05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Painting window switch plates

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/06, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
After many weeks of painting, thinking, painting again, thinking again, re-painting - aggggggghhhh

This is what I ended up with. Paint the pieces using the silver, and using decals from bobwhite
How did you makethe door panel white??? dye? paint? Looks awesome.
Old 6/30/06, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How do you....

How do you remove the window switch plates?????
Old 6/30/06, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
How did you makethe door panel white??? dye? paint? Looks awesome.
Leather from Katskin...
Old 6/30/06, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pry until your fingers bleeeeeed - then get a hammer, then an axe
Old 6/30/06, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL. Seriously is that all there is to removing them? Also I went to Katzkin website but couldn't figure out how to order stuff.
Old 7/1/06, 04:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

LOL. Seriously is that all there is to removing them? Also I went to Katzkin website but couldn't figure out how to order stuff.
Find a local installer, they could order it. There's a thread around somewhere about a guy that did his own leather. Paid half what I did for the kit, then put it himself!! As far as the door panel, I'm sure you could get leather/vinyl from anywhere.....
Old 7/1/06, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
After many weeks of painting, thinking, painting again, thinking again, re-painting - aggggggghhhh

This is what I ended up with. Paint the pieces using the silver, and using decals from bobwhite
Nice outcome! Looks really good. It's the thinking part that's the longest.
Old 7/1/06, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

See post #7 of this thread. Pictures are included, so you know where to pry hard and where the axe comes in handy.
Old 7/1/06, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Spirit
Nice outcome! Looks really good. It's the thinking part that's the longest.
You started us all on this little voyage......now on to the next mod....
Old 7/24/06, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Great thread. Thanks for all the information. Got mine done over the weekend and probably saved around $60 over buying covers. I used the DupliColor Import Silver paint. Turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails Painting window switch plates-painted-switch-plate-02-large-.jpg   Painting window switch plates-painted-switch-plate-01-large-.jpg   Painting window switch plates-interior-large-.jpg  
Old 7/24/06, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

finally got around to seeing how hard the window switch plate was to remove and it took me literally 20secs or less. I don't know if the fact that it's an 06 made a difference. I didn't have to pry till my fingers bled. Tomorrow I'm going to go down to home depot and get the paint and sandpaper. Still debating if i want to paint the sub border and my door locks. Did any of you have problems with drips or is it pretty simple spray and wait till it drys then spray again??? Also how much sanding was really involved???
Old 7/24/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

My interior is finally finished, just completed this mod, and I did it without the sandpaper, I dont believe it is necessary, however I strongly urge a clearcoat. I will have pictures of it in this thread, once my final MGW pieces arrive
Old 7/24/06, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

finally got around to seeing how hard the window switch plate was to remove and it took me literally 20secs or less. I don't know if the fact that it's an 06 made a difference. I didn't have to pry till my fingers bled. Tomorrow I'm going to go down to home depot and get the paint and sandpaper. Still debating if i want to paint the sub border and my door locks. Did any of you have problems with drips or is it pretty simple spray and wait till it drys then spray again??? Also how much sanding was really involved???
I didn't sand. I like the textured finish of the plastic. Just apply thin coats by rapidly spraying across the cover. It shouldn't drip.
Old 7/24/06, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that some of you used clearcoat and some didn't on the painted switches, which is better to do? Now that I FINALLY figured out how to get the switches off, I am going to attempt this. Just need to know if clearcoat is a good idea or not. If it matters, my car is a weekend driver, so wear on the plates are less than normal. Thanks for the advise.
Old 7/24/06, 06:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I read that some of you used clearcoat and some didn't on the painted switches, which is better to do? Now that I FINALLY figured out how to get the switches off, I am going to attempt this. Just need to know if clearcoat is a good idea or not. If it matters, my car is a weekend driver, so wear on the plates are less than normal. Thanks for the advise.
I didn't use clear coat.look at the a/c rings(not the chrome) on the iup and that is what the paint will look like almost exact.I gave it about 6 coats.No probs so far.duplicolor import is the color
p.s. also lightly sanded with#600 paper
Old 7/24/06, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

wtf

I went to home depot, wal mart, sears, and micheals and I coulnd't find this duplicolor brand you all speak off. All I found was Krylon. Any Idea where I might find some of the duplicolor paint????
Old 7/25/06, 11:08 AM
GTR Member

I went to home depot, wal mart, sears, and micheals and I coulnd't find this duplicolor brand you all speak off. All I found was Krylon. Any Idea where I might find some of the duplicolor paint????
discount auto is where I bought mine.Try other auto supply stores too
Old 7/25/06, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I didn't use clear coat.look at the a/c rings(not the chrome) on the iup and that is what the paint will look like almost exact.I gave it about 6 coats.No probs so far.duplicolor import is the color
p.s. also lightly sanded with#600 paper
Thanks for the helpful tip Chuck. I'm going to tackle this, this weekend.
Old 7/25/06, 11:12 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Thanks for the helpful tip Chuck. I'm going to tackle this, this weekend.
Post pics when you get it done.Glad I could help
Old 7/25/06, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

I lightly sanded mine, just for better paint adhesion and added the clearcoat... I tried it without a clearcoat first, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to add that little bit more of protection against rubbing off... So I pulled them back out and applied 2 coats of clearcoat... They are holding up quite nicely... Even in this monster heatwave we're having...

Quick Reply: Painting window switch plates