2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/10, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's fantastic. The Boss is going to shame the Beemer!
Old 8/23/10, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome!! Remember there is also a Boss Mustang coming which is supposed to be more handling focused and a bit more powerful. Remember there is also a GT500 which is also even faster than the GT and Boss. Should be some good years for the mustang.
Old 8/23/10, 12:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eurocobra
Awesome!! Remember there is also a Boss Mustang coming which is supposed to be more handling focused and a bit more powerful. Remember there is also a GT500 which is also even faster than the GT and Boss. Should be some good years for the mustang.
Even as this is nearly Apples to Oranges, the GT500 is a blown engine. The M3 is not, the GT (Boss even) is much more a pure match up. More Apple to Apple if you will.

My only thing is and it's been mentioned on here before that a BMW will still drive like a BMW. The Mustang hasn't conquered that finesse and elegance, nor has it matched interior quality. BUT these are the "how much do you care?" areas. To me, the Mustang does the comfort and ergos very justifieably and will only get better. The BMW really does make you pay for those extra options. I know, I paid for one. One with squeezy kidney holsters that will expand if I am having a fat day if I want them to. It's a luxo machine that drives superbly and hauls ***. But I still want the Mustang. I REALLY want the BOSS!
Old 8/23/10, 12:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Even as this is nearly Apples to Oranges, the GT500 is a blown engine. The M3 is not, the GT (Boss even) is much more a pure match up. More Apple to Apple if you will.

My only thing is and it's been mentioned on here before that a BMW will still drive like a BMW. The Mustang hasn't conquered that finesse and elegance, nor has it matched interior quality. BUT these are the "how much do you care?" areas. To me, the Mustang does the comfort and ergos very justifieably and will only get better. The BMW really does make you pay for those extra options. I know, I paid for one. One with squeezy kidney holsters that will expand if I am having a fat day if I want them to. It's a luxo machine that drives superbly and hauls ***. But I still want the Mustang. I REALLY want the BOSS!
The only thing I disagree with you here is the interior. I think stang = 3 series interior IMO, but its a very subjective thing to measure
Old 8/23/10, 01:02 PM
GT Member

This is why i ordered a 2011 GT, its all in the numbers! My last car was a BMW! I was looking at getting a 335, which was 49k, discounted to 41500 at the end of year sale. Great car! However for the track, the GT is more of a car then a 335. As we also have seen, its right there with a M3. So now, just add a drop kit, and your in. Also, the M3 in the test had the track package option, new for 2011. If this test was done with a 2010 M3, the GT would may have won the day. Ronn

Last edited by Ronn; 8/23/10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 8/23/10, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

WOW kudos to Ford for building such an amazing machine at such a great price point!! This is huge message to the car community that the new Mustang can compete and even out do the M3.

What more could us Ford Mustang fans want????

This made my day!!
Old 8/23/10, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
As much as the '11 Mustang GT is shaping up to be a legend, there is one important measure in which it would never keep up with an M3-

Chick magnetism.

Regardless, it's nice to know that I bought the best performance car that I could afford and it's basically as good as the one I couldn't afford!!
Old 8/23/10, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

ZOMG!! Who could of ever guessed it, that the 5liter would be battling the M3? LOL

Way to go Ford!!!
Old 8/23/10, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
As much as the '11 Mustang GT is shaping up to be a legend, there is one important measure in which it would never keep up with an M3-

Chick magnetism.

Regardless, it's nice to know that I bought the best performance car that I could afford and it's basically as good as the one I couldn't afford!!
LOL, I can afford the M3 but no reason to spend the money when I like the GT just the same as the M3 if not more.....Chicks did the Mustang as well....
Old 8/23/10, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

id say a mustang will attract more of the girls you want to attract. luckily it kinda repels the ones that looks for guys with one thing........$$$$$
Old 8/23/10, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
id say a mustang will attract more of the girls you want to attract. luckily it kinda repels the ones that looks for guys with one thing........$$$$$
Exactly. The BMW attracts the gold diggers! :O The Mustang just attracts normal hot chicks! LOL

Either way it doesn't matter. If you have game, you can pull chicks while riding the bus or walking.
Old 8/23/10, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
The only thing I disagree with you here is the interior. I think stang = 3 series interior IMO, but its a very subjective thing to measure
I would certainly say that the E46 is very much out classed by the Mustang, the E90 isn't. Just on quality matierials is all. Not saying the E90 is laid out better or looks better because I favor the Mustang's heritage style dash. Just could do with not so rock hard plastic and make it look a little higher quality if that's what they are going for. If not then who cares, it's still nice. I'd like to have one covered in leather but that's just me. Could go the way of the DBS and cover it in Alcantara. I don't think this was really much of a comparison of the interiors though.

