Old 1/10/14, 12:05 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is Ford tracking you with GPS?

Did he really slip or...?

Ford exec apologizes for saying company tracks customers with GPS

January 9, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Karl Henkel and David Shepardson

Ford Motor Co. marketing chief Jim Farley on Thursday apologized for a remark he made Wednesday saying the Dearborn automaker tracks customers through in-car navigation devices.

Farley, the headliner at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, said Ford knows where and when customers drive their vehicles, but does not sell that information to third parties.

“We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you’re doing it,” Farley said, according to a report in Business Insider. “We have GPS in your car, so we know what you’re doing. By the way, we don’t supply that data to anyone.”

Ford on Thursday denounced those comments.

“Ford is absolutely committed to protecting our customers’ privacy,” company spokesman Wes Sherwood said. “We do not track our customers. No data is transmitted from the vehicle without the customer’s express consent.”

Customers give consent when they use a navigation or voice-activated system.

Farley on Thursday apologized in an interview with CNBC. “We don’t monitor, aggregate data on how people drive. I’ve given people the wrong impression, I regret that,” he said.

His comments coincide with a warning from AAA, which this week urged companies to protect consumer data used in GPS systems.

“The data that today can be routinely collected by cars includes some of the most sensitive data that can be collected about a person, including information about their precise location and driving habits,” said Bob Darbelnet, president and CEO of AAA.

And a government report released Monday found that major automakers are keeping information about where drivers have been, via data collected from onboard navigation systems. The Government Accountability Office said the automakers have differing policies about how much data they collect and how long they keep it.

Automakers collect location data in order to provide drivers with real-time traffic information, help find the nearest gas station or restaurant, and provide emergency roadside assistance and stolen vehicle tracking. But, the report found, “If companies retained data, they did not allow consumers to request that their data be deleted, which is a recommended practice.”

The report reviewed practices of Detroit’s Big Three automakers, Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. It also looked at navigation system makers Garmin and TomTom and app developers Google Maps and Telenav. The report, which didn’t identify policies of individual companies, found automakers had taken steps to protect privacy and were not selling personal data of owners.

The agency said privacy advocates worry location data could be used to market to individuals and to “track where consumers are, which can in turn be used to steal their identity, stalk them or monitor them without their knowledge.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...01090127/1361/

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/10/14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 1/10/14, 01:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure they do as well as your phone carrier or any GPS based gadget. Fear the reaper. In other words if you are concerned about what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing it.
Old 1/10/14, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Black box to be standard in autos by 2014....https://autos.aol.com/article/black-...ndard-by-2014/

Last edited by Darth Lascivious; 1/10/14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 1/10/14, 01:58 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lascivious
In other words if you are concerned about what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing it.
And if I'm not concerned it should be no one else's business!
Old 1/10/14, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not news. GM has been doing it for years through onstar. phone company does it on our phones. I think my wife drugged me and put a tracker inside me, actually.
Old 1/10/14, 02:26 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
not news. GM has been doing it for years through onstar. phone company does it on our phones. I think my wife drugged me and put a tracker inside me, actually.
Old 1/10/14, 02:47 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Darth Lascivious
Sure they do as well as your phone carrier or any GPS based gadget. Fear the reaper. In other words if you are concerned about what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing it.
You assume a lot. I know my declination, do you?

And a person's right to privacy is NOT a crime.
Old 1/10/14, 02:48 PM
Post *****

So you are denying the official denial?
Old 1/10/14, 09:25 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
You assume a lot. I know my declination, do you? And a person's right to privacy is NOT a crime.
Soo...you're off the grid?
Old 1/11/14, 09:34 AM

So if you don't have the factory navigation they can't track you? Or have they built the GPS into every car whether or not you have a nav system? I wondered about that reading about how they can remotely shut down cars for theft recovery? Anyone know?
Old 1/11/14, 12:22 PM

You are being tracked. Fight it as best you can but learn to live with it.
It's a part of life in these modern times.
Old 1/11/14, 12:30 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Soo...you're off the grid?
No devices or gps anything. Don't need it.

Originally Posted by midlife-stanger
You are being tracked. Fight it as best you can but learn to live with it.
It's a part of life in these modern times.
I say quit rolling over to jackwads like zuckerberg et al. Obviously Ford realizes their spokesman created a fiasco and went into damage control - now customers need to hold their feet to the fire.

When the government and corporations get enough flack from law abiding citizens who treasure their right to privacy, they'll roll back. Even the courts are starting to stand up for rights to privacy concerning 'new' technologies. If the government has reason to want to know something about people, they can either ask openly or get a ****ing warrant. That's the procedure in the United States of America - vs Russia or other tin horn dictatorships.

What other rights are you going to just give up on?

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/11/14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 1/12/14, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
True Gary disconnected his and they called him to say hook it back , ah no my car bugger off ! He told them .God bless Texas
Old 1/13/14, 07:58 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
True Gary disconnected his and they called him to say hook it back , ah no my car bugger off ! He told them .God bless Texas
This is Texas. No "bugger off" here lol
The best you thing you can say is pull out your chrome .44 magnum, show your gun carry permit and walk off