SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Resurrection of the GT..... Again

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/09, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt Calipers arrived the same day as the wheels. Now I'm waiting on rotors. I might go ahead and spring for a set of new A-arms since the stocker's bushings are shot and doing just bushings is a PITA. I'm still waiting on the heads, but I think I might go ahead and start tearing her down this week. She's on 4 wheels and I rolled her into my stall at work for storage over the weekend. I still have to get that left over FR500 off as well....
Old 12/25/09, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey man I ordered my Bullitt calipers too. And a set of rotors from RotorPros. Should be in next week. Hopefully picking up a set of 10th Anniv wheels too haha. Oem ones though, powdercoated black.
Old 12/25/09, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Poisoned Pony
Bullitt Calipers arrived the same day as the wheels. Now I'm waiting on rotors. I might go ahead and spring for a set of new A-arms since the stocker's bushings are shot and doing just bushings is a PITA. I'm still waiting on the heads, but I think I might go ahead and start tearing her down this week. She's on 4 wheels and I rolled her into my stall at work for storage over the weekend. I still have to get that left over FR500 off as well....
I'd PM Arin about control arms. We replaced his stockers with Cobra ones and he could not feel a difference. His car probably only had about 20k miles on when we did the swap so maybe you could take those off his hands.
Old 12/26/09, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
I'd PM Arin about control arms. We replaced his stockers with Cobra ones and he could not feel a difference. His car probably only had about 20k miles on when we did the swap so maybe you could take those off his hands.
how'd did the bushings look when you guys pulled them off? If they weren't trashed, I may pick them up off of him if he's willing to sell
Old 12/26/09, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

so I thought I should give you guys an introduction to my GT. My 1st thread about the build up on my GT was lost in the crash and there's a few new people here who are probably lost in the sauce as to the history of my ride and such. So without further ado, here's the story of a GT named Evil.

I bought my 2000 GT in April 2006 as a gift to myself after getting PRK eye surgery done and having 20/20 vision for the 1st time in 20 years. I was in the Army at the time, stationed at Ft Hood,TX and I was in need of transportation. I'm no stranger to Mustangs, the GT is my 5th one. My 1st being a '92 GT, followed by a '89 GT, a '96 SVT Cobra and a '03 Mach 1.

A couple months later, I deployed to Iraq and left the GT at a Mustang shop in San Antonio to have some mods done while I was away. I had the 8.8 built with Moser 31 spline axles, a FRPP HD diff, FRPP rear gridle and FRPP 4.10s. The exhaust was done up with BBK long tube headers, BBK catted X-pipe and a Magnaflow catback. I went ahead and had her cammed up with VT Stage 1 N/A cams and replaced all the timing components with new Ford parts. Suspension, she got slammed on H&R Super Sport springs, Koni yellows and Maxiumum Motorsports C/C springs. The stock rims exited in favor of some 17x9 and 17x10.5 DD Bullitts.

Following my deployment, I was discharged from the Army and I moved home to California to use my GI Bill and attend Universal Technicial Institute in Sacramento in April 2008. Prior to the Army, I worked in the auto industry for 6 years and I wanted to continue it. While attending there, I added Steeda LCAs and Bilsteins as a under-car lab project and I sold the Bullitts in favor for some 18x9 and 18x10 FR500s. A Trick Flow plenum, 70mm TB, Lightning MAF and Zex nitrous kit found its way on my car in August 2008 and a freeway run-in with a S197 in November 2008 put a hurting on my ride. The motor finally expired January 2009 and the a choice had to be made.

I purchased a Romeo based shortblock from a 2004 Crown Vic. It was removed of its stock internals, bored .020" over and filled with a forged Cobra crank, MMR billet rods and Diamond pistons. With a -11.5cc dish, the compression was set at 10:1 with stock PI heads. I carried everything else over.

on May 2nd, 2009. Evil was resurrected from the depths of my garage.

