05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AppRadio

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/11, 01:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pioneer AppRadio

I totally got one. I've been waiting months to get one.

It is replacing my AVIC-D3.

First impressions are positive, a couple annoying quirks, but nothing to complain about, as the AVIC-D3 also had its fair share of annoying quirks.

Here is some information on this head unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

I am not sure how the ebrake bypass will work with this headunit versus the currect AVH series headunits. I had a dream that i ordered a bypass kit off ebay for the AVH, and we'll see how it works (or IF it works)... If it does at all. in my dreams.

Edit: I downloaded the manual for the AVH-P4300DVD, and it says the exact same sequence of events is required for allowing video play back to occur (engage ebrake, disengage, then re-engage)... so those who wish to dream of bypassing it may not have a problem with the how-to's and (alleged) bypass kits for the AVH series.

Edit edit: But my (dream) may have been wrong. Other (dreamers) around the internets are saying this won't work. So who knows!

I also have something else coming in today that should make this a pretty complete and awesome setup. I will post more details in the evening.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AppRadio-img_1313.jpg  

Last edited by ov3n; 6/25/11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 6/26/11, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good! I saw the press release on this but this is the first o have heard of someone actually having one installed. Mind if I ask what you are planning on doing with your old avic d3? If your looking to sell it shoot me a pm and we can try to work something out.
Old 6/28/11, 02:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Looks good! I saw the press release on this but this is the first o have heard of someone actually having one installed. Mind if I ask what you are planning on doing with your old avic d3? If your looking to sell it shoot me a pm and we can try to work something out.
Yeah I'm kind of a nerd. I have been waiting for this to come out since the first press release and photos came out a couple months ago. Then i checked the internet for it daily. And the first day it was available for sale, I ordered it off Amazon.

The AVIC-D3 is something I wish to sell, so I will PM you.
Old 6/28/11, 02:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here are some more photos of my completed install along with some of the AppRadio's capabilities.

I had also ordered a ProClip iphone 4 mount with an ipod cable bypass, so I never need to deal with finding the cable again. The ProClip mount mounts the iphone to the dash, and has its own iPod connector, which then plugs into the AppRadio's ipod cable. The iphone just slides into the ProClip and is plugged in. Now I always have easy access to the phone, and it doesn't need to permanently live in the cupholder or armrest cubby, and the install looks nice and clean IMHO.

56k go away!

Old 6/28/11, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good! I am liking the idea of this unit... I am still debating if I want to go with this unit or something like the one you had before (the AVIC)...

One question though, can you do most everything from the unit itself once you plug the phone in? I see there is some added info for the motion X thing on the iPhone, but if I were to use my iPhone for mostly music and occasional video, I could get away with just running the cable to the center console or glove box?

I currently have a stock head unit with a iPod cable running to the center console and usually just plug my iPhone or Nano into there and hit shuffle... I am not a big fan of mounts, and really like just being able to throw it in there and not worry about it...

What 'Apps' use both the radio screen *and* the iPhone screen?
Old 6/29/11, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
One question though, can you do most everything from the unit itself once you plug the phone in? I see there is some added info for the motion X thing on the iPhone, but if I were to use my iPhone for mostly music and occasional video, I could get away with just running the cable to the center console or glove box?

What 'Apps' use both the radio screen *and* the iPhone screen?
You could get away with leaving it in the console or glove box if all you wanted to do was music or occasional video. The only catch is if you play video, you have to get the video going on the ipod, and then put the headunit into the App mode, and the video will play on the screen (as long as you're not moving and the ebrake is engaged).

There are several apps that use both screens. MotionX is one example. Youtube and Netflix also, the video plays on the headunit and the controls for play/pause/scrub are on the iphone screen. Other apps like Pandora, Rdio, Google Maps, Photos, Contacts can be used completely from the headunit, they don't need to display anything on the phone screen.
Old 6/29/11, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! Definitely going to give this some thought!
Old 9/3/11, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was playing around with this radio yesterday at best buy and REALLY like it, does anyone make a ebrake bypass harness for it yet? Now that you have had the radio for a few months are you glad you bought it or were you happier with the AVIC?
Old 9/4/11, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2008PHANTOM
I was playing around with this radio yesterday at best buy and REALLY like it, does anyone make a ebrake bypass harness for it yet? Now that you have had the radio for a few months are you glad you bought it or were you happier with the AVIC?
The unit doesn't appear to actually be made by Pioneer (as anyone who's actually seen the back of them they are european ISO harnesses - so a european company makes the unit).

