05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AppRadio

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/12, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the app radio 1, and I have a 2008 so I don't have sync. I find it really, really odd that Pioneer thinks you don't want to listen to music while you use the navigation. Unless I'm doing something wrong??
Old 3/21/12, 01:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Did you get the 1 or 2? Sorry no help but can you confirm that you can stream wirelessly through Sync still? Thanks in advance. Curious about your question now too.
No you won't be able to stream wirelessly through sync. Replacing the radio with an aftermarket headunit will remove all sync functionality from the car.

Originally Posted by DPHC13
I got the app radio 1, and I have a 2008 so I don't have sync. I find it really, really odd that Pioneer thinks you don't want to listen to music while you use the navigation. Unless I'm doing something wrong??
?????????????????????????????????? I've never had a problem playing music while navigating, using either songs that are on my iphone or using pandora.
Old 3/21/12, 10:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ov3n
No you won't be able to stream wirelessly through sync. Replacing the radio with an aftermarket headunit will remove all sync functionality from the car.
This is not a true statement.
Old 3/22/12, 01:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is not a true statement.
How do you figure? The sound has to go through the headunit. If you go phone>sync>headunit>speakers>ears, this will not be able to happen. The appradio does not have any audio inputs aside from the iphone connection.
Old 3/22/12, 04:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sync is not in the head unit. Switch the head unit, Sync remains. Might need a new harness but it works.
Old 3/23/12, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem I have with all these touch screen car radios they have now is that while they look cool... they're extremely non-functional for a car radio.

I have an old Avic D2 and I actually bought a new Pioneer to replace it because I thought they looked snazzy. Then I realized after having it in the car for one day that there are no BUTTONS!

EVERYTHING is touch screen. So in order to say switch from the radio to Ipod you have to actually LOOK at the screen and switch it.

Needless to say this is not very ideal when driving a car! I can switch EVERYTHING on my D2 with the "SRC" button. GASP a button that I can feel without looking and switch without having to take my eyes off the road.

I returned my new Pioneer head unit and went back to the D2, as it seems ALL of the **** head units are like this now.

It reminds me of when they first came out with touch screen remotes for televisions. They were all the rage for about a year. Then people realized that it was a real PITA to have to look down and turn on your remote to change channels. Whereas a 10-dollar remote from Wallmart had... BUTTONS that you can FEEL and not have to look at to manipulate.
Old 3/24/12, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sync is not in the head unit. Switch the head unit, Sync remains. Might need a new harness but it works.
I stand corrected then. I saw that crutchfield has a $200 adaptor for this functionality.

Originally Posted by Imatk
The problem I have with all these touch screen car radios they have now is that while they look cool... they're extremely non-functional for a car radio.

I have an old Avic D2 and I actually bought a new Pioneer to replace it because I thought they looked snazzy. Then I realized after having it in the car for one day that there are no BUTTONS!

EVERYTHING is touch screen. So in order to say switch from the radio to Ipod you have to actually LOOK at the screen and switch it.

Needless to say this is not very ideal when driving a car! I can switch EVERYTHING on my D2 with the "SRC" button. GASP a button that I can feel without looking and switch without having to take my eyes off the road.

I returned my new Pioneer head unit and went back to the D2, as it seems ALL of the **** head units are like this now.

It reminds me of when they first came out with touch screen remotes for televisions. They were all the rage for about a year. Then people realized that it was a real PITA to have to look down and turn on your remote to change channels. Whereas a 10-dollar remote from Wallmart had... BUTTONS that you can FEEL and not have to look at to manipulate.
Okay. Thanks for letting us know. So, it took you a full 24 hours to realize there were no buttons?
Old 3/27/12, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ov3n
I stand corrected then. I saw that crutchfield has a $200 adaptor for this functionality.

Okay. Thanks for letting us know. So, it took you a full 24 hours to realize there were no buttons?
Umm yeah.. that's what it was
Old 3/28/12, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you all really got me looking at this radio in my near future!! looks sweet
Old 3/29/12, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Out of curiosity, those of you that have this radio, have you had any issues with the apps after updating your phone (mainly iPhones)? While shopping around for a new head unit, I stopped at a Pioneer dealer and he actually didn't recommend it because according to him, Pioneer was 'slow' or slower to make updates as fast as Apple end them out for the phone creating issues with apps working. I went with the 4400 instead.