Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/17, 02:24 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Yeah,.......the 2013/2014 Mustangs look A LOT better and more aggressive for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-img_6977.jpg   Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-img_6978.jpg   Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-img_6980.jpg  
Old 7/1/17, 04:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Yeah,.......the 2013/2014 Mustangs look A LOT better and more aggressive for sure.
Although I don't dislike the current S550, I totally agree Tony about the 2013/2014 Mustangs looking more aggressive and better.. But then again, my preference has always been the S197 to begin with anyhow.. Therefore if that makes me out to be biased ? Then so be it.. IMHO the S550 appears more refined and more like a Euro sports coupe rather than a Pony car/Muscle car..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/1/17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 7/1/17, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the GT 350-R looks pretty good. I don't care for white cars but this one was really nice.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-img_20170523_142104851_hdr.jpg  
Old 7/1/17, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Did Ford announce a while back that they had to move up the Update schedule for the new Mustang as the sales where starting to slide? I still like my 2014 better than the new one and it kicks the new ones A**.
Nope. The rumor is that there will be a new one in 2020 but that has yet to be confirmed.
Old 7/2/17, 05:53 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
If anything, an accelerated update would be the result of losing at the drag strip to the new Camaro, not lack of sales. Performance-wise, GM hit the ball out of the park. Styling, as always, is a matter of personal taste.
Old 7/2/17, 10:47 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
IMHO the S550 appears more refined and more like a Euro sports coupe rather than a Pony car/Muscle car..
Perfect Rocky.
I agree 100%. Looks too refined. But, still an awesome looking car when done up correctly.

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I think the GT 350-R looks pretty good. I don't care for white cars but this one was really nice.
Yes, they are hot looking cars. One of the nicest looking Mustangs out there as far as new Mustangs goes. That front end is the game changer for the S550 Mustangs. As is Roush's front end. A LOT of Roush front end changes on the new Mustang forum.
Old 7/2/17, 11:07 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
If anything, an accelerated update would be the result of losing at the drag strip to the new Camaro, not lack of sales. Performance-wise, GM hit the ball out of the park. Styling, as always, is a matter of personal taste.
Ford obviously doesn't care about the drag strip with their withdrawal from NHRA!
Old 7/3/17, 07:45 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
For everyone *****ing about current Mustangs. Why don't you try this?
Buy an older mustang, keep your older mustang, or better yet start a new car company and make a new mustang. But don't call it a mustang because you know trademark and such.
Otherwise buy something else.
I would have thought you'd finish that statement with "Get off of my lawn."
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Ford obviously doesn't care about the drag strip with their withdrawal from NHRA!
Grant that I haven't been paying attention to drag racing for a while but has Ford been relevant in the upper levels of NHRA in past couple of decades? John Force I guess, but the only Ford part on his funny car was the sticker.

BTW, I STILL get "nice car" regularly even after 4 years of ownership.

Last edited by junkman9096; 7/3/17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 7/4/17, 07:21 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Since the S550 came out Ford dropped their NHRA participation so they aren't interested in 1/4 miles anymore.
Old 7/4/17, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Since the S550 came out Ford dropped their NHRA participation so they aren't interested in 1/4 miles anymore.
Originally Posted by junkman9096
I would have thought you'd finish that statement with "Get off of my lawn." Grant that I haven't been paying attention to drag racing for a while but has Ford been relevant in the upper levels of NHRA in past couple of decades? John Force I guess, but the only Ford part on his funny car was the sticker.

BTW, I STILL get "nice car" regularly even after 4 years of ownership.
Do the turnkey Cobra Jet drag cars not count? That's more relevant to the street than Funny Car anyway. Ford's motorsport focus has really been street-relevance anyway, other than NASCAR. Hence no F1 or IndyCar either.
Old 7/4/17, 06:14 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Do the turnkey Cobra Jet drag cars not count? That's more relevant to the street than Funny Car anyway. Ford's motorsport focus has really been street-relevance anyway, other than NASCAR. Hence no F1 or IndyCar either.
Of course but Ford backing IMHO with $ is not there in the NHRA so they are getting away from straight line racing. V6 development and other worldly pursuits seem to be their focus as of lately which just happened to coincide with the debut of the S550.
Old 7/4/17, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 is the next update after 2018.
Old 7/5/17, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Of course but Ford backing IMHO with $ is not there in the NHRA so they are getting away from straight line racing. V6 development and other worldly pursuits seem to be their focus as of lately which just happened to coincide with the debut of the S550.
Ehhhh I don't think the S550 was the driver of that. They still care enough to make line lock a feature on all 2018 Mustangs, which is surprising and cool. They've just made the decision that any racing investment has to have street car tech benefits. NASCAR is the only exception to that rule because it's still the biggest motorsport in the US, by a longshot, and I would bet Ford is lobbying behind the scenes for NASCAR to get with the times there too. Imagine if Ford could start running the EcoBoost V6 in NASCAR against GM pushrod V8's and whatever Toyota wanted to bring to the party. That's more interesting to me, personally.
Old 7/5/17, 08:58 PM

What isn't so cool about the line lock feature, is if you blow out your drivetrain or any engine components, Ford will not pay for the repairs under warranty.. So what good is really having a factory line lock if you're not able to use it to begin with

