Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010+ Info as far as we know

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/08, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT5088
personally, I think they should sell something similar to what the LX was to the fox body design. Just sell a stripped out mustang, 4.6L, manual, cloth seats, all plastic dash, AM/FM radio without cd player (maybe casette player), no cruise or tilt wheel, no bells or whistles, no body accents, two wheel choices, limited paint selection. And, only make a limited amount, I bet they would sell, especially if they were a set price since all of the options would be set, besides paint and wheels.
I believe you just described the 2005 Mustang GT deluxe (except for the availability of cruise control and all paints).

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 10/31/08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11/1/08, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally, I think they should sell something similar to what the LX was to the fox body design. Just sell a stripped out mustang, 4.6L, manual, cloth seats, all plastic dash, AM/FM radio without cd player (maybe casette player), no cruise or tilt wheel, no bells or whistles, no body accents, two wheel choices, limited paint selection. And, only make a limited amount, I bet they would sell, especially if they were a set price since all of the options would be set, besides paint and wheels.
This stripped out version as you describe would be more expensive, for the exact reason you don't find rolled up windows anymore- it requires two separate door panels, meaning two separate tools, and adds complexity to the assembly process. It's actually cheaper to add power windows to everything. Ford learned something Honda learned from Ford: the more automated the assembly process is, the cheaper the cost to assemble it.

So no different dash or cassette radio or non-tilt wheel- these would need specially made. But the cloth seats, manual, no bells/whistles two wheel selection is already available- the base V6 or GT w/ no options....
Old 11/2/08, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAS ANYONE HEARD IF THE 2010 MUSTANG GT WILL HAVE

upgraded brakes from previous generation... the ones on currently in my opinion are terrible
Old 11/3/08, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

I don't think they will have upgraded brakes until they change the drivetrain in 2011...but thats just my .02
Old 11/3/08, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
Wait a minute…

So you have a huge problem with Ford adding optional whiz-bang gadgets to the Mustang, but are fine with them adding AWD to the mix? A feature that by its very nature fundamentally changes the definition of what a Mustang IS?

Not following that logic at all.
Pay closer attention, Coop. I like performance options, but not yuppie electronic toys ..

I DO like electronic fuel injection, however, because it makes the Mustang better. AWD, especially if it's a mechanical system similar to the all-mechanical system in my '66 Bronco but forty-two years more modern, could make a better Mustang. But in a special edition--not in the standard Mustang GT...

Greg "Eights" Ates

Last edited by adrenalin; 11/3/08 at 10:56 AM. Reason: bypassing language filter
Old 11/3/08, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Eights
Pay closer attention, Coop. I like performance options, but not yuppie electronic toys ..
Fair enough.

Aaron "Ooh look! Something shiny!" Cooper

Old 11/7/08, 02:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Do you guys think Ford latest economic turmoil will perhaps cancel future Mustang projects or even the now legendary 5.0 we have been hearing about? I don't want to be a negative nelly but GM canceling and delaying several models worries me since Ford is not far off from GM.

I'm starting to expect that the S197 platform will be around a lot longer than expected. I sure hope the all the development and tooling is already paid for because I have a feeling the 4.6 may be around as long as the old pushrod 5.0 if the auto industry doesn't turn around soon!
Old 11/7/08, 03:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Do you guys think Ford latest economic turmoil will perhaps cancel future Mustang projects or even the now legendary 5.0 we have been hearing about? I don't want to be a negative nelly but GM canceling and delaying several models worries me since Ford is not far off from GM.

I'm starting to expect that the S197 platform will be around a lot longer than expected. I sure hope the all the development and tooling is already paid for because I have a feeling the 4.6 may be around as long as the old pushrod 5.0 if the auto industry doesn't turn around soon!
No, by the 2014.5 redesign Ford will either be back on its feet or dead. Delaying one of their best-selling models won't help that situation. Mulally seems confident they have enough cash to get beyond the current Crisis, and their plan to get back in the Black includes improving their lineup not sitting pat.
Old 11/7/08, 09:50 PM

Old 11/7/08, 10:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk

Count me in too.
Old 11/8/08, 06:00 AM
Cobra Member

lets hope
Old 11/8/08, 05:54 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
No, by the 2014.5 redesign Ford will either be back on its feet or dead. Delaying one of their best-selling models won't help that situation. Mulally seems confident they have enough cash to get beyond the current Crisis, and their plan to get back in the Black includes improving their lineup not sitting pat.
Well, the 2010 is locked-in, so the only changes there might be in engine choices. And the 2014 is far enough ahead, that if Ford survives the next four years, future models will likely be fine...though options and powertrains may go through reevaluations.
Old 11/9/08, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

