Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/17, 04:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Everyone I've talked to didn't seem to like the S550.
Well, someone likes them. Ford is out-selling the snot over Camaros and Challengers.

I got smitten with the 2018 refresh and plan on ordering one late '17/early 18.
Old 5/30/17, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Well, someone likes them. Ford is out-selling the snot over Camaros and Challengers.

The ecoboost is probably what is selling well as it makes up most of Mustang sales. But the Coyote S550 is just so much slower than the Camaro SS and Scat Packs for a similar price point out the factory. Like I said, everyone I talked to in person didn't seem to favor the S550 even Ford engineers. They need to increase power and torque from the 5.0 and hopefully the DI MPFI setup does the job.
Old 5/30/17, 07:23 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
I'm not in love with it, just like I'm not in love with the S550, but I do like them both. I'm still digging the S197 models. ESPECIALLY the GT500 cars. My favorite.
Here are 3 pretty good profile photos of the 2018 Tom.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-2018-mustang-ecoboost-royal-crimson-01-657x360.jpg   Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-2018-mustang-ecoboost-royal-crimson-rear.jpg   Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design?-2018-mustang-ecoboost-royal-crimson-side.jpg  
Old 5/30/17, 07:37 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Here are 3 pretty good profile photos of the 2018 Tom.

Thanks Tony. That looks great. I want to see how RC looks on a 'vert. I like the black wheels with that color. My back-up color is Kona Blue.
Old 5/30/17, 10:38 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Thanks Tony. That looks great. I want to see how RC looks on a 'vert. I like the black wheels with that color. My back-up color is Kona Blue.
You're welcome Tom.
I think it looks great with the black wheels as well.
Old 5/30/17, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I still think it's ugly. A little less so than a '15, but I just cannot warm up to it. I'll be holding on to my '14 till at least 2020 if I can.
Old 5/30/17, 10:03 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,731 Posts
The ecoboost is probably what is selling well as it makes up most of Mustang sales. But the Coyote S550 is just so much slower than the Camaro SS and Scat Packs for a similar price point out the factory. Like I said, everyone I talked to in person didn't seem to favor the S550 even Ford engineers. They need to increase power and torque from the 5.0 and hopefully the DI MPFI setup does the job.
Charlie, remember the scat pack Challenger is only outperforming the Coyote S550 in a straight line.. When it comes to corner carving and on a road course, the S550 Coyote has the edge.. As for the current Camaro SS, it more than likely is outperforming the Coyote S550 both in straight line and in the corners due that the current 6th gen is approx 300lbs lighter over the previous 5th gen.. At any rate, as I've mentioned in this thread in the past, I don't dislike the current S550.. However I much prefer the classic/retro styling of the 2005-09 S197 hands down
Old 5/30/17, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am a fan of all the technology and engineering that went into the S550. My aunt has an Ecoboost convertible and it's a quick car with the IRS in the back that thing handles great on the back roads of Tennessee, but I hate the front end of it.

The back end is great but with the "fastback" and convertible there is no head room for anyone in the back. The font end is just to euro for me. I understand that the S550 was going to be the "Global Mustang", but Ford didn't listen the people who love the Mustang around the world and what they wanted was a ground pounding piece of American Muscle not a grand touring car that you could compare styling to BMW and what not. They wanted to pull up next to an M5 and blow it's doors off and take a corner like the monster was on rails while playing classic rock as loud as humanly possible. I think we wanted the stereo typical beast of a Mustang with a high revving, high horsepower V8 under the hood, an IRS, and a Manual Transmission in between, but still leaving it's Muscle Car heritage intact.

I look at it this way the 1999-04 Mustangs are the 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustang they are great run about cars, they made a lot of them and they are fun to drive, small, but they don't have a ton of factory horsepower other then the Shelbys and Corbras. I also know a limited numbers of Cobras had a bolt on IRS but it's not the same as having a car built around IRS from the start.

The 2005-2009 Mustangs are like the 1967-68 Mustang they made them bigger, beefier and added horsepower to made it more of a muscle car.

The 2010-12 cars is the 1969 Mustang, it got a little bigger a little bit of a redesign and they put a game changing motor in it to make it even better. With really nice styling to boot.

The 2013-14 cars is the 1970 Mustang, it got a more aggressive look with all the comforts we have come to know and love and even more horsepower to make one amazing car.

Then here comes the S550 it has to be the 1971 to 1973 Mustang of our time, some people love the 71 Mustang but Ford again just like the S550 went very Euro on their design and went with many European influences, but who doesn't love the sound of that 5.2L flat plane crank in the new GT350 or the 435hp and 400 lb-ft coming out of the 5.0L and all with an IRS out back.

