Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/17, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Maybe so Jim, however here's another disadvantage.. For those of us who prefer a manual transmission, you can pretty much kiss goodbye with an Electric motor
This argument I totally get. My Mustang would be so much more fun with a manual. The paddle shifters helped alot, though.

Still, it is easy to see that this is the way industry is going, so I would like to see the Mustang be offered with electric power, assuming that it will increase performance. I had read that is will not be plug in, though.
Old 2/14/17, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Maybe so Jim, however here's another disadvantage.. For those of us who prefer a manual transmission, you can pretty much kiss goodbye with an Electric motor
This is a tough one. I prefer manuals and don't really have anything against electric motors. But a manual transmission would be as useless on an electric motor as an exhaust system would be.

Electric motors can be potentially very exciting with the amount of torque they bring, but then to kill off manuals, mufflers, modding, etc? Would the benefit be worth it vs. the expense to the car culture?
Old 2/14/17, 05:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The day the mustang becomes a hybrid or even worse a plug in, is the day that Ford should rename the car something else. I may buy an electric car if I live long enough, but I will never buy an electric mustang. If the internal combustion engine dies then so should the mustang.
Old 2/14/17, 05:53 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The day the mustang becomes a hybrid or even worse a plug in, is the day that Ford should rename the car something else. I may buy an electric car if I live long enough, but I will never buy an electric mustang. If the internal combustion engine dies then so should the mustang.
I agree but I don't agree. It would be a shame to discontinue the Mustang all together just because it switched to all electric. I would probably never want to own one but I would still want it to exist. IMHO
Old 2/14/17, 07:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
This argument I totally get. My Mustang would be so much more fun with a manual. The paddle shifters helped alot, though.

Still, it is easy to see that this is the way industry is going, so I would like to see the Mustang be offered with electric power, assuming that it will increase performance. I had read that is will not be plug in, though.
Maybe so, but not for me Jim.. If I wanted an electric car, I'd own a Prius for a daily driver.. But the Mustang has always been a Pony Car/Muscle Car since it began over 50 years ago and should therefore remain that way..

-Rocky

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
This is a tough one. I prefer manuals and don't really have anything against electric motors. But a manual transmission would be as useless on an electric motor as an exhaust system would be.

Electric motors can be potentially very exciting with the amount of torque they bring, but then to kill off manuals, mufflers, modding, etc? Would the benefit be worth it vs. the expense to the car culture?
That's just it, it would take the enjoyment and enthusiasm away from the driving experience altogether.. The only thing the driver would still be in control of is the ability to steer, accelerate and brake, but other than that you might as well just consider the car as a computer with a steering wheel attached to the d*mn thing lol.

Agreed, just call it something else if the Mustang is no longer powered by the internal combustion engine..

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I agree but I don't agree. It would be a shame to discontinue the Mustang all together just because it switched to all electric. I would probably never want to own one but I would still want it to exist. IMHO
Yes, it would be a shame to discontinue the Mustang altogether, however if and whenever Ford would decide to kill off the internal combustion engine in favor of an all electric, then the Mustang would no longer really exist anyhow except for just the nameplate
Old 2/15/17, 09:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980

Guys, doomsday is a long way off. Step back from the ledge. All they've said is they're going to do a hybrid Mustang, which will use the electric motor to supplement the power of the gas engine, similar to the Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918. I don't think anyone would accuse those cars of not being fun to drive, having amazing performance, or being boring.

Gas engines are a LONG way from being eliminated. I have little doubt they will remain as options, especially in enthusiast vehicles like the Mustang, even if electrics take over the majority of daily driver vehicles. That shift is actually good for gearheads, in a way, because it's going to help ensure gas is available and relatively inexpensive well into the future. I am 34 and expect I'll be dead of old age before I can't get gasoline for my car.

Electric motors aren't going to kill modding either; it's just going to make it different. Just like getting rid of carbs did, just like moving towards software chips.
Old 2/15/17, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Guys, doomsday is a long way off. Step back from the ledge. All they've said is they're going to do a hybrid Mustang, which will use the electric motor to supplement the power of the gas engine, similar to the Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918. I don't think anyone would accuse those cars of not being fun to drive, having amazing performance, or being boring.
Exactly!

Electric motors aren't going to kill modding either; it's just going to make it different. Just like getting rid of carbs did, just like moving towards software chips.
Agreed!
Old 2/15/17, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I will always have a V8 Mustang, but as long as we can drive our own cars, Ford should keep the nameplate. If it ever gets to the point where self driving cars are required by law, the Mustang name is dead, along with dozens of other historical nameplates.

From even the very first Mustang commercial, "Mustang" embodied freedom and the American spirit. The name "Mustang" doesn't necessarily mean internal combustion engine. It means being able to go wherever you want, whenever you want, as you would with your horse. Your horse, with a wild spirit.
Old 2/15/17, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I will always have a V8 Mustang, but as long as we can drive our own cars, Ford should keep the nameplate. If it ever gets to the point where self driving cars are required by law, the Mustang name is dead, along with dozens of other historical nameplates.
Yes, if automated cars are going to be mandated, it would suck big. I would also rather see the nameplate die than become a robot taxi.

That's just it, it would take the enjoyment and enthusiasm away from the driving experience altogether.. The only thing the driver would still be in control of is the ability to steer, accelerate and brake, but other than that you might as well just consider the car as a computer with a steering wheel attached to the d*mn thing lol.
No different than having an automatic Mustang.
Old 2/15/17, 02:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
I agree sir!!!
Old 2/15/17, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
No different than having an automatic Mustang.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to get my hands on the new 10 speed auto.
Old 2/15/17, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38

From even the very first Mustang commercial, "Mustang" embodied freedom and the American spirit. The name "Mustang" doesn't necessarily mean internal combustion engine. It means being able to go wherever you want, whenever you want, as you would with your horse. Your horse, with a wild spirit.
That wild spirit would no longer exist without the internal combustion engine.. As the definition of your horse, with a wild spirit is the internal combustion engine..

Yes, if automated cars are going to be mandated, it would suck big. I would also rather see the nameplate die than become a robot taxi.
What do you think is going to be the next step from a fully electric motor Jim ? Uber is already planning on developing fully automated cars, so it's coming sooner than you think lol.

No different than having an automatic Mustang.
Well I suppose if they include paddle shifters, it wouldn't be so bad, but without hearing the rumble of the Mustang's V8.. IMO It just isn't going to have that pony car/muscle car feel to it any longer

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I agree sir!!!
Count me in as well Tony
Old 2/15/17, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That wild spirit would no longer exist without the internal combustion engine.. As the definition of your horse, with a wild spirit is the internal combustion engine..What do you think is going to be the next step from a fully electric motor Jim ? Uber is already planning on developing fully automated cars, so it's coming sooner than you think lol.Well I suppose if they include paddle shifters, it wouldn't be so bad, but without hearing the rumble of the Mustang's V8.. IMO It just isn't going to have that pony car/muscle car feel to it any longer Count me in as well Tony
I disagree. It's a much different experience, but driving a Tesla is like driving a remote control car. It's even hilarious to drive one in the snow.

My definition of a wild spirit has to do with the will to go wherever I want, whenever I want. As long as I have control over the go pedal, the stop pedal and the helm, that spirit lives.
Old 2/15/17, 07:26 PM

I disagree. It's a much different experience, but driving a Tesla is like driving a remote control car. It's even hilarious to drive one in the snow.

My definition of a wild spirit has to do with the will to go wherever I want, whenever I want. As long as I have control over the go pedal, the stop pedal and the helm, that spirit lives.
If the opportunity ever presents itself to drive a Tesla Patrick, then perhaps my opinion may change.. But until knowing what the experience actually really feels like, I won't know one way or the other.. However I'd be open and willing enough to give it a try in order to find out though
Old 2/15/17, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Gas engines are a LONG way from being eliminated. I have little doubt they will remain as options, especially in enthusiast vehicles like the Mustang, even if electrics take over the majority of daily driver vehicles. That shift is actually good for gearheads, in a way, because it's going to help ensure gas is available and relatively inexpensive well into the future. I am 34 and expect I'll be dead of old age before I can't get gasoline for my car.

The following users liked this post:
kylerohde (2/16/17)
Old 2/16/17, 12:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If the opportunity ever presents itself to drive a Tesla Patrick, then perhaps my opinion may change.. But until knowing what the experience actually really feels like, I won't know one way or the other.. However I'd be open and willing enough to give it a try in order to find out though
I'm telling you, it's very different, but fun in itself. It's like driving a roller coaster or a slingshot. If they could only make electric motors louder, it would almost be okay to give up ICE sound. I'd still never own an electric car as my only vehicle, but as a 3rd car, hell yes!

You'd really turn down a car that does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds? The fastest ones I drove did it in 3.7, and I couldn't imagine driving something faster than that!
Old 2/16/17, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Although my 2014 is probably pretty close to that I got it down to 4.4 before I did the headers and that was with a very soft launch. With the new MGW X Spec in there, I can bang the gears so much harder now. I should easily be 3.9-4.0...
Old 2/16/17, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm telling you, it's very different, but fun in itself. It's like driving a roller coaster or a slingshot. If they could only make electric motors louder, it would almost be okay to give up ICE sound. I'd still never own an electric car as my only vehicle, but as a 3rd car, hell yes!

You'd really turn down a car that does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds? The fastest ones I drove did it in 3.7, and I couldn't imagine driving something faster than that!
Performance is not dead by going electric. Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren and Tesla all proved that, as stated previously. If the performance, practicality and price are all there, then I would pick one up.

But the announced hybrid I think is just a half measure aimed at fuel economy. We may have to wait for a serious offering.
Old 2/16/17, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
What do you think is going to be the next step from a fully electric motor Jim ? Uber is already planning on developing fully automated cars, so it's coming sooner than you think lol.
So is Ford. They've committed to a Level IV autonomous vehicle for urban ride sharing environments by 2021. However, I have a hard time imagining being able to drive our own cars ever going away. The best of both worlds is more likely - drive when you want, let the car do it when you don't.
Old 2/16/17, 02:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I can see a time when you cannot get insured to drive your own car

That's how it will happen. It won't be done in by law but by a technicality due to an external force.

That's how we lose all of our rights. Unintended consequences. And when it comes to vehicles in the next 10-20 years there's gonna be a lot of those.