Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

8 hours with the car and pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/12, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kcoTiger

I'm not so old, but feel the same way. So much ignorant noise these days.
Would you prefer we speak in The King's English instead?
Old 5/13/12, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always wondered why people posting new mustang pictures on their driveway had dealer advertisements instead of license plates,(comes the mail, weird) in Canada u get them before u leave the dealership
Old 5/13/12, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks Pete, finally someone came up with the correct reason the OP was pulled. Don't you just hate it when Cops do their job?
Sorry but I cannot keep shut and will probably get flamed for this.

I have no problem when cops do their job. I have a huge problem when people, or other officers, try to justify a cop who is clearly not doing their job and violating the law. I have no problem with a pre-textual stop as they are legal, however, if the temporary tag was legally placed pursuant to state law, and there is no other violation, then the driver should not have been harassed.

The worst part is that if any evidence was found of a crime that resulted from that illegal stop, it would not be allowed to be used against the Defendant. Fruit of the poisonous tree. That's the real problem when cops don't follow the law, if any evidence of a crime that we would all find repulsive and disgusting is found, then any competent lawyer would be able to get the evidence suppressed. It really doesn't matter for a drug charge or something that is not a big deal, however, find bloody weapons, or a body and the evidence is suppressed because of an illegal stop, How is that good for anyone in society?
Old 5/13/12, 11:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I understand your point and appreciate the perspective, but we only have one perspective here and it isn't that of the officer. If those plates are used by thieves to disguise stolen cars then the officer has enough to warrant suspicion. There are bad cops, but the reality is that the vast majority are good officers. Every time they stop someone, they risk getting a gun shoved in their face. You may know that you would never do that, but they don't and can't assume that the person in the car is an upstanding individual whom respects the law. Clearly that wasn't an issue here, but that officer wasn't out to ruin someone's day. I would put money on the officer seeing something that warranted the stop.
Old 5/13/12, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the registration was in the front window as originally posted, and no temp. plate is issued in that state, is the officer expected to drive around the car to see if it is legally registered? If, and it is an IF....the officer could not see the paper in the front windshield for any reason, it could be a reason for stopping.

Not the first to be stopped for nothing (after it was all over) and not the last either. Try getting stopped and the officer has his gun drawn.....just because of the make and color of the vehicle matches a bar fight suspect......such fun that was.
Old 5/13/12, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Don't you just hate it when Cops do their job?
Old 5/13/12, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
So I was minding my own business, had my mother with me, took her out to diner and was driving her home when I get pulled over by cops from a different town than the one I am in. They bring in a second car while I wait and then finally walk up and notice my registration in the front window. "We were wondering why you had no plates" they say, gee, the license plate holder that all new cars in California have that advertises the dealer till your plates come in the mail wasn't a f'ing give away?

My mother was no help, she was buzzed from margaritas and an ex-cop so she was mouthing off, granted I had done nothing wrong, but f'ing seriously? Less then 72 hours back in the states, and 8 hours with the car and I get pulled over? Cops just irritate me...
I got pulled over for my tint. Never been pulled over for a tint before. They must be hurtin for money. Pigs.
Old 5/13/12, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

The problem in this situation isn't the driver or the cops, it's the procedures in California. Why on earth do they let you drive a new car away on public roads legally without any sort of license plate. I used to live in Connecticut and we received "dealer" temp plates, with a number on it that was good for x amount of days. In California you just have an advertisement for a dealership in the bracket. How does a cop or other driver identify you in a report if needed?
Old 5/13/12, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmillz
The problem in this situation isn't the driver or the cops, it's the procedures in California. Why on earth do they let you drive a new car away on public roads legally without any sort of license plate. I used to live in Connecticut and we received "dealer" temp plates, with a number on it that was good for x amount of days. In California you just have an advertisement for a dealership in the bracket. How does a cop or other driver identify you in a report if needed?
The dealer is supposed to tape the temporary registration inside the windshield.
Old 5/13/12, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
The dealer is supposed to tape the temporary registration inside the windshield.
They didn't for me. I only just moved to California so when I got to the dealership a couple weeks ago and saw the dealership's plates on the car I asked when I could get the temp plates. The dealer then informed me that in CA you can legally drive it with the dealership placeholders. I didn't ask about it the registration being taped. If the registration was small it may have been taped on the first day and I just didn't notice, since after that I brought it back to the dealer and had plates put on.

Last edited by jmillz; 5/13/12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 5/13/12, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

Yea the registration is taped in the front window, but it is nothing large, definitely not readable from any distance, only at best acknowledge-able.
Old 5/13/12, 09:49 PM
Banned

They didn't for me. I only just moved to California so when I got to the dealership a couple weeks ago and saw the dealership's plates on the car I asked when I could get the temp plates. The dealer then informed me that in CA you can legally drive it with the dealership placeholders. I didn't ask about it the registration being taped. If the registration was small it may have been taped on the first day and I just didn't notice, since after that I brought it back to the dealer and had plates put on.
It is small but you would have noticed it.
Old 5/13/12, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

It's really just a numbers game. They figure if they pull over 10 newish cars with those tags 1 will be proven to be stolen or whatever. If you did nothing then you really have nothing to worry about.
Old 5/13/12, 09:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Hye
I got pulled over for my tint. Never been pulled over for a tint before. They must be hurtin for money. Pigs.
Ha! You bet, in Cali New Governor Brown, Insert Joke here, said that Cali is $18 Billion in dept. So I would watch out if you live in the Golden State...
Old 5/13/12, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jacostang
Ha! You bet, in Cali New Governor Brown, Insert Joke here, said that Cali is $18 Billion in dept. So I would watch out if you live in the Golden State...
It's not 18b!!! That a total exaggeration why are you blowing it out of proportion, it's only 16b. LOL
Old 5/13/12, 11:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Temp tags are for perps. I've bought quite a few cars and had REAL plates before leaving the dealer. New and used.

Your mom is an "ex" cop?!?! Whatever Ex is, i'm assuming retired?! Then she should know A LOT better then to act like an animal when dealing with the police.

So let me sum this up.....you got stopped, they did their job, your mom acted like a fool and they cut you loose. And cops irritate you?!? Sounds interesting.

I hope when some jerk off steals your car and rides past a cop, that they'll be preoccupied doing something other then their job

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 5/13/12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 5/13/12, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope someone hits the "jake" brake and slows this down a bit
Old 5/13/12, 11:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Temp tags are for perps. I've bought quite a few cars and had REAL plates before leaving the dealer. New and used.

Your mom is an "ex" cop?!?! Whatever Ex is, i'm assuming retired?! Then she should know A LOT better then to act like an animal when dealing with the police.

So let me sum this up.....you got stopped, they did their job, your mom acted like a fool and they cut you loose. And cops irritate you?!? Sounds interesting.

I hope when some jerk off steals your car and rides past a cop, that they'll be preoccupied doing something other then their job
Wow, considering you weren't here your mouth was a little out of line. She demanded to know why they were pulling us over, and what was going through their mind as no wrong doing had been committed (she was most certainly not tactful about the questions, but they were well within her right). Cops are there to protect and serve, neither of those actions were being commited in this instance. If there is an issue they would like resolved with the way California deals with its new car purchases then maybe they should start writing their congressmen not simply pulling over every new car they see without probable cause. This is America, not Italy or some other country where there doesn't have to be a reason to pull someone over. I have no issue what so ever with cops doing their job, would just actually like to see them do it for a change. My sister and mother have both had cars stolen here in the local area, and neither were ever found by cops, but tow companies that came to move them cause they were parked somewhere too long.

Yes my mother is a retired cop, and she got mouthy for good reason, cops don't seem to realize what their jobs are these days. They enjoy harassing people (and I am not simply referring to my situation) rather then actually go do something about crimes. 3 years ago I was in town and in a part of town that is questionable, I had pulled over in to a parking lot to get a text about a party location. There were a bunch of kids (12 and under) running around wild and the cops showed up, refused to step out of their car, shined their lights on the kids and told them to go home... they didn't listen, I wouldn't have either, if you don't have the ***** to do your job, then don't do it. They finally approached us sitting in my car and asked us what we were doing, again without stepping out of their vehicle. I got out and told them we were waiting for directions, they advised me to go two more exits to this Dennys where all the cops hang out as that is safe. They don't even come to the area we were in unless there is a call they said.

The cops were out of line, they weren't doing their job in any way. I found out they had several different agencies in town for an anti-gang task force over the weekend, so one of their first acts is to pull over a brand new car with a 60 year old woman in the passenger seat... very successful campaign I am sure.
Old 5/14/12, 12:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Bad thing happen to good people. and that's what all this boils down to.

Its good that with the forum you have a voice, and there are plenty of different views.
I could tell you some stories about being pulled over by police and sheriffs in California that would raise the hair on your head. I remember I vented to my high school friend that is a PD supervisor in the part of town I live in and he kinda schooled me on things that I didn't realize (whats in an officers mind when he makes a stop).

Did I think it was still wrong, yes... but did I understand.. a little bit more.

hope things wind down and everything works out better in the future
Old 5/14/12, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a chain of command located within the police force starting with the chief and then rolling down through the ranks to the insult to the badge you had to deal with. Maybe complaining to the hierarchy or filing a formal complaint with your local county city, or state law enforcement municipality will help curtail instances like this from happening? Anything is worth trying over nothing I think. :shrug:

Quick Reply: 8 hours with the car and pulled over