The unit needs to see nothing, then ground (simulating an e-brake pull), nothing, then ground again (simulating an e-brake pull).

You can use two relays and latch them, or you can use a toggle switch. The later of the two being the easiest. Hide the switch.
Old 9/5/11, 03:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2008PHANTOM
I'm still quite liking it. A definite upgrade from the AVIC-D3. But just be aware of it's limitations. With no iPhone connected, it is literally nothing but an AM/FM radio. But I don't care, since my iPhone is always connected to it, so I always have all the app functionality.

As for a bypass, most people on the avic411 forum are just hooking up a switch to the head unit's ebrake wire, then flipping it on, off, then on again when they want to view video. I just have mine hooked up to my actual ebrake switch wire since I don't really intend to view video while driving.

I do own a really nice bypass kit from ebay that was made for the AVH radios, but it won't work with the AppRadio because when it sees power, it only flips once.
Old 9/10/11, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ov3n
I'm still quite liking it. A definite upgrade from the AVIC-D3. But just be aware of it's limitations. With no iPhone connected, it is literally nothing but an AM/FM radio. But I don't care, since my iPhone is always connected to it, so I always have all the app functionality.

As for a bypass, most people on the avic411 forum are just hooking up a switch to the head unit's ebrake wire, then flipping it on, off, then on again when they want to view video. I just have mine hooked up to my actual ebrake switch wire since I don't really intend to view video while driving.

I do own a really nice bypass kit from ebay that was made for the AVH radios, but it won't work with the AppRadio because when it sees power, it only flips once.

Well that suck since i dont have an iphone and im with T-mobile this may be no good to me.
Old 9/13/11, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ov3n...assuming you're still quite happy? I might look into this. Had been waiting for a head unit that would basically just display whatever was on my iPhone and this seems to be almost exactly that. Very intrigued.
Old 10/15/11, 07:24 AM

Awesome job, I just received my appradio yesterday, I was wondering if you could give me some tips before I do the install later. (Like mic placement, GPS antena etc)
Thank you!!
Old 1/9/12, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old *** post but i was looking at this install and was wondering if the head unit sits flush with the center counsel? it loos like it is hanging off the front. Anyone have this head unit? It's been some time and was wondering how happy people are with it? I'm thinking of getting one.
Old 1/9/12, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

It sticks out a little over 1/8". Still generally happy with it.

They are coming out with a new version in April with a larger screen and Android support.
Old 1/10/12, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Oven. When to Fry's electronics today and checked it out... it's definitely a looker!
Old 1/27/12, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

It sticks out a little over 1/8". Still generally happy with it.

They are coming out with a new version in April with a larger screen and Android support.
That's good to know. Will they have their higher end units with Android support as well?

I run a Z120BT right now, love it except I had to begrudgingly buy an iPod to bring all my music into it. I do enjoy my Droid + Pandora over BT however.
Old 1/28/12, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Big Pioneer fan and I've been eyeing the AppRadio for a little while, but I'm waiting for them to upgrade it so that a physical connection is no longer needed and will stream music wirelessly. Your setup looks real good, though.
Old 3/19/12, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Ov3n I just got an Appradio and i have to ask you, Can you listen to music AND use the Nav at the same time??? I doesn't seem like it to me unless i'm doing something wrong.
Old 3/19/12, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DPHC13
Ov3n I just got an Appradio and i have to ask you, Can you listen to music AND use the Nav at the same time??? I doesn't seem like it to me unless i'm doing something wrong.
Did you get the 1 or 2? Sorry no help but can you confirm that you can stream wirelessly through Sync still? Thanks in advance. Curious about your question now too.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AppRadio