05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC-D2, Ipod adapter, XM

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/06, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a recent thread on here regarding the AVIC-D2 that I think got lost in the crash. I am hoping the original posters will see this thread and re-post their content.
  • I know there were a few of us that ordered the D2 and were waiting for the new version Pioneer Ipod adapter (CD-IB100II) before installing. I received mine this week and was wondering if anyone else received theirs and installed it yet. If so, can you tell us how it works? There were some concerns in the old thread about the old Ipod adapter not working real well with the D1/D2.
  • There was a forum member who had done the nav lock out by pass and also the nav dvd hack to load custom background pics. He had posted some great info and I hope he will again. I really want to do the dvd hack
  • There were conversations regarding placement of the GPS antenna and the XM antenna. Do they work on the rear package tray inside the car? Any tips on placement inside the car?
  • Any tips, pics, etc for those of us venturing into this?
I will be taking pics every step of the way and will post to this thread when I am done. I hope others will do the same.

Thanks in advance for any information
Old 4/24/06, 07:35 AM
GT Member

Ok ... I have all of this installed already ... what would you like to know? In general, I can tell you that the ipod adapter ii doesn't really do much to make the D2 head unit control the ipod like an ipod. However, once you get the hang of the (needlessly) cloogy interface, it's not so bad. If you DL the ipod adapter ii manual from pioneer, make you sure you focus on the section that says which head unit group the d2 is in ... the screen shots you see in the manual DO NOT pertain to the D2. The D2 reads the iPod like a more generic external device. Overall, I am VERY happy with these products.
Old 4/24/06, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and AVIC-D2. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-D1/D2 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1/D2. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

Thats it, all there is to it, and all the lockouts are bypassed. Easy, give it a try.

I have a more detailed writeup with pics on my website (including VSS hookup)
Old 4/24/06, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2MFF @ April 22, 2006, 9:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

the nav dvd hack to load custom background pics. He had posted some great info and I hope he will again. I really want to do the dvd hack

[/b][/quote]

I would like to get this, This to me is one major flaw of the Avic-x# units.
Old 4/24/06, 05:33 PM

Your website was a huge help when I installed my D2. Glad I can finally thank you as your website didn't have an email....THANKS!!!!

05silverGT was the one with the custom screens. Information can be found at avic411.com.

Don't forget the amp reducer to avoid the amps from popping.

Good Luck!!!! It is so worth installing and I think it sounds 10x better than the old skipper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2K05GT-TK @ April 24, 2006, 10:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and AVIC-D2. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-D1/D2 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1/D2. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).
Thats it, all there is to it, and all the lockouts are bypassed. Easy, give it a try.

I have a more detailed writeup with pics on my website (including VSS hookup)
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/24/06, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info so far guys!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kjhokie @ April 24, 2006, 6:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Don't forget the amp reducer to avoid the amps from popping.

Good Luck!!!! It is so worth installing and I think it sounds 10x better than the old skipper.
[/b][/quote]

Any details or links for this?
Old 4/26/06, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Where did you guys mount the XM box and the Ipod box?