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/5/17 at 08:59 PM.
Old 7/6/17, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
What isn't so cool about the line lock feature, is if you blow out your drivetrain or any engine components, Ford will not pay for the repairs under warranty.. So what good is really having a factory line lock if you're not able to use it to begin with
Supposedly this is only the case if you have been racing (against other cars). Have you heard differently?
Old 7/6/17, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Supposedly this is only the case if you have been racing (against other cars). Have you heard differently?
No I haven't heard anything different at this point.. However what I don't quite understand is this.. The purpose of a line lock is to intentionally lock up the front wheels in order to do burn outs.. Now I'm quite certain that Ford didn't offer a factory line lock for people to do burnouts on public streets, so what other purpose is there other than for either track or drag racing purposes.. Perhaps it's just me, but it just doesn't make any logical sense as to why Ford would even offer a factory line lock function knowing full well that most are going to use it for racing purposes anyhow.. And who's to say that something can't go wrong or break down even when the line lock function isn't used at a track or racing event to begin with
Old 7/6/17, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
No I haven't heard anything different at this point.. However what I don't quite understand is this.. The purpose of a line lock is to intentionally lock up the front wheels in order to do burn outs.. Now I'm quite certain that Ford didn't offer a factory line lock for people to do burnouts on public streets, so what other purpose is there other than for either track or drag racing purposes.. Perhaps it's just me, but it just doesn't make any logical sense as to why Ford would even offer a factory line lock function knowing full well that most are going to use it for racing purposes anyhow.. And who's to say that something can't go wrong or break down even when the line lock function isn't used at a track or racing event to begin with
I read in multiple articles that track use does not necessarily constitute racing. For example, practicing. Or racing a clock without a competition.

For example:

https://goo.gl/5nRKhy
How the 2015 Ford Mustang Line Lock Will and Won't Void Your ...

"In speaking with the Motor Authority, Ford Motor Company global Mustang communications coordinator Brian Cotter explained that there are perfectly acceptable ways to use the line lock to bring out the performance potential of the new Mustang GT – but there are some stipulations.
Bracket racing against the clock or heads up racing against another car on the drag strip will void the warranty in your 2015 Ford Mustang GT – so how do you use it at the track? Well, if you are making time only runs, you are not racing. If you make a run down the quarter mile without any predetermined time goal (as when bracket racing) or without another car in the other lane, you are testing your Mustang’s performance capabilities – not racing."

YMMV. I remember reading this in multiple sources when line lock came out.
Old 7/6/17, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
This is precisely why most road cousrse HPDE events are not officially timed, and there is no standings at the end of the sessions. Not technically racing, even though you're pushing the car as far as you dare, with the purpose of going as fast as possible around a racetrack.

And Line Lock specifficaly, I bet you 90% of Line Lock use is outside of the racetrack. Parking lots, allays, behind buildings, strip malls this is where line lock comes into play.

It's "Hero" mode for people who can't do an old fashioned burnout with a manual. Oh, and it helps warm up the tires before a drag strip run too by the way.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/6/17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 7/7/17, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I read in multiple articles that track use does not necessarily constitute racing. For example, practicing. Or racing a clock without a competition.

For example:

https://goo.gl/5nRKhy
How the 2015 Ford Mustang Line Lock Will and Won't Void Your ...

"In speaking with the Motor Authority, Ford Motor Company global Mustang communications coordinator Brian Cotter explained that there are perfectly acceptable ways to use the line lock to bring out the performance potential of the new Mustang GT – but there are some stipulations.
Bracket racing against the clock or heads up racing against another car on the drag strip will void the warranty in your 2015 Ford Mustang GT – so how do you use it at the track? Well, if you are making time only runs, you are not racing. If you make a run down the quarter mile without any predetermined time goal (as when bracket racing) or without another car in the other lane, you are testing your Mustang’s performance capabilities – not racing."

YMMV. I remember reading this in multiple sources when line lock came out.
IMO even when testing your Mustang's performance capabilities, your never the less pushing the limits of your car's engine/drivetrain components despite not bracket racing as your still racing your car against a clock in which the odds of blowing a piston are much higher than driving under spirited conditions on either a road course or on the interstate which is less stressful on a car's engine and drivetrain components.. So in the end, who's really to say for certain what stipulations Ford may decide to use or not to use when it comes to either accepting or denying a factory warranty claim..

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
This is precisely why most road cousrse HPDE events are not officially timed, and there is no standings at the end of the sessions. Not technically racing, even though you're pushing the car as far as you dare, with the purpose of going as fast as possible around a racetrack.

And Line Lock specifficaly, I bet you 90% of Line Lock use is outside of the racetrack. Parking lots, allays, behind buildings, strip malls this is where line lock comes into play.

It's "Hero" mode for people who can't do an old fashioned burnout with a manual. Oh, and it helps warm up the tires before a drag strip run too by the way.
And if I were a betting man Marty, I would also say that 90% of line lock use is put to the test behind buildings, back roads and mall parking lots as well, especially by those under 25 years of age lol.
Old 7/11/17, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally got to see a 2018 refresh up close. It's MUCH improved over the looks and proportions of the 2015 style (who knew that dropping a little height out of the hood would help that much???) but I still can't make myself like it as much as the S197s.

Can I just have the upgraded motor, suspension and interior and keep the rest of my S197 in tact?
The following users liked this post:
Stage_3 (7/11/17)