I love my 2013 Mustang GT and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I have to say I did really enjoy driving the Ecoboost S550. If it wasn't for the styling it would have been everything I had ever asked for in a Mustang and more. That's my story and I am sticking to it....
Old 5/31/17, 12:25 AM

Not that I'm playing devil's advocate, as I've posted my opinions about the S550 in this thread since the very beginning.. Therefore I don't think it's really necessary in having to re-hash those opinions yet once again.. However I totally disagree with your opinion regarding that Ford didn't listen to the people who love the Mustang around the world by claiming what they truly wanted was a ground pounding piece of American Muscle and not a grand touring car that you could compare styling to BMW and similar other euro sport coupes.. If what you claimed were accurate, the current S550 not only wouldn't had taken the number 1 sales crown previously held by the 5th and now 6th gen Camaro, but also wouldn't be the number 1 sporty car in both domestic and in global sales either.. Although folks like you and myself along with many others who prefer the classic/pony car heritage of the Mustang, Ford has to think outside of the box and appeal to the younger and future generations of potential car buyers in order for the Mustang to survive for hopefully the next 50 years, otherwise if Ford doesn't continue to evolve the Mustang further into the 21st century, it will not continue to survive.. At any rate, despite my personal preferences, I'd much rather see the Mustang continue to outsell the competition as the number 1 sporty car for the next 50 years and beyond.. That being said, I can totally respect and understand your personal preferences, but on the other hand who am I nor anybody else including yourself for that matter have any business in attempting to claim what other people around the world want, let alone post some speculation claim that Ford wasn't listening to them.. Unless you can provide actual documentation to back up what was supposedly said by these people in question and by Ford, perhaps you should just stick with providing your own opinions rather than attempt to interpret what other people want and just leave it at that

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/31/17 at 12:41 AM.
Old 5/31/17, 04:31 AM
FR500 Member

I'm certain that the number of fans who participate in this and other Mustang forums are but a small percentage of those who actually own or drive one. As far as I know not a single member of my Mustang club (except for me) even knows that these forums exist.

If all the Mustang owners on all the different forums actually made a difference, then the S550 would have died a quick death judging on all the dissent back in '14...myself included. S550 sales proved otherwise and I'm glad for Ford.

Most folks might not immediately notice or even care about the visual differences between the first S550 and the current refresh. How many people will know the difference between between 435hp and 455hp (or whatever the new power figures are)? Who really cares which brand out-handles the other? We do all that here because it's our job to pick nits.

Heck, I don't use all the potential in my 2014 GT and probably never will. I'm willing to bet that a large number of TMS members don't either. And to those that track their Mustangs, more power to you (pun intended). I admire your passion and skills.
The following 2 users liked this post by TripleBlack14:
kylerohde (5/31/17), Stage_3 (5/31/17)
Old 5/31/17, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm certain that the number of fans who participate in this and other Mustang forums are but a small percentage of those who actually own or drive one. As far as I know not a single member of my Mustang club (except for me) even knows that these forums exist.

If all the Mustang owners on all the different forums actually made a difference, then the S550 would have died a quick death judging on all the dissent back in '14...myself included. S550 sales proved otherwise and I'm glad for Ford.

Most folks might not immediately notice or even care about the visual differences between the first S550 and the current refresh. How many people will know the difference between between 435hp and 455hp (or whatever the new power figures are)? Who really cares which brand out-handles the other? We do all that here because it's our job to pick nits.

Heck, I don't use all the potential in my 2014 GT and probably never will. I'm willing to bet that a large number of TMS members don't either. And to those that track their Mustangs, more power to you (pun intended). I admire your passion and skills.
Old 5/31/17, 12:16 PM

This ^^^^^
Old 5/31/17, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts

Well said Tom.

As it was I wasn't overjoyed with the 550. But, as most of you know the '13 is my dearest's car. She will make the ultimate decision when it comes to a new one. Me, I'll just keep my little '06 197, along with my F-150.
Old 6/5/17, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel the same here. S550 doesnt do it for me. Been driving Stangs as my daily driver since 1998. Bought 1 of the 1st 2011 GT500's in South FL. I do not understand why Ford cant emulate Porsche w/the 911, let it evolve instead of wholesale redesigns. For me the S197 was the last Mustang
Old 6/5/17, 10:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fjm1235
Feel the same here. S550 doesnt do it for me. Been driving Stangs as my daily driver since 1998. Bought 1 of the 1st 2011 GT500's in South FL. I do not understand why Ford cant emulate Porsche w/the 911, let it evolve instead of wholesale redesigns. For me the S197 was the last Mustang
Because Porsche is the exception, not the rule. That's just not a realistic want.
Old 6/6/17, 12:35 AM

Also keep in mind the Porsche 911 is a low volume exotic sports car and not a mass produced car as the Mustang.. The Mustang also doesn't have an MSRP beginning at $89,400 nor falls under the exotic niche market class as the 911..