Following months had plenty of teething problems between freeze plugs popping off, a King Cobra clutch calling it quits and a problem with the valve seals letting lots of oil get passed. The car is currently down while I wait on Trick Flow heads and Comp 270 cams for the next resurrection.
Old 12/26/09, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

and now some visual history.

the 1st night I owned the car. April 2006

After my Iraq deployment, this is how she looked

Arrival in California and a switch to FRs

With my brother's 2007 GT

Bolt-on fun

Old 12/26/09, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

The rebuild

Disassembly

test fitting the Cobra crank in the Romeo block

Pistons arrive

Out comes the wounded motor, a naked engine bay and breakdown of the old motor

Block and crank come home from the machine shop

MMR Connecting rods arrive

Old 12/26/09, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Assembly of the forged shortblock

Cams timed up

New engine goes in

Resurrected
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmN151pzBss

Old 12/26/09, 07:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey man. Looks like I'll be following in your footsteps a little. Went to Ford to have my spark plugs changed. Apparently the place I had my headers done, pulled the plugs and put one back in crooked. Ford couldn't get it out and it broke in the head. I'm going to source out a used V6 head from MPS to get me running, but soon an order to Super Six Motorsports is going to be placed for a Power Pak with new intakes, heads, crank, cam, rods, pistons, valves, etc.
Old 12/28/09, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cams arrive tomorrow. I'm gonna give MMR a buzz tomorrow and see if my heads are on the way yet. I drained the fluids in the GT today at work, but I'm waiting til the heads arrive to pull the motor out. My dealership doesn't have a luxury of space, so when the engine comes out, it'll be sitting in my stall getting in my way.

Spy pics:

Old 12/30/09, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

the cams arrived yesterday. Called MMR and they said nothing was being shipped to them til after the holidays. My heads are suppose to arrive to them from Trick Flow next week, but that will be known for sure next monday/tuesday. If they don't arrive at MMR next week, I'm canceling my order and looking elsewhere for these heads.
Old 1/3/10, 08:19 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I love the look of the new rims! It's like a black cobra :evil:
Old 1/4/10, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

called up MMR today, was told the heads were arriving there this week and once they arrived they will be put on a UPS truck headed for me
Old 1/5/10, 01:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 1/6/10, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

heads are on the way from the distributor to MMR. Hoping for arrival tomorrow or friday. So I should have them next week meaning the tear down and the pulling of the engine starts now!
Old 1/7/10, 12:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that's what I like to hear.

Anything else in the mix right now or is this "strictly a headswap."
Old 1/7/10, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
Now that's what I like to hear.

Anything else in the mix right now or is this "strictly a headswap."
stepping up to ARP headstuds. The VT Stage 1's are gone in favor for Comp 270's. And I'm doing a suspension rebuild. Right now, I have a repaint lined up, but I keep having to push it back due to the backorder of the heads
Old 1/12/10, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

apparently MMR is lying because when I called friday, they hadn't recieved jack. I'm calling again today and if they don't have my heads yet or any concret info, the order is being cancelled. Summit has the 185 heads in stock which from what I read is no difference from the street/strip heads
Old 1/12/10, 04:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Poisoned Pony
apparently MMR is lying because when I called friday, they hadn't recieved jack. I'm calling again today and if they don't have my heads yet or any concret info, the order is being cancelled. Summit has the 185 heads in stock which from what I read is no difference from the street/strip heads

Of course they lied. Thats a pretty large order that I'm sure they dont want to loose. But I would cancel it too.
Old 1/12/10, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Today's update:

Car: everything is pretty much ready for the motor to be pulled. We thought about leaving the motor in and pulling the headers as a couple techs at work did this before with a '03 Cobra we sold that had LT's. It will be a game time decision I think. Either way, that will be tomorrow.

Heads: in a word, ugh. Called MMR and finally got a date. Sadly, it's one I don't want. January 22nd. I'm calling back tomorrow, biting the restock fee bullet and cancelling the order. Summit just got my order.

Quick Reply: Resurrection of the GT..... Again