05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/04, 01:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting a remote auto starter and tint installed on Tuesday B)
by the Dealer but he said that they use my spare key and hook it up somewhere in the car so the car thinks the key is in the ignition. Said it was a standard thing with Remote Starts. :scratch:
So I will have to get a spare key made while I have a set.. only 25$ no biggie
Just alittle concerned about haveing 3 keys ..total
is this normal? Ive never had a remote starter>>>..
thanx
Jason

sequential turn signals next,,,

let the mods begin
Old 12/3/04, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bought one a while back that was pretty cheap. I haven't installed it on any vehicle yet but I didn't see anything about haveing to have another key. That's kind of stange..
Old 12/4/04, 01:32 PM

I had a clifford installed with auto start. Awesome.
The reason we need to give them the extra key is becasue of the security chip inside the key.

Also to let every one know:
Make sure you ask the dealer about this.

I had to have an extra module installed to keep the alarm from going off when I turned the autostart off, fixed.

Also the lights inside stayed on, fixed.

Now the only problem is that the radio stays on unless I go and open the door. Clifford knows about the problem and hopefully will have a solution.

Now also note that all these situations were only if I remote started and then remote turned off.

It's sweet though, when you see someone checking out your ride start it up, it freaks them out. It's the funniest thing.
Old 12/5/04, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

Hi just would like to say that having a spare key used to allow the remote start to work. Makes the car really easy to steal. I would recommend the ford system and have in instaled by the dealer . then it is warrantied by Ford for the life of the warranty of the car . and no isssues with repairs not being covered due to aftermarket remotes starts ,

Just a suggestion .

enjoy the car
Old 12/5/04, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

Yea I was thinking the same about it easier to get riped off.But I am thinking the alarm will still be armed and the stearing wheel locks so its probally pritty safe.. But I am haveing the dealer install the remote starter from FORD.. just incase.

Thanx for the responces...
Old 12/8/04, 08:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is it cold where you guys are? Not sure why or when I would need this in Houston...MAybe I'm missing something great about it that I don't realize....what are the perks of the remote start?
Old 12/8/04, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that if you remote start a car and you get in and press the brake to shift gears (on an auto) the car shuts off and then you would insert the key and re-start the car, at least this is the way it worked on my fiancee's old Cougar. I think the advantage of remote starting a car is if you live in areas that get cold weather and snow where the car would have be started ahead of time to warm up.
Old 12/8/04, 10:56 PM
V6 Member

Had mine installed yesterday and it don't get that cold here in NM.
Plus she's is garage kept anyway's. I just thought it was a kewll toy. IMO

Yea when its started and you hit the break, it turns off but if you slide the key in and turn it will stay on.
Plus it has a timer so it will shut off automatically within a certain about of time. I set mine for 10 min.
Its pretty kewll it even uses the same remote all you have to do is hit the
lock then unlock then lock button for it to start and to turn off. B)

Pretty kewll since I can now roll down the windows/alarm/start car/open trunk. all with one remote.
Hey a man gotta have his toys .
The tint came out sweet 20% all around except 5% on small back windows.
Old 12/9/04, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can it go in a standerd shift???
Old 5/6/05, 08:12 AM

BUMP
Hey guys, i wanted to start a topic on remote starter car alarms but thought it would be best to search the archive first and look at what i found!

I got a couple of questions, for those who already have it installed, what brand is it and how much did it cost?

Also, someone mentioned that Ford has a remote starter, where can i find one?

Finally, what are the best remote starter car alarms on the market?
Old 5/6/05, 08:29 AM
Banned

I have the remote start from the dealer, installed by the dealer. push and hold the lock button until the horn beeps, then the car starts on it own. When you get int he car , insert your key before you touch the brake and then your done. If you touch the brake before inserting the key, the engine shuts off. Also if you start the car with the remote, and then open the hoos, the engine shuts off.

VERY COOL.I love having it

Same remote, no extra or different key.
Old 5/6/05, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by PonyGirl@May 6, 2005, 8:32 AM
I have the remote start from the dealer, installed by the dealer. push and hold the lock button until the horn beeps, then the car starts on it own. When you get int he car , insert your key before you touch the brake and then your done. If you touch the brake before inserting the key, the engine shuts off. Also if you start the car with the remote, and then open the hoos, the engine shuts off.

