2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/16, 06:10 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Dealer replaced my inflator this morning. Took around 30 minutes . He told me to not be surprised if i get a recall notice for the passenger side soon .
Same with me! In and out in 20 mins, they replaced the driver side. Passenger side is coming next, same thing.
The following users liked this post:
David Young (8/22/16)
Old 8/20/16, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Same with me! In and out in 20 mins, they replaced the driver side. Passenger side is coming next, same thing.
Wait what? Mine was driver only.
Old 8/21/16, 05:25 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Good chance the passenger side inflator will be recalled in the near future
Old 8/21/16, 05:34 AM
I Have No Life

Yeah for now driver only. Ford said that the passenger is coming next, that's all.
Old 8/21/16, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First recall in 2014 was for the passenger side. Second recall notice 2015/2016 is for the driver's side.

Told by Ford Service that the recall replacement parts are a temporary fix. Apparently Ford wants to ditch Takata and only use parts made in USA...gee whiz and golly...about time.

Last edited by poldrv; 8/21/16 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
13_ImpactBlue_GT (8/21/16)
Old 8/21/16, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poldrv
First recall in 2014 was for the passenger side. Second recall notice 2015/2016 is for the driver's side.

Told by Ford Service that the recall replacement parts are a temporary fix. Apparently Ford wants to ditch Takata and only use parts made in USA...gee whiz and golly...about time.
How long has Ford been using Takata?
Old 8/21/16, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by poldrv

I seriously doubt Ford is going to recall millions of cars a second time, not to mention issue an outdated, nationalistic proclamation like "only made in the USA." That era is over. Takata cut corners, just like US (and every other country on earth) companies have. Great products can be produced everywhere.
Old 8/21/16, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah for now driver only. Ford said that the passenger is coming next, that's all.
When did they say that? And was it Ford or your dealer?
Old 8/21/16, 06:06 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
That's what I thought? I thought it was driver side only as well?
Old 8/21/16, 06:16 PM
I Have No Life

When did they say that? And was it Ford or your dealer?
Yes that is correct. Directly at the ford dealer. Apparently there's another recall coming soon.
Old 8/22/16, 05:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've already received a notice of the passenger side recall. I've also had it completed already - the dealer did it while doing the driver's side about a month ago and about a week before I got the notification from Ford. I was very impressed with their level of service.
Old 8/22/16, 07:13 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I've already received a notice of the passenger side recall. I've also had it completed already - the dealer did it while doing the driver's side about a month ago and about a week before I got the notification from Ford. I was very impressed with their level of service.
According to my dealer, they have not received notification that the passenger side is even available yet. That's weird that it's not consistent with dealership across different locations.
Old 8/22/16, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Interesting - I had no idea there was even a passenger side concern. Mine doesn't have it, apparently. The FAQs about Takata on owner.ford.com are pretty interesting.
Old 8/22/16, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously doubt Ford is going to recall millions of cars a second time, not to mention issue an outdated, nationalistic proclamation like "only made in the USA." That era is over. Takata cut corners, just like US (and every other country on earth) companies have. Great products can be produced everywhere.

This was the information given to me by the service manager at the dealership. The safety of the airbag deployment is an issue in litigation when owners and passengers are injured by defective parts. The Takata part is defective hence the various recalls. By the way my two Mustangs have been recalled twice already for the airbag issue. Should Ford decide on a part made in North America then I imagine there might be a third and fourth recall. I only pass on the information I am given to alert others.
Old 8/22/16, 11:11 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 642 Likes on 463 Posts
According to my dealer, they have not received notification that the passenger side is even available yet. That's weird that it's not consistent with dealership across different locations.
Wonder if him being in Fl. has anything to do with it since heat and humidity are supposed to be part of the problem? Maybe they're focusing on those areas first?
Old 8/23/16, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. It seems plausible.
Old 8/23/16, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
So are they providing you with a rental car in the mean time? I would be furious if it's waiting that long for one part!!!
Nope. I've tried. And sense the airbag has deployed it voids the warranty that covers them fixing recall 15S21. So i have to get an airbag first somehow in order for them to fix the recalls anyway.

@WhiteBird00
"I have been doing some research and can find no law that prohibits driving a vehicle with deployed or disabled airbags. "

I believe you are right, but it's the body shop at this point that doesn't want to release it back to me because they don't want to be held liable if anything were to happen driving an unsafe car.
Old 8/23/16, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangDude25
@WhiteBird00
"I have been doing some research and can find no law that prohibits driving a vehicle with deployed or disabled airbags. "

I believe you are right, but it's the body shop at this point that doesn't want to release it back to me because they don't want to be held liable if anything were to happen driving an unsafe car.
I figured as much. I suggest you tell them that they must release the vehicle or you will call the police. If they still balk then call the police non-emergency number while you are standing in front of them and tell the dispatcher that your car is being held illegally with no lien filed and no charges owing. I think you'll get your car back pretty quickly (although you may have to find another body shop). If the body shop tries to claim that it would be illegal, have them point out the exact statute that says so.
Old 8/29/16, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side done but

Took a wait of 2.5 hours. But I noticed a few days later the Mustang emblem in the center of the wheel (the part taken off to replace the recalled part) was scratched. It looks like it was set on the concrete floor and pushed.
Old 8/29/16, 08:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrooney
Took a wait of 2.5 hours. But I noticed a few days later the Mustang emblem in the center of the wheel (the part taken off to replace the recalled part) was scratched. It looks like it was set on the concrete floor and pushed.
I'd be LIVID.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall