2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/10, 09:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tires are a big topic of discussion, has anyone on the M3 boards tested the Conti's vs. the PS2s and been able to put out any sort of data? Seems like people are grasping at straws...

Also, I did go over and read some comments, and people are commenting on the interior as if it's pathetic. The "snobs" as they call themselves need to wake up and be a little more realistic.

If anything, this is a huge call to GM and Chrysler to refine their attempts in the pony car segment.
Old 8/23/10, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
However, the times were slower because the Contis have that bad of grip vs. the PS2s. The best times I have seen are on PS2s while the worse times are on Contis.

Dave
Why would the m3 "track pack" come with crap rubber? And i'm curious to hear an argument against the live axle.
Old 8/23/10, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The M3 in that test also did 0-60 in 3.9 and ran the 1/4 mile in 12.4@114.8mph. I don't think you can get an M3 to that price level. The most I have seen is $75k, my car with ZCP package, premium package and navigation stickered at $67k.

The Mustang that probably has my name on it is going to be the 2014 Stang..when they get away from all the retro and finally put the live rear axle out to pasture.

Guys..don't get me wrong..I love the stang and it is amazing what Ford did.

Dave
Thanks I assumed that price was a bit high seeing how I have priced these out to purchase as well. they are great cars and I love them dearly but I gotta but a Mustang and keep supporting Ford as I have for the last 20 years
Old 8/23/10, 09:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can just tell the difference in maturity and class level between M3 owners and camaro owners its no contest. That m3 board was as mature as it gets as far as internet forums go, and Dave is always a class act
Old 8/23/10, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Also, I did go over and read some comments, and people are commenting on the interior as if it's pathetic. The "snobs" as they call themselves need to wake up and be a little more realistic.
This is the crap that annoys me that people actually post they are snobs...I can afford one of the M3's but I am a Ford man and have always been (thanks Dad ). Those people are just very shallow to make statements like that when they don't have a clue in hell what the new Mustang looks like and see first hand how great the interior is for a 30-40k car depending on your options. I am sure glad I am not a shallow person that measures their worth by the car they drive or one they have to drive to make sure they are complete.

sorry for the rant, that **** just annoys me!!!!!!!!!! Now if we are talking someting in the 300k and up price range than I would understand those snobby comments more cause that is a whole nother tax bracket when you start buying those high priced cars...
Old 8/23/10, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
You can just tell the difference in maturity and class level between M3 owners and camaro owners its no contest. That m3 board was as mature as it gets as far as internet forums go, and Dave is always a class act
yep no pissing contest there that is for sure..other than a few comments, I enjoy reading that board and I have never been a BMW owner.
Old 8/23/10, 09:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
yep no pissing contest there that is for sure..other than a few comments, I enjoy reading that board and I have never been a BMW owner.
//offtopic

so todd did you decide to wait on the BOSS?
Old 8/23/10, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

//offtopic

so todd did you decide to wait on the BOSS?
Well I have contacted a few dealers and they want over MSRP plus I have to have my Mustang in Feb 2011 as I leased a Maxima a couple years ago as there was no car out there I wanted (only car I have ever leased, I buy everything). The info I have heard thus far is the Boss won't be out on the streets until april/may which is to far past my deadline. If things change in my favor I will certainly go after buying a 302 but I just don't feel it will work this time.
Old 8/23/10, 10:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Well I have contacted a few dealers and they want over MSRP plus I have to have my Mustang in Feb 2011 as I leased a Maxima a couple years ago as there was no car out there I wanted (only car I have ever leased, I buy everything). The info I have heard thus far is the Boss won't be out on the streets until april/may which is to far past my deadline. If things change in my favor I will certainly go after buying a 302 but I just don't feel it will work this time.
well I hope it works out for you bro. A BOSS would be the ultimate, but as we just learned from this comparo a brembo 5.0 is no slouch!
Old 8/23/10, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

well I hope it works out for you bro. A BOSS would be the ultimate, but as we just learned from this comparo a brembo 5.0 is no slouch!
Yep I won't be disappointed at all if I am "stuck" with a regular 5.0. that is what I wanted in the first place and the boss would just be the extra icing on an already delicous cake . If not next year then I would just wait a couple of years and pick one up after someone decided they didn't want it and just let it rest in the garage under a cover only to be taken out on nice days and track events.
Old 8/24/10, 12:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
So you're that guy from Sweden who drives a Volvo LOL.....
haa haa and soon Mustang
Old 8/24/10, 01:03 AM
FR500 Member

Helloooo? Camaro SS, where are you? Mustang-killer indeed... 2011 MY will be no different other than a 'vert - which the GT 'vert will destroy. Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but couldn't help myself. Entertaining little read. Thanks for posting. Even though this 'Stang isn't for me, nice to see Ford stepping up its game. Next up, bring on the Boss for the rematch!
Old 8/24/10, 01:05 AM
V6 Member

Wow I was shocked at how polite and honest everyone was over there. I have never ever seen people be so positive about another car that is in one way or another competing in there car class.

I have a new respect for BMW owners now!
Old 8/24/10, 05:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Eh, forget the Camaro owners what are the Beemer owners saying?

I am a BMW and Ford man so it's a win win for me.
Old 8/24/10, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Evil
repeat after me...2011 Mustang GT, one of the best handling cars in the world.

2011 Mustang GT, one of the best handling GT cars in the world.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...on an open road course, the Mustang is proving to be basically brilliant which is just awesome to see... but I'm fairly certain that an honest sports car (without a back seat, etc) or even the M3 would kick the Mustang GT a new one on an exceptionally tight track, curvy back-country roads or on the autocross course.

It's still a big, relatively heavy car that carries most of it's weight on the front axle.

My 2011 GT is my favorite car that I've ever driven...but it's not the best handling.
Old 8/24/10, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only thing that bothers me is that when Ford quotes MPG they use the 3.31's, yet when they quote performance they use the 3.73's. Same test, 2 different gear sets. How are they allowed to get away with that?
Old 8/24/10, 06:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
The only thing that bothers me is that when Ford quotes MPG they use the 3.31's, yet when they quote performance they use the 3.73's. Same test, 2 different gear sets. How are they allowed to get away with that?
Both combinations are available to any buyer.
Old 8/24/10, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Both combinations are available to any buyer.
Yeah And? They aren't available at the SAME TIME. The advertising is inherently dishonest. No Mustang GT gets both 26mpg AND performs up to the specs given in that article. Yet, they allow them to quote both pieces of MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE data simultaneously.
Old 8/24/10, 07:00 AM

The offical EPA MPG for the Mustang GT with the different gear options are all the same. The 3.73 geared 6 speed manual gets the same MPG on paper as the 3.31 geared 6 speed manual according to the government.
Old 8/24/10, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
It's not Beemer, it's Bimmer!

Pardon me, that is my motorcycling background coming out.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2011 BMW M3 Coupe