05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Seat cover removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/06, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat cover removal?

How do you remove the seat covers and what tools are needed to install new leather covers? I just ordered new take off leather interior for my car and was wondering how difficult it will be to change out.
Old 12/24/06, 10:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangdaren
How do you remove the seat covers and what tools are needed to install new leather covers? I just ordered new take off leather interior for my car and was wondering how difficult it will be to change out.
You will need common hand tools, metric sockets, wrenches and the like. Hog ring pliers and new hog rings to reinstall the covers-you must cut the old ones off to remove your cloth covers. It is imperative that you depower the SRS airbag system prior to seat removal-especially critical if you have side airbags-ifyou do the covers you ordered must be for side airbags (I know this sounds obvious-but I just needed to let you know. After swapping out the passenger sidde cover you may have to have the Occupant sensor re-zeroed. This must be done at the dealer with a scan tool.

Attachments are service procedure.

Disclaimer: Shop manual instructions are written for qualified automotive technicians-procede at your own risk...

Have a Happy Holiday Season!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front Seat R&I.pdf (242.4 KB, 1089 views)
Backrest R&I.pdf (186.4 KB, 710 views)
Backrest Cover R&I.pdf (196.1 KB, 836 views)
Seat Cushion R&I.pdf (93.1 KB, 781 views)
Old 12/26/06, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will not be too bad. I figure I will start with the rear seat and the head rest and see how it goes. Do you know if the Ford Dealerships will do this kind of work and how much they would probably charge to do the front seats? I got the new interior today, looks awesome. I am going to miss the little running horses on the cloth interior though, looked pretty cool.
Old 12/27/06, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I did the back lower seat so far. It was pretty easy. It needs to set out in the sun a little to get the wrinkles out of it from where the covers were boxed up but other than that they look good. I tried the heat gun but that takes forever. I will do the upper rear seats tomorrow. I need to order some hog rings and pliers before starting on the front.
Old 12/28/06, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I have one more question. If your seats do not have the side air bags do you have to power down the front air bag system to remove the seats? I talked with the dealership and they do not replace the seat covers and referred me to a trim shop and told me just to bring it back to have the sensor in the passenger seat recalibrated after they are done. I figure if I can remove the seats without causing any issues with the air bag system I can just change out the covers myself.
Old 12/29/06, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangdaren
I have one more question. If your seats do not have the side air bags do you have to power down the front air bag system to remove the seats? I talked with the dealership and they do not replace the seat covers and referred me to a trim shop and told me just to bring it back to have the sensor in the passenger seat recalibrated after they are done. I figure if I can remove the seats without causing any issues with the air bag system I can just change out the covers myself.
If you do not have the side airbag option, it is not necessary to depower the system. The wiriing harness has dead end shunts at each seat. Hope this helps.
Old 12/29/06, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks.
Old 12/30/06, 04:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just be sure to tuck the seat covers firmly into the velcro part of the foam foundation *first*, that will keep them from moving around alot after you get them installed. I put a set on my V6 'vert and you'd never know they weren't stock. Good luck!
Old 1/1/07, 11:05 AM

Why don't you order some heated seat inserts while you got everything appart?
Seems like now would be as good a time as any? I am in Oregon and thinking about doing it soon.
Old 1/1/07, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

That's a good idea, might do that. I just finished puting the back seat in and it looks pretty good. Kinda curious if I can do the fronts without disassembling the back rest from the lower seat. Top part looks pretty simple, just not sure about the lower seat.