I doubt Ford would ever substantially cut R & D to the Mustang entity....too much pressure, especially financially...it is what Ford is most known for. I know this analogy may be strong, but cutting resources to the mustang would be like starving the golden goose...why would anyone do it?
Old 11/10/08, 09:16 AM
Cobra R Member

I doubt Ford would ever substantially cut R & D to the Mustang entity....too much pressure, especially financially...it is what Ford is most known for. I know this analogy may be strong, but cutting resources to the mustang would be like starving the golden goose...why would anyone do it?
I kinda disagree with your statement. Though I agree it is foolish to cut funding to Ford's flagship it has been done numerous times in the past. Think about it Ford used the same basic fox-body structure from 1979-2004! Cutbacks where made in the late 80s again with the 94' and 99' restyles. Cars like the 03-04 Cobra and 00' Cobra R are engineering miracles because they were able to do so much with such an outdated platform. Last I checked didn't Ford cut the IRS from the 05' Mustang last minute?

I hate to say this but Ford can still sell Mustangs even if they make cutbacks and give us compromised vehicles. Compared to other sports cars, Ford does very little year to year. Cars like the Corvette, 350Z, RX8 etc. make small tweaks every couple years while Ford has marched on with a basically unchanged 05 model into 2009! My main concern is that Ford may ax the global RWD platform all together and continue the current S-197 for a much longer period. Think about it back in 1979 did people think that an 04' Mustang would still ride on the same Fox chassis?
Old 11/10/08, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

"Think about it back in 1979 did people think that an 04' Mustang would still ride on the same Fox chassis?"

Absolutely not! I was anxious to buy a brand-new, ground-up '79 Mustang after I wrecked my '76 Cobra II in May, '78. When I saw the finished product, and read the reviews, I decided to skip a generation & wait for the next restyle.

Little did I know I'd have to wait 15 years!! Tried as hard as I could, as a life-long, dyed-in-the-wool Mustang fan, but I could never bring myself to buy a Fox Mustang. I was so happy to see the '94 redesign that I could overlooked the warmed-over Fox platform - for a while.

But the S197 was a long-overdo breath of fresh air.

That said, though, worst-case scenario (other than complete cancellation - God forbid!!) would be continuing the S197 platform far longer than originally intended, perhaps even as long as the Fox and its derivatives. But in this instance the S197 is actually a very good platform to start with. Not so the Fox...
Old 11/10/08, 10:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
"Think about it back in 1979 did people think that an 04' Mustang would still ride on the same Fox chassis?"

Absolutely not! I was anxious to buy a brand-new, ground-up '79 Mustang after I wrecked my '76 Cobra II in May, '78. When I saw the finished product, and read the reviews, I decided to skip a generation & wait for the next restyle.

Little did I know I'd have to wait 15 years!! Tried as hard as I could, as a life-long, dyed-in-the-wool Mustang fan, but I could never bring myself to buy a Fox Mustang. I was so happy to see the '94 redesign that I could overlooked the warmed-over Fox platform - for a while.

But the S197 was a long-overdo breath of fresh air.

That said, though, worst-case scenario (other than complete cancellation - God forbid!!) would be continuing the S197 platform far longer than originally intended, perhaps even as long as the Fox and its derivatives. But in this instance the S197 is actually a very good platform to start with. Not so the Fox...
The S197 is a good platform now but maybe 5-10 years from now it won't be. At the time the Fox body came out the car was praised for being state of the art. Also from what we hear the Camaro, with the benefit of coming later has a supposed better platform than our current Mustang. The global platform was to remedy this but now I feel all bets are off! Circuit City just filed for bankruptcy and I don't see Ford and GM being far off!

All i'm saying is don't be surprised if the all-new Mustang for 2014 or whatever year is pushed back. We were expected to get an all new platform in 94' and again in 99' and we didn't get one until 05'. Unlike then Ford actually has financial reasons to cut back these projects, while before the old platform continued to be a low cost to produce and profitable vehicle. I have a feeling that most 05' Mustang owners won't have buyers remorse because I don't see any radical changes for a long time.

CHEERS TO ALL THE 2005-09 OWNERS! (Hope to be one in the not so distant future!)
Old 11/10/08, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Man I hope the 2014 will have a 5.0 400hp+, or I will be mad. Dang, in 2014, I'll be 20....
Old 11/10/08, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be pushing forty. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks a lot.
Old 11/10/08, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

LOL, 20 is almost drinking age.
Old 11/10/08, 10:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Wow the only possible good thing I can think about being that much older is perhaps I, and the rest of the country will be in more of a stable position. I'm hoping by 2014, I'll be established enough in my career to own a new GT500 hybrid with 650HP and 100MPG .

Oh yeah and my 97' GT will almost be considered a classic, thats a scary thought!

Quick Reply: 2010+ Info as far as we know