SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

2001 Bullitt #3006

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/12, 12:22 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
get the green tape. its a little more expensive, but its super easy to take on and off and reapply. You'll be fine

I remember doing Pete's white GT's hood, and that was a bit harder because the creases were a little softer than on our cars.

For the letters though I actually only masked a rectangle around and sprayed the whole thing lol. Went in with an exacto and lightly scored. Peeled apart really nice afterwards. I found scoring it at the masking point as well is a pretty good idea, since sometimes it sticks to the spray that went on to the mask. I guess its more resilient than paint lol.

The emblems didn't even need that much work. again went with a rectangle, but I just started peeling and the tight radius that the surface of the plastidip has to deal with makes it easy to tear there. Pllus, theres a bit of a gap between the emblem and the car body itself so if there is a slight amount of overhang or a piece you just cant rip off, you can tuck it behind the badge

Last edited by future9er24; 12/30/12 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12/30/12, 12:27 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
it's wonderful stuff. Did my car a while back, and my sister's this past weekend. I'll need to redo hers as it apparently didn't sit up as it should have, but super cheap, easy, and reversible mods!
Old 12/30/12, 12:28 AM
NTTAWWT

As for the peeling off with the paint, if you want to peel the tape as soon as you spray the layer, it doesnt peel off with the tape, but I find it a waste of tape when you can just razor blade the edge.
Old 12/30/12, 12:38 AM
Post *****

I usually wait til its try before tape removal just because I'm clumsy and I just know I'll do something like let the dangling tape ruin the finish. but then again, thats a bit more relevant with paint than dip, but old habits lol..

For the rest of the stuff the tape just minimized overspray and held newspaper in place. I think I'll probably be taping again for the hood, just because razoring on a radiused surface edge like that is probably going to be a

And since its reversible.. think of the pranking possibility! I've always thought my mom's X3 needs flames...
Old 12/30/12, 12:42 AM
NTTAWWT

oh man, I hadn't even thought of using it in a prank! I'm gonna find of my friends that drive a very typical sedan, and when they get drunk one night and grab a taxi home, I'm gonna spray their car to make them think they were towed or something.
Old 12/30/12, 12:46 AM
Post *****

Post-its are so last season anyway

I can think of a few minivans I know that very much need racing stripes

Old 12/30/12, 01:03 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
I usually wait til its try before tape removal just because I'm clumsy and I just know I'll do something like let the dangling tape ruin the finish. but then again, thats a bit more relevant with paint than dip, but old habits lol..

For the rest of the stuff the tape just minimized overspray and held newspaper in place. I think I'll probably be taping again for the hood, just because razoring on a radiused surface edge like that is probably going to be a

And since its reversible.. think of the pranking possibility! I've always thought my mom's X3 needs flames...
Old 12/30/12, 04:28 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
So I decided to have a little fun since the Bullitt's parked
Looks good! I think the hood idea might look darn good with the thin "pinstripe" at the edge layout (like mine) as well!
Old 12/30/12, 09:28 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your car have the front grill in or an aftermarket grill? If you have the stock one you should do the front horse black.
Old 12/30/12, 12:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Looks good! I think the hood idea might look darn good with the thin "pinstripe" at the edge layout (like mine) as well!
A man after my own heart... That was my plan Thanks for the inspiration lol.

Originally Posted by Knight
Does your car have the front grill in or an aftermarket grill? If you have the stock one you should do the front horse black.
No grill at the moment. the stock grill is in my parents garage. I DO have my black chrome 10+ horse though... might finally be time to mount it.
Old 1/1/13, 10:15 PM
Post *****

Car is at the shop as of yesterday, waiting on them to press out the stock worn ball joints and press in the X2s. On top of that there was a used steeda swaybar for sale locallythat I grabbed for $100. Once I get the car back I'll bolt that sucker on there too
Old 1/3/13, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Car is at the shop as of yesterday, waiting on them to press out the stock worn ball joints and press in the X2s. On top of that there was a used steeda swaybar for sale locallythat I grabbed for $100. Once I get the car back I'll bolt that sucker on there too
Nice find dude
Old 1/4/13, 08:04 PM
Post *****

Got the car back today. The shop wasn't good at returning calls, but the work and customer service in person was pretty sweet.

