05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Touch Screen NAV + SAT Radio-Pioneer AVIC D1

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/05, 04:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wanted NAV in my new Mustang, but as we know Ford has no offerings...

So I'm seriously thinking of adding this multi-function unit to my 2006 GT..
Its from Pioneer, AVIC D1, and does NAV by touchscreen with optional Sat radio (XM or Sirius) and optional CD/DVD magazine for the trunk, and optional rear view camera.

I have Sirius in my MINI Cooper S and I really miss it when I drive the Mustang.. but I'm considering either XM or a second subscription to Sirius which is cheaper.

What do you think? Who here has installed a similar unit? Any pitfalls to look out for in installation?

Old 12/15/05, 04:59 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer make great units and it sounds like a great idea.

ONLY two pitfalls spring to mind:

1. Quality of installation - you want it to look neat and you most definitely DO NOT want rattles and squeaks coming out of there later because someone didn't reassemble the dash components tightly enough.

2. Theft. Big, easy target for thieves. Might want to ramp up your alarm deterrent.
Old 12/15/05, 05:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

go with a flip out headunit...when closed...doesn't attract attention. I just ordered the Alpine IVA-D310.
Old 12/15/05, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the comments! =)

Theft is not a big concern for me, however- the car is very rarely parked anywhere that would be at risk, and I have 35% tint on all the windows so it's very difficult to see in.

Plus I have internet video surveilance of my house when away lol and at work I park right outside of my office window.

I also have a state trooper that lives next door. I guess I could electrify the body panels for extra protection like that 007 BMW =) but thats probably overkill.

I've dug up several posts on this unit now, and it all looks good. I just want to be sure I know what to look for because I'll be watching the installer!! I want to make sure he uses the right harnesses so the door subs work, and right now I'm trying to learn what a VSS wire is so I'll know if I want it connected or not!
And then I need to google AVIC D1 bypass I guess...

oh- can anyone tell me/show what the sat antenna will be like? I read somewhere on here that it must be mouted outside the car.. is the XM different from the Sirius? I already have a Sirius subscription for my MCS, but I'd go XM on this one if it was better looking..
Old 12/15/05, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

check out my thread on my AVIC-D1 I got...its really a great piece of work. You'll love it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=39353&hl=
Old 12/15/05, 06:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@December 15, 2005, 9:32 PM
check out my thread on my AVIC-D1 I got...its really a great piece of work. You'll love it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=39353&hl=
wow.... ..... ...... really nice stang

now I know what exhaust I want
and about those wheels... where is your thread on those -?!
Old 12/15/05, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 06GT&05MCS@December 15, 2005, 7:59 PM
wow.... ..... ...... really nice stang

now I know what exhaust I want
and about those wheels... where is your thread on those -?!
Im leavin for a party as we speak...do a search under GhostGT...if you cant find stuff on me i'll gladly post up links when i get back.

Thanks for the kind comments!
Old 12/16/05, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Most of us here at work have Sirius. Some of the guys put the sat antenna on the dash and haven't had any complaints, but ideally it would work better on the outside of the car.

If using Navi, you definately want the VSS hooked up. Any good navi system uses multiple inputs to calculate your location. EX: if you are in a tunnel with some systems, the navi doesn't know where you are 'cause it can't see the satelite.

BTW - Two of us have the Blaupunkt Chicago's. I'm waiting for Blaupunkt's Aspen for the touch screen. I like the hideaway monitors...
Old 12/17/05, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Im seriously considering the d1 too, but I think I am going to get it off of crutchfield.com and install myself. This will be my first audio install though, so I am kind of worried.
Old 12/22/05, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

What about putting the antenna underneath the front dash? Also, how will tinted windows affect my reception? And for anyone with gps & sat radio, did you run the two antennas to the same point? I was told that doing so would degrade the reception. Thanks.
Old 12/23/05, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

I've comitted to the AVIC D1.. I have an install date of Dec 30. I found out it takes some convincing to get an installation appt immediately after Christmas! (everybody's booked solid)

I was 50/50 on whether to go Sirius or XM, I already have Sirius in my other car and I like it ok (well 2 stations I listen to almost always) but an online trial of XM seemed like they have more music stations that I would like.

In the end they had the Pioneer XM in stock and the Pioneer Sirius was on backorder, so I went XM. Now I will have one in one car and one in the other. =)
Old 12/24/05, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will LOVE the Avic D1

It looks stock... like it belongs there which is why I got it.

The only complaint I have with it is, well two complaints, the clock is small compared to the size it COULD be. AND you can't see the clock unless you hide the audio controls.. annoying, but not a huge deal.

I have Sirius and have the antenna mounted on the rear decklid. I get a lot of drop-outs though. Apparently with XM you can put the antenna inside and not have issues. With Sirius they have fewer repeaters so the only way to avoid drop-outs is by putting the ugly antenna on the outside.

I will be switching to XM as soon as my Sirius subscription is expired for this very reason... even though I will miss Howard Stern.
Old 12/26/05, 01:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

how much are you paying for that unit? i might be able to save you a few hundred bucks! i get car audio and wheels whole sale and i pass on my savings to others. i dont do this for a living nor do i try to make money off of it,its just something i have recently been able to do because of my involvment in the custom car industry and being the founder of a world wide car/truck club for the last 6 years. i get to meet tons of people and get contacts for different things and now that i know i can get wheels and car audio whole sale and how much cheaper the stuff really is i try my best to help out others to they dont get raped by paying retail for something i can get cheaper ya know, anyway let me know if you need me to get a price for you and i will
Old 12/26/05, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

I have Sirius and my antenna is laying in the rear deck. Only time I have any type of reception issue is going under multi lane bridges or in parking garages. Rest of the time it works fine. And just FYI, my GPS antenna is in the rear deck also and I have never had an issue with that.