fun. I hope to get out with the other UK Mustangs soon.

Dan
Old 10/18/10, 04:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraDan
TT, this was, as best as I could tell back in July THE very first 2011 Mustang in the UK. What does that get me? So far, getting to mention it in this post.

I owe this forum to thank for the speedy delivery, as I took info from here and fed it to they guy placing the order. This probably got it to me weeks sooner.

As for the fog lights, when I had the UK light conversion done, they used the inside segment of the rear lights, which is what you saw on Saturday, TT. It kept me from having that dangly rear light out back.

By the way, it was a great meet on Saturday - thanks for putting it together and making it fun. I hope to get out with the other UK Mustangs soon.

Dan
Congrats mate! And how about my proposal? See below

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
You guys should loan that car out to Clarkson and the boys for an episode of Top Gear. Sure it would be beat to hell and the tires would be gone when its returned, but the rest of us will enjoy seeing it on the show
Old 10/18/10, 04:22 PM

That would be tempting, but have you priced the tires???

I was offered the chance to loan out the car to 5th Gear for their test against the new Camaro a short time after I got it home. I was tempted, if nothing else to be able to see my car tested on TV, but in the end I wanted to keep the the car nice and new. Yet another missed opportunity.

Dan
Old 10/18/10, 04:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be tempting, but have you priced the tires???

I was offered the chance to loan out the car to 5th Gear for their test against the new Camaro a short time after I got it home. I was tempted, if nothing else to be able to see my car tested on TV, but in the end I wanted to keep the the car nice and new. Yet another missed opportunity.

Dan
Can't blame you for that. I know I wouldn't have if I were given the chance. Were they going to compensate you at least?
Old 10/18/10, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice! thats awesome that you have one of the first 5.0's over there!! to bad it costs as much as a freakin Shelby for us!
Old 10/18/10, 08:20 PM

Dude, that's an outragous price. I could never afford anything. Gas, insurance, the actual car...wow.
Old 10/19/10, 05:16 AM
GT Member

I always wonder though about the relative cost of living. The car may be priced higher than *we* are used to, but what about the average income, and aside from fuel, what are usual living expenses?

For example, if housing is cheap and wages are decent, then perhaps an overpriced Mustang averages out in the end. Your money may go further in all other areas.

I'm in Afghanistan currently and was having a lively discussion two nights ago about income taxes, property costs, HOAs, excise taxes and the like with some gents from other countries (Germany, Bosnia, India, USA etc.) and how it differs from place to place.
Old 10/19/10, 12:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan

Hey Dan, good to see you here

Having the first 2011 5.0 in the UK is pretty darn cool.......and it's nice to know that I've driven a little piece of UK Mustang history! I was also one of the first to drive a 2010 in the UK, thanks to our friends at Bill Shepherd Mustang!

I suspect our next meet will be a slightly smaller affair, although the quality of the cars and people will be as good as ever

With regards the cost of living? Sure, it's relative to our incomes. The average UK wage is around £21k ($33k).......the average house about £130k ($207k). Given that mortgages should be based on 3 times salary, that would get you a £63k house......and there's no such thing in the UK. It's no wonder we'll be in debt until the day we die

Still, that's depressing and that's why I own a Mustang.....'cos every Mustang day is a good day