Ford's only purpose for being in the auto industry is to make money.. They have no interest in catering to the select few that only want low volume/niche vehicles like the Porsche 911 who can afford to pay nearly 90k and up.. That being said, Ford is and has always been in the mass production business, not in the niche market industry as Porsche is by comparison

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/6/17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 6/19/17, 11:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking of trading my very low mileage 2014 on a 2018 but have to see one in the sheetmetal first. I think i'd actually like the 2016 front end better than the 2018 but it's the goodies underneath I'm more interested in. The magnetic ride control, tunable mufflers, and new instrument panel. And the most important factor - hopefully more than 455 hp. I'd actually like a GT350 better if i didn't have to pay the 5 grand markup the dealers around here are asking. I also don't fit in the Recaros. I really would like the Tremec 6 speed because even with the MGW shifter, my 2014 is not a great shifter. I don't miss shifts like I did before the MGW conversion but you still can't shift fast with it. The 2018 is supposed to be improved but they say that every year. I think the only improvement is replacement. I still think the 2014s are the best looking Mustangs so it's going to take some selling on Ford's part.
Old 6/26/17, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time Mustang owner, new member here. I'm glad to see there are so many who just cant warm up to the S550 like myself. I was recently in the market for a new toy and drove several S550s and while I enjoyed the way they drove, I could never get past the looks. It does absolutely nothing for me and I kept coming back to the 13/14's. I ended up finding a 5,000 mile 14 GT/CS and have never looked back.
Old 6/26/17, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The 2018 F-150's 5.0 V8 specs came out, and it gains a pissant meager 10 hp and 13 ft-lb from having port and direct injection. I hope Ford is able to massage a bit more power for the Mustang's 2018 5.0, like 20 hp, so it can at least match the Camaro SS's advertised hp rating of 455 hp.

I still prefer the Mustang, but it is a joke among the Big 3's current pony cars/performance cars. The GT350 will get smoked on the street by a Camaro SS, Scat Pack Charger, etc... and heck, my tune-only SHO will match its 1/4 mile time (yes, I know the GT350 is designed for road racing - but until they come out with a new halo Mustang...) Hellcats are being leased like hotcakes, and I see younger kids at the strip with Scat Packs, Hellcats, etc... Even at work, our company picnic/car shows used to have a bunch of Mustangs - all replaced with Chargers/Challengers/Camaros.

If Ford would slap the GT350's heads and different cams onto the Coyote and put that into every GT, I'd seriously consider a new Mustang GT as that combo is putting out over 500 hp naturally aspirated. The flat-plane crank to me is just a gimmick. Hot Rod Magazine showed that the bulk of the 5.2's power gains are from the heads, not the crank.

Last edited by metroplex; 6/26/17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 6/27/17, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The 2018 F-150's 5.0 V8 specs came out, and it gains a pissant meager 10 hp and 13 ft-lb from having port and direct injection. I hope Ford is able to massage a bit more power for the Mustang's 2018 5.0, like 20 hp, so it can at least match the Camaro SS's advertised hp rating of 455 hp.

I still prefer the Mustang, but it is a joke among the Big 3's current pony cars/performance cars. The GT350 will get smoked on the street by a Camaro SS, Scat Pack Charger, etc... and heck, my tune-only SHO will match its 1/4 mile time (yes, I know the GT350 is designed for road racing - but until they come out with a new halo Mustang...) Hellcats are being leased like hotcakes, and I see younger kids at the strip with Scat Packs, Hellcats, etc... Even at work, our company picnic/car shows used to have a bunch of Mustangs - all replaced with Chargers/Challengers/Camaros.

If Ford would slap the GT350's heads and different cams onto the Coyote and put that into every GT, I'd seriously consider a new Mustang GT as that combo is putting out over 500 hp naturally aspirated. The flat-plane crank to me is just a gimmick. Hot Rod Magazine showed that the bulk of the 5.2's power gains are from the heads, not the crank.
A joke that's the best selling car in its class in the US and worldwide. 🤔 🙄