05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Window tint with felt installed with pics

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/06, 03:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the felt strips on myself about a month ago. It was very easy. As has been mentioned, the door panel basically has "pop-off" parts along with 2 torx screws (these are different than your normal flat or phillips head screws). You can usually work these out with an allan wrench fairly easily if you don't have the proper torx screwdriver. The rubber strip just pulls right out. You stick the felt on, then pop it back in.
Old 4/14/06, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

how many screws do we have to unscrew??? 2 or 3

"WuTimeUT" said 3
"TacoBill" said 2

this is one were is the other screw???
Old 4/14/06, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Oh poop! I forgot about the 8 phillips head screws! My bad. Yeah, there are 2 torx screws and 8 phillips heads that you have to remove to get the panel off (along with the pop-off parts).
Old 4/14/06, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Great article. Thanks for the pictures and the crew who did the work. Was looking to see how to do them myself and now I am ready. My current tint is scratched all to heck and getting nowhere with the place that did the first tint job. Well in most cases with cars,if you want it done right do it yourself. Once again great job. Thanks.
Old 4/14/06, 09:49 PM
Cobra R Member

ME TOO Thanks for that great write up. Now all of us can do it. You get five stars for this!!!
Old 4/14/06, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(199 @ April 14, 2006, 4:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
how many screws do we have to unscrew??? 2 or 3

"WuTimeUT" said 3
"TacoBill" said 2

this is one were is the other screw???
[/b][/quote]
I also said '3'.

My earlier post to you (#10): "There's 2 screws that must be removed from the back of the door panel and 1 screw on the forward side."

There's 2 screws on that side (one that he's removing and 1 below) and 1 screw on the other end of the door panel (forward side, where the hinge is).

Thanks again for the nice words everyone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

I'll take those 5 stars too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/15/06, 12:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great info and pics Bill. I might just put the felt on myself now that I have a clue how it's done. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/15/06, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 15, 2006, 7:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I also said '3'.
[/b][/quote]

sorry my bad,, so do you say this is fairly easy to be done,, im asking alot of questions because i don't want to mess up my car,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh poop! I forgot about the 8 phillips head screws! My bad. Yeah, there are 2 torx screws and 8 phillips heads that you have to remove to get the panel off (along with the pop-off parts).
[/b][/quote]

What i though we all agreeed that its only three screws [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] am i missing anything?
Old 4/15/06, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

This is a great how to thread that needs to be made a sticky!
Old 4/15/06, 09:01 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(199 @ April 15, 2006, 5:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
sorry my bad,, so do you say this is fairly easy to be done,, im asking alot of questions because i don't want to mess up my car,
What i though we all agreeed that its only three screws [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] am i missing anything?
[/b][/quote]
199-
VistaJ removed his door panel completely off, that's the extra fasteners he's talking about.

Just follow WuTimeUT last post and you're good to go! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks AGBULLIT, my small efforts have already paid off judging by the number of views this post has already gotten. I've read alot of other posts regarding felt/moleskin application and none seem to 'click' with me visually or have any common method of installation between members. What I saw done do my car seems to be the most logical, affordable, and sure way of getting the felt on.
Old 4/15/06, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayguy @ April 14, 2006, 9:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Any one else here or in Phoenix (or anywhere else that gets really really hot) have a problem with the glue used on your felt, if you have it?
[/b][/quote]

I'm not in Phoenix but I'm in El Paso and it gets really hot here as well. I only applied the felt a few weeks ago and posted a writeup for install but I think it got lost with the forum taking big dumps. I don't have any proof yet, but I do think the felt will hold up as long as the surface was cleaned well prior to installation.
Old 4/15/06, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 15, 2006, 11:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
199-
VistaJ removed his door panel completely off, that's the extra fasteners he's talking about.[/b][/quote]

Correct. There are 10 total screws on the door panel (8 phillips, 2 torx). All need to be removed if you want the whole panel off. But that isn't necessary to get the felt installed. Sorry, I should have been more clear with that the first time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/doh.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 03:09 AM
V6 Member

SWEEET hiney PRO WORK MAN ..... the mustang looks great ... heck i didnt know window tinting needs all that work...