To have a GT from the factory that really does run with the big boys, that's pretty incredible in my book. I think BMW balances the braking better than the Mustang which would help contribute to that nose dive as well. Please Ford, I know the Front brakes mean the most but just for giggles lets put 14" Rotors and 4 piston calipers out back. I don't care that it stops shorter than the Camaro, we don't care about that car anymore, send your engineers over to the Maserati lot and check out the sports brakes on that GT.
Old 8/23/10, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm wondering if they had gone with a Base GT with only the Brembo package and the 3.73 gears (maybe another gear ratio would have been better on track?) if the Mustang would have edged out the BMW due the lower weight of a stripped down minimal option base GT, not to mention the $10k lower price of a base GT vs a loaded premium GT.
Old 8/23/10, 02:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, Ford should build a "Ultra-Premium" version of the GT.

Upgrade all soft interior surfaces with ultra high end leather, alcantara headliner, electronically adjustable struts/shocks, etc., etc....

They should be able to do it and sell it for about $45-$50K or so.

Then go back and blow the M3 off the track and out do it for luxury too!
Old 8/23/10, 02:38 PM
GT Member

the boss is gonna rip it a new one
Old 8/23/10, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

This is great. Five years ago I don't think anybody could have envisioned this is where the Ford Mustang would be, right up there with BMW M car performance.

To have a GT from the factory that really does run with the big boys, that's pretty incredible in my book. I think BMW balances the braking better than the Mustang which would help contribute to that nose dive as well. Please Ford, I know the Front brakes mean the most but just for giggles lets put 14" Rotors and 4 piston calipers out back. I don't care that it stops shorter than the Camaro, we don't care about that car anymore, send your engineers over to the Maserati lot and check out the sports brakes on that GT.
Totally. I don't know about 14 inch rotors, but the 12.2" 2-pistons from the 2010 GT would certainly be a reasonable upgrade.
Old 8/23/10, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

Chick magnetism.

Actually as my wife has some sort of limited psychic powers that pertain only to me seeing or worse yet speaking with an attractive woman, this actually works out to be a plus for me.
Old 8/23/10, 02:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I'm wondering if they had gone with a Base GT with only the Brembo package and the 3.73 gears (maybe another gear ratio would have been better on track?) if the Mustang would have edged out the BMW due the lower weight of a stripped down minimal option base GT, not to mention the $10k lower price of a base GT vs a loaded premium GT.
Just like mine and with a Steeda CAI/tune(on order) to add 44 horsepower and 52lbft would definitely have favored the GT.
Old 8/23/10, 02:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I would certainly say that the E46 is very much out classed by the Mustang, the E90 isn't. Just on quality matierials is all. Not saying the E90 is laid out better or looks better because I favor the Mustang's heritage style dash. Just could do with not so rock hard plastic and make it look a little higher quality if that's what they are going for. If not then who cares, it's still nice. I'd like to have one covered in leather but that's just me. Could go the way of the DBS and cover it in Alcantara. I don't think this was really much of a comparison of the interiors though.

hey I like my rock solid door panels that scratch if you run a pillow across them!

agreed kelsey
Old 8/23/10, 02:56 PM

Very impressive! And with $26K of beer money rattling around your pocket to boot. Seems like it is only a decent set of shocks and perhaps some pitch control away from fully besting the M3 on the track. I'd be interested to see what the off track, real world impressions are.

The new Boss will obviously take the podium next time this grudge match is run, though you may only have, say $20K to spend on suds.

As touched upon above, I think an interesting SE would be to take a lot of the Boss bits but combine them into a more understated, up-quality Stang to really get into the M3s realm, and then maybe only have a mere $15K to kill your liver.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2011 BMW M3 Coupe