05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Window tint with felt installed with pics

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/06, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did it with Tread last night. Was pretty simple, though I lacked the pulling power to get the runner out.

I think the hardest part was lifting the door panel up and over the runner. Had to get a screw driver underneath the panel and lift up (not pry).

Now to see how long the felt will last in a Texas summer.
Old 4/27/06, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 27, 2006, 7:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
Good job! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Hope it stays on through the Texas heat. It should, it's all in the prep.
Old 4/28/06, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would there be anything wrong with not having the wipe channel in there at all? It wouldn't be able to scratch your window and you wouldn't have to mess with the felt.
Old 4/28/06, 07:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rips-stang @ April 28, 2006, 5:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Would there be anything wrong with not having the wipe channel in there at all? It wouldn't be able to scratch your window and you wouldn't have to mess with the felt.
[/b][/quote]
I think the wipe channel holds the window stable as it goes up and down and keeps debris from falling down into the door.
Old 5/4/06, 12:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 27, 2006, 9:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just did it with Tread last night. Was pretty simple, though I lacked the pulling power to get the runner out.

I think the hardest part was lifting the door panel up and over the runner. Had to get a screw driver underneath the panel and lift up (not pry).

[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the help Ghost! Once we figured out what we needed to do to get the door panel out of the way it all went pretty smooth. Atleast when we remembered to put it back together right, that is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I had my tint replaced a couple days ago so we'll see how well this works. Thanks again to TacoBill for the pics and instructions!
Old 5/4/06, 07:27 AM

No prob, Jimmy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Hope it lasts for the long run for all of us, or my name will be mud. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bat.gif[/img]
Old 5/4/06, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

is this good to use, this is all i can find > http://www.officedepot.com/products/Tape-R...x-Black/617704/
Old 5/4/06, 04:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(199 @ May 4, 2006, 10:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
is this good to use, this is all i can find > http://www.officedepot.com/products/Tape-R...x-Black/617704/
[/b][/quote]
Not sure, cant find the ol' run of the mill velcro?

The one used on mine is the 'typical' velcro, felt/fuzzy side on one and hook type on the other.

The only thing I don't get from that description is the 30% thinner and smooth? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 5/5/06, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

this is all i can find a pic is attached,, the link to the officedepot website is what seems to be the same product,,

TacoBill can you show me a website with what they might have used for your car
Old 5/5/06, 07:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(199 @ May 5, 2006, 6:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
this is all i can find a pic is attached,, the link to the officedepot website is what seems to be the same product,,

TacoBill can you show me a website with what they might have used for your car
[/b][/quote]
That will work. It was the standard 3/4" wide velcro tape they used.

Be sure to properly prep that wipe channel surface (light sand/scuff and wipe down with alcohol) to ensure proper adhesion of the felt.

If me, I would stick with the name brand (Velcro) as they may use the highest quality adhesive.
I have no idea what brand was used on mine, but the surface was prepped as stated above.

Good luck! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 5/10/06, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I just put my felt on tonight after 3 weeks of having tint on my windows and not rolling my windows down. Thanks Taco and everyone for their knowledge, it all helped immensly.

The only question I have is that now the window motor seems to struggle harder( based on sound) to get the window up. I may just be hearing things as I havent heard the window go up or down for 3 weeks. Do you think the extra width of the channel pushing on the window could make it harder to push up? Or is that just goofy?
Old 5/11/06, 12:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mine seems like it slides up and down easier. I would think there would be less friction with felt.
Old 5/20/06, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by hatchttu
... Do you think the extra width of the channel pushing on the window could make it harder to push up? Or is that just goofy?
First time I've heard of a possible extra strain on the window motor from a felt install, so I'd say it's highly improbable. If a motor strain exists, it may be caused by something else.
Old 5/25/06, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really appreciate this thread. I was warned several times to do the felt install now, so I did it an hour or so ago and made a quick web page with some pics and how I did it. Let me know if this helps or if you want anything added.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dperus...eltinstall.htm

The only time I ever rolled down the window without felt was to do this install.

edit:After reading page 1 again, my page doesn't look any better. Oh well, I'll leave it anyway.
Old 5/25/06, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ttbit
I really appreciate this thread. I was warned several times to do the felt install now, so I did it an hour or so ago and made a quick web page with some pics and how I did it. Let me know if this helps or if you want anything added.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dperus...eltinstall.htm

The only time I ever rolled down the window without felt was to do this install.
Webpage looks great!

When I started this thread, I thought maybe 1 person will try and install the Velcro felt the way mine was put on. To my surprise, I had a pretty good following.

I wish I can take all the credit, but I can't. It's the guys down at Classic Tint that takes the credit. I was just there to snap pictures and document.

btw- Thanks for the disclaimer!
Old 5/25/06, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
btw- Thanks for the disclaimer!

I'm just glad someone shared this info before my tint was destroyed.
Old 5/28/06, 02:38 PM

Great web page! Another product to use is made by Duro-Felt (durofelt.com), comes in 25 ft. roll and is only $6 delivered. Item # is SAS38BK-25. I installed it yesterday and worked great!

John
Old 9/18/06, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed the felt a while ago thinking i was going to get my windows tinted soon... well i still havent gotten them tinted and in the Lousisiana heat it started to melt onto my window and the velcro slid down the chanel. so i decided to remove it... getting the stickyness away took a while but i got it done... i'll post some pics later but i was wondering if anyone knew how to get teh window to not roll down when the door opens so i can clean a little bit lower?
Old 9/18/06, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by loserpunk603
I... I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the window to not roll down when the door opens so i can clean a little bit lower?
You'll have to 'trick' the door. Although I haven't done this myself, I've seen it done. You'll have to open the door and use a tool like a screwdriver and manually engage the door lock mechanism. This will 'trick' the window and make it go all the way up.

Don't forget to unlock the door to lower the window before you shut the door, or else!

If you have to reset the window up/down feature when opening/closing the door, get inside, turn the key to the 'ON' position, lower the window all the way down, then immediately hold the up (window) switch until it reaches all the way up and keep holding the switch up for an additional 2 seconds or so. Done. Now, when you open the door, the window should crack down a bit.
Old 9/18/06, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

here's the pic of the velcro sliding

another

and it clean (blury, but clean)

to remove it i removed the chanel, brought it in inside. used the sticky side of the velcro i pulled off to help pull up some of the adhesive then i used wd-40 to pick up the rest...

when i put it back together some of the adhesive moved smeared on teh window... roll it up and down a few times then clean the window after a few times most it should stop smearing

Quick Reply: Window tint with felt installed with pics