05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

switched power for heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/05, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where to find switched power near the driver's seat that I can use for my new heated seats? I got them for Christmas and am looking for switched power so that they don't drain the battery in case I leave them on.

Thanks,
TRB
Old 12/26/05, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

under the center console... there is the harness for the auto tranny... the light blue with yellow stripe wire is a switched with the ignition 12 volt lead......

I just found that out today, you are lucky!
Old 12/27/05, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by TorchRedBeauty@December 26, 2005, 3:26 PM
Does anyone know where to find switched power near the driver's seat that I can use for my new heated seats? I got them for Christmas and am looking for switched power so that they don't drain the battery in case I leave them on.

Thanks,
TRB

Who makes them and how much if you don't mind?
Old 12/27/05, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might just be me, but I think you'll have bigger problems then draining your battery if you leave your seats on. I'd reccomend finding a temp. sensor or some kind of timer to avoid the untimely demise of a your car. Would hate to have to read about someone's car going up in smoke because they installed a set of heated seats and forgot to turn them off.
Old 12/27/05, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan+December 27, 2005, 1:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ December 27, 2005, 1:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>under the center console... there is the harness for the auto tranny... the light blue with yellow stripe wire is a switched with the ignition 12 volt lead......

I just found that out today, you are lucky!
[/b]

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this harness is still there if I have a manual transmission? I'll check it out tonight and if all goes well I'll have heated seats for tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@December 27, 2005, 7:51 AM
Who makes them and how much if you don't mind?
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/pedecafiunhe.html

<!--QuoteBegin-WBstangGT
@December 27, 2005, 8:23 AM
Might just be me, but I think you'll have bigger problems then draining your battery if you leave your seats on. I'd reccomend finding a temp. sensor or some kind of timer to avoid the untimely demise of a your car. Would hate to have to read about someone's car going up in smoke because they installed a set of heated seats and forgot to turn them off.
[/quote]

No worries. The heaters actually have dual thermostats built-in (one is a back-up), so I'm not worried about my car going up in smoke.

So far, I've installed the actual pads last evening, but no power yet. I'll check out emperorjordan's suggestion tonight and keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies.

-TRB
Old 12/27/05, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure where my power came form. But I can't turn the seat heaters on until I turn the panel on. Part of me likes that, and part of me doesn't.
Old 12/27/05, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

How hard was it to get the heating elements installed? Did you remove the seats completely? Thanks for the info.

Jon
Old 12/27/05, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my .02, but I do not believe you want to use the wiring at the center console. Seat heaters by nature are a high amp draw device, it is a relutance circuit like a rear defroster. You want to make sure that the wiring you tap into has sufficient current supply capabilty, you will need a circuit that is at least 14 gauge. Or else you may overheat the wiring.
Old 12/27/05, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by thestoogeo+December 27, 2005, 1:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thestoogeo @ December 27, 2005, 1:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>How hard was it to get the heating elements installed? Did you remove the seats completely? Thanks for the info.

Jon
[/b]

It was a PITA to get the J clips off. I didn't remove the seat and barely pulled back the covers just enough to slide the heaters under. There are some hog rings on the lower part, but it wasn't a problem since I could just cut the extra length off the elements I bought. I've still got to figure out the routing for the wires. Right now, they are just hanging out of the bottom-rear of the seat. Once I figure out where to get power from I'll route the wires better.

<!--QuoteBegin-Tiberius1701
@December 27, 2005, 1:15 PM
Just my .02, but I do not believe you want to use the wiring at the center console. Seat heaters by nature are a high amp draw device, it is a relutance circuit like a rear defroster. You want to make sure that the wiring you tap into has sufficient current supply capabilty, you will need a circuit that is at least 14 gauge. Or else you may overheat the wiring.
[/quote]

That sounds like a good point. Does anyone know if there is anywhere close by the driver's seat that will work or do I have to extend my wires to go all the way to the passenger side fuse box?

Thanks,
TRB
Old 12/27/05, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TorchRedBeauty@December 27, 2005, 2:14 PM
It was a PITA to get the J clips off. I didn't remove the seat and barely pulled back the covers just enough to slide the heaters under. There are some hog rings on the lower part, but it wasn't a problem since I could just cut the extra length off the elements I bought. I've still got to figure out the routing for the wires. Right now, they are just hanging out of the bottom-rear of the seat. Once I figure out where to get power from I'll route the wires better.
That sounds like a good point. Does anyone know if there is anywhere close by the driver's seat that will work or do I have to extend my wires to go all the way to the passenger side fuse box?

Thanks,
TRB

I will check the diagrams and see if there is a good circuit to tap and let you know ASAP.
Old 12/28/05, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@December 27, 2005, 2:52 PM
I will check the diagrams and see if there is a good circuit to tap and let you know ASAP.
Any word yet? If not, I think I will just add more wire and route to a switched fuse in the passenger side fuse box. Thanks in advance.

-TRB
Old 12/28/05, 11:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TorchRedBeauty@December 28, 2005, 11:29 AM
Any word yet? If not, I think I will just add more wire and route to a switched fuse in the passenger side fuse box. Thanks in advance.

-TRB
Sorry about the time...
Looking at the diagrams it appears that all of the high current wiring is coming out of the underhood fuse panel and most (if not all) of the wiring out of the interior panel is low current. What you may have to do is put a relay in between the seat heaters and run your main power to the underhood panel and a lead to the low current panel to allow the ignition to activate the circuit with the key in the on and accessory position. If you want to go this way circuit 1322 Light Brown/white striped wire should work OK. This wire powers up the blower motor relay.

Hope this helps.
Old 12/30/05, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Jeromy,

Do you think the heating elements will cause problems with the ABS seat occupancy sensors? I was thinking that they were a high amp draw item as well. It sounds like a relay is probably the way to go. I'm about ready to order a set, my main conecern is being able to get them under the seats and the abs sensors. Let me know how it works out.

Jon
Old 1/3/06, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was not there when mine was wired, so I am not sure what it is connected to. But I had mine installed over a year ago and never had a problem with the Air Bag light.