Anyhoo, haven't gotten the swaybar on yet, but I did throw some more plastidip at the car

and one more at night

Theres some tigerstriping that you can see in some of the pictures, only really when the light hits it just so. I'm just going to spray over a few more coats another day. For now, I'm pretty happy with it. theres a few small wrinkles and tears that you can kinda see in the pics, but I blame them more on my dull xacto more than anything else.
Old 1/4/13, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ahhh yeah!
Old 1/4/13, 08:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy cow what happened to the front drivers side?!
Old 1/4/13, 08:21 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cpotts13
Holy cow what happened to the front drivers side?!
many moons ago... That damage has me thinking widebody eventually though

yeah, but its not a good one

I hadn't mentioned it yet because i haven't had time to deal with it yet, but I got into another crash a few weeks ago. I had gone home to talk to the shop thats doing the II and just spend some time at home for a dday. on my way back up to berkeley, i decided, for old times sake, i would drive up to the old lookout on skyline. it was 5pm anyway, so i would have hit traffic. i figured go up to skyline, read for a little, enjoy the view and come back down and go home. it all went according to plan until the drive back down.

for those that know, skyline is a pretty twisty road in some parts. but anyhow..

i was going around a fairly easy bend. speed limit in this area is 50mph and beleive me when i say thats not even pushing it. i was tired and didnt feel like driving fast on the way down. besides, downhills scare me in a car as heavy as the bullitt. Now, the road seemed dry all day, when parked, on the drive up and it had been a hot day too. it really was dry. but in the middle of this easy right hander there was a wet patch i didnt see. i only noticed it after the crash.

so in the middle of the right hander, i feel the car starting to slide, so i hit the brakes, but the car kept rotating to the right. before i knew it the front wheels were in the mud and the car was just sliding full on sideways. i came to a pretty hard stop and it spun the car around, so now im in a ditch on the right side of the road, but facing the wrong way. the cars front end had been sliding along in the mud until the drivers door/rocker area smashed into a pretty big rock. the motor still ran fune, there was no leaks or anything that i could see. i tried to drive it out, but the mud plus V8 torque and summer tires didn't really help.

the front bumper was torn off. my carbon fiber grill piece is gone forever. the fender is a bit dented (drivers) and the door has a fat dent in it at the bottom, near the rocker. the rocker straight up shattered and the floor was also impacted. that was all the cosmetic damage.

as far as mechanically, i really lucked out. ive been under the car and looking around and not only is the body and chassis still straight (thank you SFCs!) but the only part that actually broke was the drivers side tie rod. I'll be fixing it next weekend that i go home. as far as cosmetics, those are not getting fixed. i will either find a new bumper and put it on or find a way to reattach the stock one. the mounts were sheared off but for the time being i think some zipties are in order. the drivers front tire is flat and the drivers rear is dismounted, but no big damage to the wheels or anything

its not gonna be pretty, but at least the car works. the radiator support and all that is unharmed. the motor has no problems running and luckily for me i have lifetime alignment at firestone, so after i fix it it'll be a short drive to firestone and she'll be driving fine again. i felt sick to my stomach for days. i couldnt beleive i had crashed that poor car AGAIN

but a credit to the SN95, the underside, aside from the impact zone, is straight. and i swear to god i am never going to have a sports car without racign harnesses again. they will be the first thing going in the II when its back. the impact was hard. but i didnt budge an inch. i could have hit my head on the glass and shattered it or hit the wheel or what have you, but the seats and harnesses kept me from going anywhere. i was completely (physically) unhurt.

I'll post pictures in a few
the carnage...

Old 1/4/13, 08:21 PM
NTTAWWT

looks good man
Old 1/4/13, 08:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Ahhh yeah!
Originally Posted by StangMahn
looks good man
Thanks guys
I have to say, even just driving back to berkeley today, car gets a lot more attention than it used to lol
Old 1/4/13, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
God that poor car. You've absolutely destroyed it!
Old 1/4/13, 09:27 PM
Post *****

Steve McQueen crashed his Bullitt. Makes it more authentic don't you think?

But yeah, after having gone through that, repeatedly, I am probably the most defensive driver I know. That, and motorcycles.

Remember guys, always check your tires Should go without saying, but its not a lesson I've allowed myself to forget.

Quick Reply: 2001 Bullitt #3006