that definatly what i call a pro work..
Old 4/16/06, 12:37 PM

Attempted the felt install following the instructions to no avail. After removing the aformentioned screws, I could not get the door panel to budge more than about 1/4 inch, which wasn't enough to extract the rubber channel. You mentioned that they seemed to pull the door panel up then out...which, upon looking closely, seems to be exactly what needs to be done...but, I just couldn't do it without using so much force that I would fear breaking something. I even tried wedging a screwdriver (yikes!) in various places along the top of the panel to try and pry it off a little, but gave up fairly quick, as I didn't want to risk damaging anything. Anyway, what am I doing wrong? Does it just take a herculean effort to get that panel to really budge? I really want to do this myself, but don't want to damage my baby (she's only two weeks old...06, yellow, auto, charcoal leather, dark IUP, shaker 500, alarm, side airbags, 18" polished bullits)! As other's have already said, great writeup. Any additional help with this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 4/16/06, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

If you want to take the whole panel off (which I recommend that you do), then remove all the screws and the various plastic panels and parts that pop off. I followed instructions sent by Crutchfield as I was installing new speakers and doing the felt at the same time. You can try to follow the instructions posted in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=43502

They aren't as detailed as Crutchfield's instructions, but they do show what needs to be removed to get the panel off. #10 on the pdf indicates the 8 phillips heads that need to be removed:
Old 4/16/06, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fade2Black @ April 16, 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Attempted the felt install following the instructions to no avail. After removing the aformentioned screws, I could not get the door panel to budge more than about 1/4 inch, which wasn't enough to extract the rubber channel.[/b][/quote]

I did my felt install without removing the door panels at all. Just roll the windows down. Cut the felt to the proper length. Pull back about an inch of the backing and insert the whole felt piece between the window and inner seal. Then just go slow, lining it up and sticking to the top edge of the inner seal until you are done. I used felt SAS12 1/2x1/16 from Duro Felt.
Old 4/16/06, 03:18 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fade2Black @ April 16, 2006, 11:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Attempted the felt install following the instructions to no avail. After removing the aformentioned screws, I could not get the door panel to budge more than about 1/4 inch, which wasn't enough to extract the rubber channel. You mentioned that they seemed to pull the door panel up then out...which, upon looking closely, seems to be exactly what needs to be done...but, I just couldn't do it without using so much force that I would fear breaking something. I even tried wedging a screwdriver (yikes!) in various places along the top of the panel to try and pry it off a little, but gave up fairly quick, as I didn't want to risk damaging anything. Anyway, what am I doing wrong? Does it just take a herculean effort to get that panel to really budge? I really want to do this myself, but don't want to damage my baby (she's only two weeks old...06, yellow, auto, charcoal leather, dark IUP, shaker 500, alarm, side airbags, 18" polished bullits)! As other's have already said, great writeup. Any additional help with this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
[/b][/quote]
I'm afraid I can't tell you from personal experience, but from what I saw, they did use a fair amount of force to dislodge the upper section of the door panel. I'd say give it another crack (make sure the window is down) and pull up and out with more pressure.

To me, I don't recommend pressing the felt down into the channel without proper prep of that surface. It'll stick for the short term, but very possible it'll start to lose its adhesion over time.

As far as dropping the entire panel, guess you can also explore this route, but it may be extra effort that's not required.
Old 4/18/06, 10:45 AM

has anyone had any run ins with the police because of their tint? i've gotten lots of stares but not pulled over yet (and hopefully not soon either!)
Old 4/18/06, 10:59 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DropTopSally05 @ April 18, 2006, 9:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
has anyone had any run ins with the police because of their tint? i've gotten lots of stares but not pulled over yet (and hopefully not soon either!)
[/b][/quote]
I think it boils down to the Officer. In CA, 70% tint is allowed (ie. factory tint). Anything darker, you can be ticketed.
Here's my $.02, as long as you can see into the vehicle (not just your silhouette), you're usually pretty safe. If you go darker, you're taking a bigger risk.

Then again, I had a medium tint on my 85 GT and still got popped! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 11:06 AM

i think my tint right now is about the same color as yours. im not sure exactly what percentage it is though cause someone took my car to get them tinted for me but since you mentioned that classic tint place i might go there. i live pretty close to there. may i ask, how much it came out to be with the tint and the felt installed?

Quick Reply: Window tint with felt installed with pics