VERY COOL.I love having it

Same remote, no extra or different key.
Ponygirl, thanks for the response. I have yet to receive my car, but it's due sometime this month. Just curious, how much did it cost...installation + the alarm?
Old 5/6/05, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

They require one of your keys because they install it inline with the wiring and stick way up under your dash. Your car needs the key to start for the remote because of the pc chip in the key. I have had this done on 2 vehicles and it is standard. As someone said when you get in and hit brakes and things like that without the other key in the ignition the car dies. As for remote start in a manual I know it was offered at one time. They have to install sensors down in the shifter. They detect whether the car is in neutral or not so when you hit the starter it doesnt lurch if its in gear. The guy I spoke to about it when I had a standard in one of my old trucks said it was alot more $$ and you would need to get the sensors adjusted periodically. It sounded like a pain in the butt so I decided against it.
Old 5/6/05, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@December 9, 2004, 11:09 AM
Can it go in a standerd shift???
Most places, including my dealership won't install these on a standard for liability reasons. There's an alarm/remote start that is made with safety features for manual transmissions. It requires you to go thru a sequence in order to activate remote start, and it is deactivated if the alarm goes off. It's also a 2-way paging alarm, which means it pages you if anything is happening with the car. They have some really nice features. The company is Compustar. I have the 2w900fm-as installed in mine and I really like it. If you want it to be warrantied though, you have to buy it and have it installed by an authorized dealer, which you find out by calling Compustar.
Old 5/6/05, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

So does your global window feature still work, since you have to use unlock button etc. Does your window down feature still work with remote.
Old 5/6/05, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

there is also the 556s imobilizer bypass module by Drected Electronics.
You do NOT lose one of your keys with this module.
if you do end up using another module that requies you to lose a key, you can get a spare from www.howardkeys.com at a fraction of the price of a dealer and program it yourself.
good luck!
Old 5/6/05, 10:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by tigger199@December 5, 2004, 10:22 AM
Hi just would like to say that having a spare key used to allow the remote start to work. Makes the car really easy to steal. I would recommend the ford system and have in instaled by the dealer . then it is warrantied by Ford for the life of the warranty of the car . and no isssues with repairs not being covered due to aftermarket remotes starts ,

Just a suggestion .

enjoy the car
Cars are easy to steal to begin with. For those of you who are worried about having the key spare key in the dash, I would recommend the following.

1. Purchase a blank key fob from ebay. I payed approximately 15 dollars.
2. Have the key cut at a local hardware store.
3. Program the key with the two original car keys using the appropriate steps outlined in the ford owners manual.
4. Since the key will no longer need to be used in the ignition, you can file down the edges of the key so that it cannot ever start the car again.
5. With the installation of a remote start, the new key will be placed in a bypass module to fool the car into thinking the key is in the ignition when starting remotely.

I had a Viper 795xv 2-way remote start system installed. It is awesome. Any questions, PM me. Also, a word of advice. Manually turn off your stereo every time you leave the car. If you remote start the car, and the radio goes on, the base will will set off the alarm. Took me like a week to figure out why the heck my alarm was goin off lol.

Remote start systems can be installed in a car with a manual transmission, but good luck finding someone reputable to install them because of liability reasons. If you forget to put the car in neutral, and you remote start it, off it goes. I know people who installed remote starts for a manual, but theyve done it themselves.

Also, if the car is remote started in order to drive away with it, a key must be in the ignition and turned to the "on" position. If there is no key in the ignition, when the brake is depressed, the car will automatically shut off. A remote start is good even in normal weather, because I like to let the car run for about 3 minutes before driving it. Not really necessary in good weather, just a force of CHICAGO habit.

David
Old 5/7/05, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

[/quote]

I had a Viper 795xv 2-way remote start system installed.

[/quote]

you mean 791xv? I have the same system all 3 of my cars and love it.
Old 5/7/05, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

you mean 791xv? I have the same system all 3 of my cars and love it.

Yeah thats the one. I can't count.

David
Old 5/9/05, 07:00 AM
Banned

I got the remote start AND THE Alarm for $300 from the dealer....well worth it in my opinion, the remote start is awesome, and comes in handy. i use it more then I thought I would. And the alarm is still set when your start it with the remote. Very cool